2004 - 2008 F-150

Auxiliary Switches - Mounted in Ash Tray

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxiliary Switches - Mounted in Ash Tray

Hey Guys,

I want to put four switches in my ash tray on my 05 F150 with the center console. These switches are the controls to boost my HID headlights.

There will be two chrome turn ***** and two black flip switches. All four are not long and thus will fit in the ash tray easily. I'm going for a really stealth look for these that is also clean and OEM looking.

So I'm looking for ideas as to how and create a mount for the switches in the ash tray and how to make the cover to keep the top portion clean looking.

Any ideas or ideas on what material to use?

Thanks again,

Duke

Old 02-11-2007, 12:15 AM
No idea, but my lightbar installer did an awesome job with my control center, removed the ash tray and installed the controls on black metal finished plating and then into the dash for a clean install very OEM-like. I was very satisfied.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Can you explain how you can "boost" your HID's

Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by FX4REACTION1
Can you explain how you can "boost" your HID's
They're Gen 1 boosted ballasts. For more info on them, check out HIDPlanet.com/forums and search on gen 1 boosted ballast.

Basically it allows the ballast to put more than the standard 35W to the bulb. They vary from 35W to 90W. They've been heat sinked to help disapate heat and I don't really run them at 90W. At most I usually run halfway (approximately 60W) but need to measure what the exact wattage is per the turn of the pot **** that I'm trying to mount.

I also don't boost them in traffic so as to not annoy oncoming traffic.

This is apart of projector HID so the light stays below the legal cutoff and not in driver's eyes, unlike reflector HID.

Thanks for the pics commetflash. I'm going to try and keep the ash tray door in place so the switches are hidden.

Duke

Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
No idea, but my lightbar installer did an awesome job with my control center, removed the ash tray and installed the controls on black metal finished plating and then into the dash for a clean install very OEM-like. I was very satisfied.
Is that your POV? If it is, why do you have a light bar on it? Just curious. Do you have any more pics?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out 12voltguy.com he has some really nice looking switch panels and will custom make one for you if you can't find one you like or think will work......

Old 02-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned
F-SD upfitter switches.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash

I like the position of your light bar switchbox. Are those two seperate modules and what type of lightbar are you running. I am trying to decide what type of bar I want on my 2007. Below is a picture of my 1997 with a all light MX7000.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
This is how I did mine. I like them very much like this. 1 problem is that the left switch has a blue LED. It is so bright that it lights up the cab and is blinding. The on the right is read. It is not as intense of a light.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Switches - Mounted in Ash Tray