2004 - 2008 F-150

The Search for the Perfect Navigation (…etc) Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Search for the Perfect Navigation (…etc) Head Unit

TOPIC: The Search for the Perfect Navigation (…etc) Head Unit

Hello Guys,

Since you hooligans never go over to the navigation section…

So I’m aggressively looking at an in-dash solution for my truck. I’ve listed the requirements and the units I’m currently considering below. Do you guys think I’m missing anything or are there any other options to achieve the requirements?

Thanks for the help,

Duke

Requirements:
Navigation
Double-Din Display
Bluetooth
XMNavTraffic
IPOD interface or Hard Drive (to store songs)
RDS (not 100% and requirement currently)
Green Buttons Light up at nigh (not 100% and requirement currently)

Eclipse 6600-

Screen Shots of Device

Positives:
• Most OEM look
• Great buttons on side of screen
• Perfect green button light match
• Great user interface

Negatives:
• Doesn’t have BlueTooth
• Doesn’t have XMNavTraffic
• Doesn’t have RDS

Pioneer Z1- (add the Pioneer BT option)

Screen Shots of Device

Positives:
• Great user interface
• Least amount of significant negatives
• Built-In hard drive

Negatives:
• Doesn’t have green buttons (blue)
• Doesn’t have RDS

Kenwood 6019- (add the Kenwood Nav, BT, and iPod interface)

Screen Shots of Device
Screent Shots Continued (See Post #53)
Screen Shots of Navigation on Device

Positives:
• Meets all the “hardware” feature type requirements

Negatives:
• Very poor user interface for IPod, AM/FM, etc…

Last edited by F150 Duke; 05-15-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:38 PM
You likely know my opinion already. My vote is for the Z1. Has all the features you're looking for just not the green buttons.

From the pics I've seen, the blue buttons dont look out of place with our dash.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM
SnowmaNick
I'd say either the Eclipse or the Pioneer. The Eclipse in Rock Pick's truck looks awesome, and they have a great rep for great sound and reliability, so you should be fine if you go that route. Considering how much you want those green buttons, this is probably where you should go.

The stereo/nav isn't up to change until Q1 2007 on my budget, but I am leaning towards the Pioneer. Easier to find a better price on it and, well, I've owned about a dozen or so Pioneer HU's (great user interfaces/quality/sound) in the past, obviously I like 'em.

No diss on Kenwoods, they just have never been my flavor. I had one Excelon with the rotating mask face and had problems left and right with it. Also, from an aesthetic stance, I'm not crazy about the rolled corners I have seen. Both the Eclipse and Pioneer seem to fit a little more flush, adding to an OEM look.

Just my .02

Old 05-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by SnowmaNick
I'd say either the Eclipse or the Pioneer. The Eclipse in Rock Pick's truck looks awesome, and they have a great rep for great sound and reliability, so you should be fine if you go that route. Considering how much you want those green buttons, this is probably where you should go.

The stereo/nav isn't up to change until Q1 2007 on my budget, but I am leaning towards the Pioneer. Easier to find a better price on it and, well, I've owned about a dozen or so Pioneer HU's (great user interfaces/quality/sound) in the past, obviously I like 'em.

No diss on Kenwoods, they just have never been my flavor. I had one Excelon with the rotating mask face and had problems left and right with it. Also, from an aesthetic stance, I'm not crazy about the rolled corners I have seen. Both the Eclipse and Pioneer seem to fit a little more flush, adding to an OEM look.

Just my .02
I LOVE the looks of the Eclipse units but they really lack a lot of key features for me. BT, and XMNavTraffic most noteably. XMNAVTraffice and BT are the two main reasons for me to purchase. BT so I can have conversations handsfree over my car speakers and XMNavTraffic to route me with navigation around traffic in Minneapolis.

Duke

Old 05-15-2006, 03:48 PM
SnowmaNick
I hear ya on the BT especially. I wired in a simple Motorola BT speakerphone setup from Amazon for now, not nearly as slick as the HU, but I don't ever want to go back.

Pioneers are great HU's....if you could live with the blue buttons.

I live in L.A., there is no way around traffic here, so maybe thats why I am not as concerned about the XMNavTraffic...?

Old 05-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Suspended
Eclipse.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I vote for the Z1.

I'd hardly call the 6600 the most stock looking however with the silver bars on the top and bottom of it. The Kenwood and the Z1 look the most stock to me.

One thing to consider is the screen is going to be lit up in various colors, the stock background theme on all three units is blue. You really won't even notice the buttons being blue on the Z1.

mikebaby

Old 05-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by mikebaby
I vote for the Z1.

I'd hardly call the 6600 the most stock looking however with the silver bars on the top and bottom of it. The Kenwood and the Z1 look the most stock to me.

One thing to consider is the screen is going to be lit up in various colors, the stock background theme on all three units is blue. You really won't even notice the buttons being blue on the Z1.

mikebaby

Good point. And my GF just called me from work (must be spying on F150Online.com) and said to get back to work myself and get over the blue buttons. That at least I have blue on the dash when my high beams are on and the cold air button on the auto a/c controls has blue.

Duke

Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Good point. And my GF just called me from work (must be spying on F150Online.com) and said to get back to work myself and get over the blue buttons. That at least I have blue on the dash when my high beams are on and the cold air button on the auto a/c controls has blue.

Duke
big brother huh? Just imagine when you get married

;-)

Old 05-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by jc1999
big brother huh? Just imagine when you get married

;-)
Hey now, we'll have none of that married talk in here!

Getting back on topic, I could live with the blue buttons since most of the screen is blue themed.

Just would miss that RDS.

Duke

Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM
hint hint...Kenwood has it!!!! hint hint!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
SnowmaNick
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
hint hint...Kenwood has it!!!! hint hint!
LOL! But, Procomp, I thought you just loved that new Kenwood of yours

Old 05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Hey now, we'll have none of that married talk in here!

Getting back on topic, I could live with the blue buttons since most of the screen is blue themed.

Just would miss that RDS.

Duke
LMAO... Sorry I mentioned the M word... No disrespect Duke

Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I know, I am trying to get rid of it now! LIke I told Duke. This deck is really good IF you dont use the Ipod connection. The tuner is awesome with the RDS and friendly user menu. The DVD playback is really good quality. But the Ipod connection goes through the external aux port so therefor it doesnt have a good browser menu for all the songs. I use my ipod alllll the time so I cant stand this deck.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
I know, I am trying to get rid of it now! LIke I told Duke. This deck is really good IF you dont use the Ipod connection. The tuner is awesome with the RDS and friendly user menu. The DVD playback is really good quality. But the Ipod connection goes through the external aux port so therefor it doesnt have a good browser menu for all the songs. I use my ipod alllll the time so I cant stand this deck.
So how much do you want for the kenwood Procomp?

Quick Reply: The Search for the Perfect Navigation (…etc) Head Unit