2004 - 2008 F-150

Wheelwell toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelwell toolbox

Does anyone have one of these that goes over the hump of the wheelwell in the truck bed? Not one of the big diamond plate ones that goes all the way up to the side, but something more of a low profile?

Dan

Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't have one...but am very interested in a box like this, too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Craftsman makes something like what you are refering to.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I've actually been doing a lot of research on this lately. I too wanted a wheel well box for my Supercrew, but ultimately decided against it because I did not want to lose the bed extender functionality. But anyway, if you want one, the best one I found is made by Better Built. You can find them in Cabela's and a few other places. They are low enough that they stay under the bed rail for a clean install. Others that make them are Weatherguard, United Welding Services (UWS), and Delta but they are as tall or taller than the bed rail. There are both aluminum and steel versions available. I was planning to have mine sprayed with Line-X to match the bed, so the bright silver box wouldn't stand out so much.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Cool, thanks, I'll take a look see.
Originally Posted by Stephen S
I've actually been doing a lot of research on this lately. I too wanted a wheel well box for my Supercrew, but ultimately decided against it because I did not want to lose the bed extender functionality. But anyway, if you want one, the best one I found is made by Better Built. You can find them in Cabela's and a few other places. They are low enough that they stay under the bed rail for a clean install. Others that make them are Weatherguard, United Welding Services (UWS), and Delta but they are as tall or taller than the bed rail. There are both aluminum and steel versions available. I was planning to have mine sprayed with Line-X to match the bed, so the bright silver box wouldn't stand out so much.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Check out SSCULLY's post (#8) on the following thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235108

Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen S
...<snip>...Others that make them are Weatherguard, ...<snip>....but they are as tall or taller than the bed rail. There are both aluminum and steel versions available. I was planning to have mine sprayed with Line-X to match the bed, so the bright silver box wouldn't stand out so much.
The Weatherguard one is 2-1/2" below the top of the rail, I just measured mine.

This means it is ~ 1" below the bottom of the rail cover.

The options on the Weatherguard are White steel, bright AL diamond plate, and Black AL diamond plate. 2 widths to choose from.
I have the 9-1/4" wide version, there is also a 13-5/8" wide version.

By the pictues in the noted in the post #8 from the other thread above, you can see where this would take out a bed extender install real quick.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 04-04-2006 at 06:10 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I have a Better Built wheel well box on my Supercrew. I had to make a bracket to sit under the box and to attach to the side of the bed right above the wheel well. I also have two bolts going through the bottom of the box and the bottom of the bed. When my sister's fiance returns my welder, I plan on changing the nuts below the bed to weld nuts so that I can easily pull the box out of the bed without having to crawl under the truck every time. It also sits about 2 inches below the bed rail. I got lucky by nabbing one on Ebay that was in "new" condition but was never installed; so, it ended up costing me less than $150 including shipping. I know that Ebay usually has some Delta's for $200, and they would be part numbers 94 & 95, I think.

Quick Reply: Wheelwell toolbox