2004 - 2008 F-150

bed linner to replace two tone paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bed linner to replace two tone paint

I have a gray/silver two tone truck and i have hated the silver on the bottom since i got the truck. it shows everything! recently i have noticed that enterprise rentals uses the same color scheme for all of their f150 rentals in this area and that has pushed me over the edge. i have to get rid of the silver! i am thinking of using rhino linner or a similar product to use instead of paint. i think it will be more durable then paint and take the abuse of off-roading better. just looking for some opinions and maybe some pictures if any of you have seen this done before. thanks for any help you can give. oh and i am planning on going with black as my second color. anythought on other colors would be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by boobies78133
I have a gray/silver two tone truck and i have hated the silver on the bottom since i got the truck. it shows everything! recently i have noticed that enterprise rentals uses the same color scheme for all of their f150 rentals in this area and that has pushed me over the edge. i have to get rid of the silver! i am thinking of using rhino linner or a similar product to use instead of paint. i think it will be more durable then paint and take the abuse of off-roading better. just looking for some opinions and maybe some pictures if any of you have seen this done before. thanks for any help you can give. oh and i am planning on going with black as my second color. anythought on other colors would be appreciated.
I have seen 2 trucks around here that did that. I know one of the guys. At first it looked really good, and after about 6 months the bedliner started to fade. It looks like ***** now, and he is screwed. Maybe a stainless steel rocker panel all the way around may be a better choice. Just giving you a heads up on this.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Suspended
I've seen it on a lot of white F-250s/F-350s and well, I'd leave it to them personally. It could look good but it might not. But, if it doesn't look good and you don't like the turn out, you just ruined the bottom of your paint. Just keep that in mind.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Dude, time for some Diamond Plating!!!

Old 03-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I would think twice about the rhino liner. It would kill your resale value, But you could always have the bottom painted a different color or have it painted gray to match the top.
Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I agree with most of the replies.

If it was a beater truck or a trail rig I'd say go for it, but if you get that stuff on there and it doesn't look good or starts looking bad after a while then you're screwed. Line-X and Rhinoliner both claim that their product is permanent. A body shop would want a small fortune to remove that stuff.

Stainless and diamond plate aren't for me, but as someone else mentioned, you could just have it painted to match the rest of the truck or any color for that matter.

Just out of curiosity. Why did you buy the truck if you don't like the colors?

Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by baja150
Why did you buy the truck if you don't like the colors?

exactly!

Go to a body shop and have them paint the bottom gray and call it a day. Shouldn't cost too much...

Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by baja150
Stainless and diamond plate aren't for me, ...
Please understand, my post was a joke.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I thought 2 toned trucks were for grandpa's? IMO only way i'd buy a 2 toned paint is if the truck note was around 300 montly.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
exactly!

Go to a body shop and have them paint the bottom gray and call it a day. Shouldn't cost too much...
You can't have just the bottom painted. It'll look like crap. You'll always be able to see the tape line.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 AM
i got too good of a deal on the truck to turn it down.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by tardman91
You can't have just the bottom painted. It'll look like crap. You'll always be able to see the tape line.
No, if they guy knows what he is doing, he will blend the paint into the doors above the rocker panel, and then clear coat the entire doors.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
What about keeping the colors and adding a contrasting stripe or graphic that accents and divides the different colors? May think about a color that matched your interior.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Silver05
I thought 2 toned trucks were for grandpa's? IMO only way i'd buy a 2 toned paint is if the truck note was around 300 montly.
What are you talking about? Have you even seen a new body style two-tone truck? the two-tone is only along the bottom of the truck. Now, the old school two-tone trucks had the big section of two-tone running down the middle of the truck.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
What are you talking about? Have you even seen a new body style two-tone truck? the two-tone is only along the bottom of the truck. Now, the old school two-tone trucks had the big section of two-tone running down the middle of the truck.
That's what I was going to say. I personally don't like most two-tone jobs and I don't care too much for the "Arizona Beige" two-tone on the Lariat's, but I do like the dark grey two-tone on the FX4's.

Quick Reply: bed linner to replace two tone paint