2004 - 2008 F-150

The Time Has Come, Rancho Lift Install!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Time Has Come, Rancho Lift Install!

Yes, it will finally be my turn to be lifted this weekend. Unfortunately, I will have to run the stock tires for a couple of weeks because of money.

But, I have a neighbor who is an ASE certified mechanic that will be able to help me this weekend if I need him. He offered and I jumped on the oportunity. Other wise its going to be me (with a little knowledge, but not much) and my friend (NO auto help at all, he knows where the oil dipstick is, I think). Plus, I don't have school right now.

Any tips from anyone who has installed a lift kit would be helpfull. I am installing the Rancho Lift, Rancho skid, 9000's front, piggy back 9000's rear, and the controller for the 9000's.

I will take a ton of install pictures and put them in my gallery after this all happens. I am jacked about it. Wish me luck!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
Yes, it will finally be my turn to be lifted this weekend. Unfortunately, I will have to run the stock tires for a couple of weeks because of money.

But, I have a neighbor who is an ASE certified mechanic that will be able to help me this weekend if I need him. He offered and I jumped on the oportunity. Other wise its going to be me (with a little knowledge, but not much) and my friend (NO auto help at all, he knows where the oil dipstick is, I think). Plus, I don't have school right now.

Any tips from anyone who has installed a lift kit would be helpfull. I am installing the Rancho Lift, Rancho skid, 9000's front, piggy back 9000's rear, and the controller for the 9000's.

I will take a ton of install pictures and put them in my gallery after this all happens. I am jacked about it. Wish me luck!
I would NOT install it if you plan on running the stock tires... Wait untill you can get bigger tires...

Last edited by -TXF150-; 03-21-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:57 PM
His 18s will look a little better then the 17s.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Dont do it yourself with limited knowledge. I have installed a dozen lift kits and not one of them was "bolt on." Everyone took some amount of fabrication. Pay the money and get the warrenty.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by GotBeer
Dont do it yourself with limited knowledge. I have installed a dozen lift kits and not one of them was "bolt on." Everyone took some amount of fabrication. Pay the money and get the warrenty.
I second that motion...

I've never seen a kit that didn't invovle at least minor fabrication. Besides, someone needs to know how to set all of the angles correctly to ensure that the lift is safe, right?

Old 03-21-2006, 03:58 PM
That is why I am doing it this weekend instead of a couple of weeks down the road. My neighbor, who is an ASE certified mechanic, has done a few lifts is going to be helping me (or rather I will be helping him). This way, like you guys said, I don't start tearing the thing apart and have no clue what to do.

Now, I know pedegree doesn't hunt, but this guy seems to know all about the lift and what's involved. There will be some cutting to do but, I will have the tools at hand to do anything should it come up.

TXF150, I actually took your picture into consideration when making this early decision. But I think the 18's on my truck are a little bigger than the stock ones that were on yours. Plus, the Rancho kit isn't as big, depending on who you ask.

We shall see, but the kit has been in my garage for a month or two and is taking up space and moking me everytime I walk by it.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Awesome bro good luck! What tire/wheel set up are you going to run!

Old 03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I am going to run these rims:

I wanted something different for rims that not everyone was running. I also wanted Forged rims which put me up in cost but I got a good deal on these. They will be 20 x 10's. I think it will be a great looking set-up. Something a little different but nice at the same time.

and either nitto terra grapplers, Toyo's (come on sponsorship), or Goodyears. Still up in the air on the tires.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I had my friends shop put mine on. They are a 50 bay plus shop with 20 mechanics. They specialize on everything from Sterlings to Lambos. It took one of their better mechanics a good 14 hours.

I ran the stock tires and wheels for 2 weeks. They dont look too bad. Looks superduty-ish with all that room. I went with 285/70s on 17 inch oem wheels. I wish bfg would come out with a 285/80/17

It looks nice and drives perfect.

Last edited by rutherk1; 03-21-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 PM
u will need new tires and rims fast. IMO I wouldnt put the lif on unless you were getting new rims and tires within the week.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
His 18s will look a little better then the 17s.
i dont think so....

Old 03-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Awesome man, I think Im now seriously considering a fabtech or procomp lift on my 2wd, I wish I had the cash for the Rancho though.

rutherk1 - Not to steal the thread or anything but do you have any pics of your setup? Like I said im looking into a lift and right now I have the same tires. If I do lift it I would probably go up to 315/70/17 but I have no idea how long it might be. I do know gear_slammer I think has the same setup. Thanks

Old 03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Thrill if possible take some pics, hopefully will be doing the same lift within 2 or 3 months. Still undecided on whether Ill do it myself or not.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by KaNigIt
rutherk1 - Not to steal the thread or anything but do you have any pics of your setup? Like I said im looking into a lift and right now I have the same tires. If I do lift it I would probably go up to 315/70/17 but I have no idea how long it might be. I do know gear_slammer I think has the same setup. Thanks
No prob man. Sorry I didnt take it out of the garage. Its freezing out.

after install. Thats not me in the truck. That the guy that installed it. Im not that grizzly.

with the 285/70/r17s

The tires are just about 33x11.50s. With 35x12.50s GoRancho says that there may be some rubbing in hard off-roading. Something I dont want to worry about.

It is a very well thought out lift. Rides better than stock. Straignt as an arrow. Retails OEM driveline angles and no need to rebalance driveshaft.

Sorry they are garage shots. Its too damn cold.

Last edited by rutherk1; 03-22-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Good luck on your lift, and what part of Ohio are you in ruther? Just east of Columbus here.

Quick Reply: The Time Has Come, Rancho Lift Install!