2004 - 2008 F-150

Block Heater Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater Question

This winter I asked my dealerships parts dept. if they made a block heater for my truck, they said no. I just did a search in the forums and found a part number (4L3Z-6D008-AB) for a block heater. Is this the correct one for a 05 5.4? I live in PA and it doesn't get terribly cold but would this be a wise investment (forparts price is around $80) or could it damage the engine since it doesn't get real real cold here? Thanks. My thinking is would would eliminate cold starts during the winter therefore less wear and stress on the engine.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 AM
That's the one I used!

I put that exact block heater on my '04 5.4 with no problem over a year ago. I really don't "need" it much here (especially this past winter) but it sure speeds up the warm up time and shortens the wait till you start getting heat into the cab!

It was a pretty easy install. Since I have 4WD it was a little difficult to knock the freeze plug out. The best line-up to knock the plug happened to line up with the front driveshaft. Also, be prepared to scoot out from under the waterfall of coolant - I drained the system at the radiator but there's a lot of coolant trapped in the block.

The pictogram instructions for running the wiring kinda sucked, but I got it done.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info Lee. I know I have had a lot of problems with my dealership but I don't understand why they couldn't find this part number for me. Figures.

Last edited by cddavis; 03-11-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 AM
I had heard that that number might not be available any more, or had been superceded, but I guess the only way to find out would be to get them to order it. I got mine at a local dealer, special order.

It won't mess up your engine if it's not too cold out. If I remember right it's a 700 Watt heater. If the outside temp is around 32 or less, it won't even raise the temperature gauge off of "dead cold" but once you start it up the gauge will start showing heat in the engine in less than half the time it does without the heater.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure where you are in PA, but round here only the diesel needs a block heater. Gassers start fine at 5 below the few times we get even that.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I agree that it's definitely not needed - but it also doesn't hurt. Just like 90% of the time I don't need 4WD, but I have it. At $80 and a little DIY time, it's not bad. Even at 32 degrees it takes load off the starter and battery, but who can tell if that's a real life-extender or not.

I just like the fact that the truck is starting to put heat in the cab before I get out of the neighborhood. Helps the defroster keep the fog and frost off the windows quicker.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
block heater

I have the 2004 5.4 and could swear there was a plug in the engine compartment and when i asked dealer when picking up my new truck he said it was a block heater, standard equipment,,plug was located by radiator, will check again today, jop

Old 03-11-2006, 01:08 PM
jpmpd, let me know, I have been under the truck a couple of times but who knows, let me know what you find.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:14 PM
The plug just lays inside the opening below the grill, and you reach in the opening on the driver's side and pull the end out to plug it in. If you open your hood and look down behind the bumper the plug end would be laying on the rubber sheet that goes from the bumper to the radiator support.

But most trucks don't have them. I understand some were standard in Canada.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:14 PM
All canadian models came with one as standard equiptment, at least in 04 they did when I got mine.

I could have swore that most northern states came with them as standard as well.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Block Heater

2004 ,, 5.4,, bought in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,,built in Kansas,, yep ,,it's there,
on the drivers side right next to he transmission cooler on the rubber mat in front of the radiator,, looks like a rubber cylinder as it has a cap over the plug prongs,,make sure yours did not move somewhere,, for some reason i secured mine with a plastic tie down,,would save you money,, good luck,,jop

Quick Reply: Block Heater Question