2004 - 2008 F-150

Help I broke the blue plastic fuel line clip

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help I broke the blue plastic fuel line clip

This afternoon in a total fit of retarded, I managed to break the blue plastic clip that locks the fuel line onto the filter. I used one of the old style retainers as a temporary fix. While this is working as a band-aid fix I want to get it correct. Does anyone know it you can get a replacement clip from the dealer? I tried Autozone but they did not have them. Can they be purchased separately, or does the whole line need to be replaced?

Joe

Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autozone should have them in the "HELP" section of their store, if they don't have them Pep Boys should. But I don't think you should have a problem using the old style one you put on there. I used to work at a shop and those things broke all the time.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe this is a VERY common problem (unfortunately).

Try a quick search -- I seem to recall though, that the clips may be part of the assembly and thus, you have to order the entire thing to get the clips solo.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is very common, I broke mine as well but it still works with no leaks. It's more or less damaged.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I did a search first but I did not find anything very conclusive. I bought a set of GM style retainers that I will try to make work. They are the right size but I think that the shape of the fitting is too different. I also am toying with notching the fuel line so that the "old style" clip will lock. That is unless the new assembly is inexpensive and easy to replace. Until I do come up with a better fix, I will keep one of my Edge gages on fuel rail pressure so that if it does come loose I can detect it.

Joe

Old 02-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Until I do come up with a better fix, I will keep one of my Edge gages on fuel rail pressure so that if it does come loose I can detect it.
I have to admit, that's a VERY cool way to monitor the situation. That's definitely a plus for the Edge unit.

Good luck! I've been procrastinating changing my fuel filter because of those darn clips...

Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can someone take a picture of this stupid blue clip so I can see what y'all are talking about? 'Cause I swear my Supercab is setup differently, I didn't have to pry nothing loose, the rear line is just a push-and-pull type arrangement. And everytime I get a Supercrew in the air, I forget to look.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Can someone take a picture of this stupid blue clip so I can see what y'all are talking about? 'Cause I swear my Supercab is setup differently, I didn't have to pry nothing loose, the rear line is just a push-and-pull type arrangement. And everytime I get a Supercrew in the air, I forget to look.
I beleive its the same one on yours. I have broke two before just because by pulling up that little tab and pushing in would not get it off. Then I have taken numours others off with success and ease.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I think that they are the same. I broke mine by pulling too hard on the plastic clip. I thought that it was like the old style and the clip pulled out of the housing. Thinking that it was just stuck I pulled harder, until I heard it snap. I have called several of the local Ford dealers and the clip is not a replacable item. They only sell the entire line, for big $$. For now I will focus on fixing the line as it sits.

Joe

Old 02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Broke mine yesterday..

No biggie, a small cable tie through the two holes left by the clip and cinched tight ensures it grabs the lip on the inlet of the fuel filter, so its not coming off. Heck its just as secure as it was with the clilp since the clip provides interference at just two points, the cable tie provides interference around probably 150 degrees of the inlet. Just my .02..

Old 02-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Quintin,
See if you have the clip about 6 inches toward the rear from the filter. That's where mine is on my Scab, I did not have to unclip it to change the filter.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Glad to hear that I am not alone. I just broke my freakin' blue retainer clip yesterday changing my fuel filter. It was so brittle it seems like it was meant to break. I tried using some I bought at autozone but they snapped. The dealer wants 17 bucks for the fuel line tip(which includes the clip) you figure that with all the ones breaking(i'm sure thier mechanics have broken a few) they would only sell the blue clip and not an entire assembly oh well. ANYONE know what size I need? the aftermarket ones I used did not seem to fit through the small holes in the rear that hold the retainer in place. I have an 2005. Thanks

Last edited by TX-FX-4; 02-14-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:08 AM
What is the part number for this tip? All of the dealers that I talked to can only get the entire line. I was told prices from 120-160. For now the old style clip is working quite well.

Joe

Old 02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
What is the part number for this tip? All of the dealers that I talked to can only get the entire line. I was told prices from 120-160. For now the old style clip is working quite well.

Joe
What is the size of the old style clip? and does the clip go in first BEFORE placing it in the filter or place the tube in the filter and THEN insert the clip?
I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed to go to the dealer and it turns out she ordered the wrong clips. She ordered the aluminum ones like the type that attach the aluminum line of the filter on the engine side. As it turns out I got the same story today. You have to order the entire line. 105.00 dollars. That's bull. If you could please let me know what size/type clip you used and how to install i'll go that route. Also I may use a zip-tie as stated before. I'm a stickler for keeping stock components specially on the lines but i'm not spending 105 dollars for a freakin clip. Thanks

Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Suspended
why are you all changing your flue filters so soon on a 04 to 05 Truck???

Quick Reply: Help I broke the blue plastic fuel line clip