2004 - 2008 F-150

EDGE Evolution intitial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, Troyer isn't even rated in the top 5 by SCT.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Mine came about 10AM. Installed #2 & went for a short ride. The truck felt much peppier. And, the shifts were much firmer. The shifts seemed firmer the harder you got into it. Took it up to 102 MPH. The speed limiter on the 05 Lariat is much easier than the one on my old 99 Ranger 4.0. That thing would scare you when it cut in. I'll probably bump the speed limiter a bit

The gauges part seems to work well. The engine oil temp was 180+. The trans temp was 140+.

That's with 60+ outside temp. I want to see what they are when it's 99 & towing the RV. A little extra cooling may be in order. But, now with the gauges I can tell if that's so.

Last edited by Newt; 12-31-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Newt
Mine came about 10AM. Installed #2 & went for a short ride. The truck felt much peppier. And, the shifts were much firmer. The shifts seemed firmer the harder you got into it. Took it up to 102 MPH. The speed limiter on the 05 Lariat is much easier than the one on my old 99 Ranger 4.0. That thing would scare you when it cut in. I'll probably bump the speed limiter a bit

The gauges part seems to work well. The engine oil temp was 180+. The trans temp was 140+.

That's with 60+ outside temp. I want to see what they are when it's 99 & towing the RV. A little extra cooling may be in order. But, now with the gauges I can tell if that's so.
is #2 always a tow tune? can #1 be a tow then #2 87 performance and #3 91 performance???? or is it #1 tranny only and #2 always tow and #3 always hi performance???

Old 12-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Has anyone checked the 0-60 times for level 1 and for level 3? For that matter, is it possible to hook up the edge and monitor your stock settings? 0-60 stock times? I am very curious as to what the improvements are from one level to the next. One of the advantages I see with the Edge is this ability to check 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. After making changes, you don't have to go by "seat of the pants" feelings.....you can actually check your times. Come on guys, ........ where's the numbers?

Old 12-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
is #2 always a tow tune? can #1 be a tow then #2 87 performance and #3 91 performance???? or is it #1 tranny only and #2 always tow and #3 always hi performance???
#1 is a transmission only program. It changes nothing for the engine.

#2 is listed as a tow performance program 87+ octane fuel. It changes both the transmission & ignition timing & fuel injection strategies.

#3 is listed as a high performance program 91+ octane fuel. It uses firmer shifts & ignition/fuel injection strategies are more aggressive.

You can custom tune any of the tunes with the following:
Gear Ratio
Tire Size
Wide Open Throttle Shifting
Standard Shifting (ot wide open throttle)
Shift Firmness
Rev. Limiter
Speed Limiter
Fuel Octane
Wide Open Throttle Fuel

Old 12-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Surely you can adjust timing/fuel where you want it in either #2 or #3 tunes, can't you????

Old 12-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
Surely you can adjust timing/fuel where you want it in either #2 or #3 tunes, can't you????
I just told you what the manual says. I haven't had time to play with it much. I would think if you increased the octane. The program would at least advance the timing.

Two of the things you can put to the guages are ignition advance & cam position. So, you can make changes & see what it does there.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by MosineeFX4
Has anyone checked the 0-60 times for level 1 and for level 3? For that matter, is it possible to hook up the edge and monitor your stock settings? 0-60 stock times? I am very curious as to what the improvements are from one level to the next. One of the advantages I see with the Edge is this ability to check 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. After making changes, you don't have to go by "seat of the pants" feelings.....you can actually check your times. Come on guys, ........ where's the numbers?
Can you wait until Thursday?

Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by 02XLTSport
When using 87 octane with Level 3 you have to adjust the tune yourself.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my earlier post. If I run the Performance Tune #3 and input that I'm using 87 octane does the Edge automatically - adjust the engine parameters for the 87 octane, i.e., timing, etc.....or do I need to go in and retard the timing, etc?

Old 12-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by valenrandy
My thoughts:

First off, i'm no proffesional, i've never had a tuner/chip before. But here goes. The trucks power has changed noticably. After shifts the truck pulls nice and hard. 0-20 is ok, just a lil better than stock imo. 25mph and up its really noticable. After that the truck pretty much flys

there are still a few bugs to work out (tire size, gear size)
Maybe you guys can help, what is the tire size for an 05 kr 2x4 in mm?
the tire reads 265/60/18???
The edge manual states that all the values it uses are those that were retrived from he pcm originaly.....
Funny how it says Not to change the gear ratio unless you changed phisicaly i pressume and it al;ways says I have 3.73 yet the trucks sticker stated 3.55?
The edge said my tire size is 2955mm????? I dont think my tires are 37'??
My spedo is off because of this.
Also, doing a peelout from a stop does not seem that different than stock form, Still a lil bit of wheel spin, I thought someone had said they were laying down some rubber for like 20ft???? How do yoyu accomplish that?what settings did you use?? I have mine on high perf(91). I'd likwe to have the ability to do a nice burnout

but overal i'm happy.....
Valenrandy - the two areas of the stock Ford powertrain management programming that disappoint me the most are the slow, non-firm tranny shifts and the flat/dead spot in the powerband right after the 1st to 2nd shift. Doesn't really seem to matter if you are at WOT or 3/4 throttle - it just dies after the shift. Also, would like to be able to adjust the downshift into 1st to occur at a bit higher RPM level....if I'm cruising and the truck has just shifted into 2nd gear and I floor it - it won't downshift and has almost no power for a few agonizing seconds until the engine can build up revs....can you adjust downshift points with the Edge tuner? Initial throttle tip in is pretty good stock so I wouldn't expect to see a hugh improvement there - but then the engine seems to bog all the way through the powerband.

Can't wait to get mine on the 3rd - already running to the curb at the sound of the UPS truck coming down the street

Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I noticed last night. When running at just above idle(like in a parking lot), it has a slight surge. Hopefully this will go away. This was on tune 2.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Newt,

I'm currently running the Diablo Predator and noticed the same thing every so often. Can't wait until my Edge comes in.... hopefully it will show up tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Newt
I noticed last night. When running at just above idle(like in a parking lot), it has a slight surge. Hopefully this will go away. This was on tune 2.
Ive noticed that too, or like going over a bump slowly, seems like in my case the pedal is more sensitive and my foot bumped it slightly.

Also why does my edge say I have 3.73 when I have 3.55? In the manualy it says that the number comes directly from the original pcm programming?

The best 0-60 run ive had, is 8.258sec

thats great for me because when I had done my other 0-60 test a month or so ago I kept getting 9.2-9.5sec. I want to know how that other guy got his to 7.8 seconds

What are the best custom for the #3 program?
what should I put the shift firmness at?
What should I put the WOT fuel at? can I bump it to 2.00? or raise it slightly to 1.80?
If one of you guys has the best possible custom setup for this edge be a friend and let me know. I want to do 0-60 in atleast high 7s and quarters in 15s.

I love this thing! Finnally had my first 2 kills last night.... one was great, the other was funny!

First off: 2006 gmc sierra crewcab ( my friends truck! that aklways would beat me) Did 3 runs and beat him each time....

On the drive back home some guy in a riced out saturn was tail gatting me on a country road so I was going to let him pass, then he started to do that lil lane to lane swerve and turned on some geen strobe lights and I heard him punch it and i did too. he couldnt pass me up at all. I wouldf just leave him in the dust! after 3 tries he stopped trying to pass me up.

I know the last one is not so big but to me it was. My truck is great but ive never been able to take out many cars other than some screws with 4.6 in them, so this is a plus. Next is my friends quad cab hemi. I dont know about this one thats why I want to best customizable tune fo my truck if yall know it! But for now I am a happy man!!!!!!!!!! Happy new year guys/gals!

BTW all I have is drop in K&N and SIDO flowmaster with 3.55 gears

Last edited by valenrandy; 01-01-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by 04NickySP2
I actually just did one 0-60 and it was 7.80 all I have is a Flowmaster and K&N drop in filter.
This is what I need to be doing, we almost have the same stuff, flows/drop in k&n. I have 3.55, what do you have? what where your custom settings if you dont mind.

Big question. Is it true that the pcm relearns everything in about 30/50 miles and thus gets better or worse with this programmer?

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2006, 03:15 PM
First day of playing with the edge. Gotta say, this is one nice unit. I guess in my mind I was thinking this would be like most mods and I'll be disappointed with hp:$ rating.
First thing I did was just try out the trans only (1) setting. Took her for a spin and the shifts are so much better. You don't lose any speed between shifts and its nice and firm.
About 5 miles later I stopped and turned level 2 on. Feels great. Don't feel as much of that hp lag around the 2-3 anymore. I could hear that engine more than I could before. It feels as it kepts in the higher hp band for the entire 0-60.
On both level 1 & 2 I loaded the stock tune with the exception of the gear ratio. It loaded as 3.73 and I had to switch it to 3.55. I have 285/70R17's, which I did not change for yet. All I have is a drop-in K&N right now.
On the way home, took a country road and gave the 0-60 a shot. Not sure how accurate this is but it said: 60.4 mph @ 6.54 sec. It felt pretty quick, but since I have the edge in, my speedo is more off than it use to be. It really let those 285 BFG AT's loose, which it hasn't been able to do in the past.

Update: I have since fixed my tire size. Slowed the 0-60 to 8.74 sec. Little more tire spin off the line due to wet tires than last time though.
Speedo seems accurate now.

Last edited by hmfic; 01-02-2006 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: EDGE Evolution intitial impressions