2004 - 2008 F-150

Calling all lifted 04-06 F-150 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Calling all lifted 04-06 F-150 owners!

Whatis the average MPG you are getting? When you answer include what tire size you are running, and wheather you have switched gears, and if so what gears you are running. I am consistantly around 9.5 MPG, I just want to see where everyone else is at.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im getting 11.3 mpg with no mods but a K&N Drop-in and a lot of WOT.

35" Mud Grapplers
3.73 LS

I'll post back as soon as I get my exhaust, intake, and tuner.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 PM
damn!

I've got an 04 FX4 4wd. I'm getting around 13 or so, and near 20 on my last two long trips.

On my last one, I set the cruise control somewhere outside of minneapolis, Minnesosota and didn't take it off until I was almost to Illinois. (Ok, I lied. I stopped at a McDonalds for a McRib somewhere around Madison)

I've developed a habit of keeping the revs under 2250--the first line past 2000 I think--to get this kind of mileage.

If anyone has gone through a full tank of gas while in four wheel drive, please post the mileage!

-Fatz

Old 12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MnFatz
damn!

I've got an 04 FX4 4wd. I'm getting around 13 or so, and near 20 on my last two long trips.

On my last one, I set the cruise control somewhere outside of minneapolis, Minnesosota and didn't take it off until I was almost to Illinois. (Ok, I lied. I stopped at a McDonalds for a McRib somewhere around Madison)

I've developed a habit of keeping the revs under 2250--the first line past 2000 I think--to get this kind of mileage.

If anyone has gone through a full tank of gas while in four wheel drive, please post the mileage!

-Fatz
. . . your not lifted, are you?

Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Sounds like you guys need some gears. I get mine this Friday!

Old 12-15-2005, 03:32 AM
Right around 10.5 +/- .5 MPG
6" lift
35's
stock 3.55 gears
Dual exhaust
It really doesn't change a whole lot when I tow my boat either. But there is alot of stop and go traffic here. The worst I have ever seen.
I also haven't reprogramed my speedo or odometer yet, so It is really alittle better.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am trying to set my mind on a particular lift but keep pushing it back due to lack of reviews on each lift. I am leaning towards the Fabtech and Procomp but am considering the TrailMaster and the Tuff Country lift as well. I am wondering which kit provides the most flex and which kit(s) are easy to install and are of high quality. I am hoping to clear 37's so I'll need further applications to assist me in my quest, but I want to see what I run after all my performance mods, and then lift. I had my mind made up on the MKW MK19 rims but they won't fit our trucks, that was my dream rim as some of you know and now I'm searching for a knockoff that will fit or something similar. I am very hard to please when it comes to rims. As for tires, I'm getting Mud Graps and have had my mind made up for a long time. I am getting 11.3 mpg with my mods right now but I always feather the pedal to hear my exhaust/intake so thats the major contributor. I can get up to 19mpg on the freeway, almost 20. I have the 3.73LS (can someone clarify whether the front an open diff or not, I believe it is).

Anyone with any information on what I've posted?

Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Currently on Winter Gas... 12.5 MPG. See my signature for the mods. As for lift choice.... I went with the Pro comp. My choices came down to Pro Comp or Fabtech. I reviewed installation instructions for Skyjacker, Pro Comp, and Fabtech. I tried to get the instructions for the Trailmaster; but, couldn't. I excluded the Skyjacker only because of the red color and learned later that it was actually black and red color was only marketing crap. Regardless, I wanted a front bolt on coil over. Prior to this I had installed a skyjacker 3" and had a difficult time find a shop to compress the heavy springs. I just didn't want to fool with this again. I selected the Pro Comp because Fabtech's instructions had several warnings about re-balancing the front drive shaft. I thought I wouldn't have to do this with the Pro Comp. Now, I have a slight vibration coming from the front diff or drive shaft when I engage 4H and drive in the 50MPH range. I am going to have the front drive shaft re-balanced.

As for installation, the Pro Comp was real straight forward and not too difficult. The lift took about a day to install - maybe 6 to 8 hours. The instructions were a little vague in some instances; but, everything worked out real good.

Lastly, most of the kits include new cross members. The Pro Comp kit does not include a skid plate and I am somewhat uneasy about the fact that the two cross members are not tied together. As such, I have ordered a front skid plate and will follow this with an install of two steel plates to tie the cross members together. Today, I am reluctant to do any significant off road driving because of the exposure for the front cross member. I don't recall if the Fabtech lift included a skid plate; but, it sure seems to me to be absolutely required to protect the front cross member from a solid blow.

The picture below shows only the 3" skyjacker. I am having my truck detailed today and will post pics in the next couple of days after I get the traction bars installed. With the 6" Pro Comp, I could clear 37's with little difficulty. Of course, part of this is the wheel back spacing.

Last edited by tschaid; 12-15-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:08 AM
I have the procomp 6" lift on 35" BFG ATs with 3.73LS stock gears, K&N Drop in and SC 1714. On average I tend to get about 10-12 in the city and 13-14 on the highway, through the mountains of WV I seem to get 10 on the highway with all the overdrive.

As far as lifts, I still say both procomp and fabtech make great 6" lifts. I chose procomp because of the aftermarket options of the complete front skid plates. As stated before, the front end on these lifts are scary exposed and without any plates, extrememly dangerous to offroad with. I ordered the front plates (shown in my gallery) but not the traction bars because I didnt get much wheel hop and they limit clearance. I might one day for cosmetic reasons but its low on the list.

I dont think you can go wrogn with either lift, if you looks at the parts they are pretty equal. I do like the fabtech front cross member, but the skid plate options for fabtech werent as good. The procomp plates also tie the front and rear members together, which you could also do yourself if you wanted to. I wish the plates were a heavier gauge but I have smacked a couple things with them and they seem to work well.

Again both great lifts.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM

I bought this 6" Procomp Lift off ebay but I refused to pay after being warned the parts are wrong. Do those of you agree who have the Procomp 6", this has incorrect parts as he reassures me he went to the Ford dealer in his area and checked the parts to make sure they're correct, which they were. We had a small ebay dispute but just ended today in him getting refunded for his ebay fees and no penalties on either side. $695 was a steal, so I wish it was the correct kit.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Josiah,

Here are the parts from my lift. I commented on this before, but I think some are the right parts and some arent. Overall I think it was a good move to not get the kit.
Check em out, what do you think?
The pic doesnt show the spindles, which defintely arent the same as mine.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
Sounds like you guys need some gears. I get mine this Friday!
hey fourpointsix, where are you goin to get your gears and how much $$ is it going to cost?

Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6" fabtech lift, 35x12.50x18 mud tires, stock 3.73 gears, in a supercrew 4x4. I am currently averaging 10MPG. +/- .5mpg

Old 12-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I think it's both crazed, but moreso the tires than anything...I'm pretty sure most people saw a small mpg decrease when putting on a leveling kit just because the aerodynamics around the truck are different since the nose is higher -- but I think that overall is minimal compared to the tires.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
Does the lift itself have an affect on the mileage or is it just the tire size?

I am purchasing tschaid's 3" skyjacker lift & would go w/tires around 33" or so (I have like 32" now).
I currently vary between 14 & 16 mpg city driving, would that drop drastically?
I have the 3" skyjacker with 33" procomps on my 4.6L 4x2. I get about 13-14mpg all city.

Quick Reply: Calling all lifted 04-06 F-150 owners!