2004 - 2008 F-150

Brake controller location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controller location?

Ordered a 06 Lariat, which is to be built this week of the 12th. Has the Captians seats. Was wondering where you guys have been locating your trailer brake controllers. In my 2003, it had the nice little hole in the dash near my right knee for this. Wondering where you guys were doing this

Dan Stuckey
Altoona, Pa

Old 12-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Left side Inder the dash there is a metal plate, It almost looks like thats what its there for, if its not ment for it you coulda fooled me. Thats where I put mine. Fitment is perfect and I have never hit my leg on it. out of the way and easy to see. Give it a look.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by dlandis03
Left side Inder the dash there is a metal plate, It almost looks like thats what its there for, if its not ment for it you coulda fooled me. Thats where I put mine. Fitment is perfect and I have never hit my leg on it. out of the way and easy to see. Give it a look.
Yep! That's where mine is...I just kinda found it, works great and the controller is able to be level there also as that's important with many of the brake controllers like mine that are inertia activated.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Good to read this as I will be mounting one soon. I understand the wiring is already there for the controller to connect to. Where do I find this wiring in relation to that plate? Also, do I need an "adapter" harness to connect aftermarket controller to this Ford wiring?

Old 12-11-2005, 01:05 PM
The harness you get from Ford has a connector on one end that plugs into the stock wiring, and is bare on the other end. just follow the wiring diagram and you should be able to connect any controller no problem.

BTW Ford also supplies the relay to make it all work.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
The harness you get from Ford has a connector on one end that plugs into the stock wiring, and is bare on the other end. just follow the wiring diagram and you should be able to connect any controller no problem.

BTW Ford also supplies the relay to make it all work.
Thanks. Do you know what that wiring harness costs in CAD$

Old 12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Do you know what that wiring harness costs in CAD$
If you got the tow package, then you already have it. It will be in a clear plastic bag either in the glove box, or one of the door compartments. The supplied relay you will need is in the bag too. It plugs in to the fuse box on the passenger side floor kick panel. By the way, I mounted my controller under the dash, drivers side, between the programming port and the center console as well.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I mounted my Prodigy on the left.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by dlandis03
I also put my Prodigy there. I figured it must be meant to be there because I couldn't figure any other reason it was there.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
If you got the tow package, then you already have it. It will be in a clear plastic bag either in the glove box, or one of the door compartments. The supplied relay you will need is in the bag too. It plugs in to the fuse box on the passenger side floor kick panel. By the way, I mounted my controller under the dash, drivers side, between the programming port and the center console as well.
Ah ha. That is what that little bag of goodies is for. So I simply put the relay in the fuse box and power is supplied to the controller? No more running a wire thru the dash to the battery like the old days?

Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Daleford
Ah ha. That is what that little bag of goodies is for. So I simply put the relay in the fuse box and power is supplied to the controller? No more running a wire thru the dash to the battery like the old days?
Actually the power for the controller and the electric trailer brakes comes in through the harness you plug in under the dash (supplied in the bag). The relay you plug into the fuse box sends power to the trailer battery charge wire in the 7 pin trailer plug in back. That way your trailer battery will charge when your plugged in.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Thumbs up

OK I think I got it. I looked closer at the bag of goodies [4l3t-15a416-a]
and looks like everything is there including instructions. The bag had been opened [this is a used truck] but harness unused. thanks

Old 12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
I just picked up my 06 FX4 a few days ago and want to mount my Prodigy brake controller. I do not see any metal plate under the left side of the dash. There is the parking brake and the parking brake release, but no metal plate???

Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 PM
It is on the left side of the center console, between the program port and the center console. Can't miss it.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
It is on the left side of the center console, between the program port and the center console. Can't miss it.
Ford must be changing their usual crap. Mine is between the steering column & the emer brake.

Quick Reply: Brake controller location?