2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine toast at 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine toast at 3000 miles

My truck was leaking oil all over my driveway so I took it in to my ford dealer and they said it was a casting problem. So now Im out of a truck for a week ( oh and I have to pay for a rental while it's being fixed) Called me tonight and said they are droping in a new engine. any thoughts?
if
i have to pay for a rental it will be the first and last ford I buy.
P:S 5.4

Old 11-15-2005, 05:56 PM
So it was in your best intrest to drive the vehicle after oil as already been lost ?

Old 11-15-2005, 05:58 PM
If you have to put the money up front for the rental..I would be calling Ford customer service, just to let them know how you feel about it. Then go talk to the owner, call the district service manager, *****,, call the president. I cant believe they told you, you have to pay for it...Thats B.S.

BREW

Sorry, Im just bitter with Ford right now. Actually, I HATE them right now. No more Mr. Niceguy...Im done.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Let me get this straight...you are getting a NEW, FREE engine and you are complaining? And don't even get me started on you driving a truck that obviously should have been towed!

YOU ARE LUCKY THEY DON'T DENY YOU A NEW ENGINE BECAUSE OF NEGLECT!

Guess what my friend, loaner cars are NOT standard and free and it's a treat if you get one. Nowhere when you bought your truck did it say you get a free loaner car. So just give it up already....everything does not have to be free.

Why the hell do they owe you one anyway? When you spill coffee on your shirt does the dry-cleaners loan you another while they clean it? When best buy sends your TV for repairs do they LOAN you another in the mean time?

You my friend are the reason i live in a gated community.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by kelmvor
Let me get this straight...you are getting a NEW, FREE engine and you are complaining? And don't even get me started on you driving a truck that obviously should have been towed!

Guess what my friend, loaner cars are NOT standard and free and it's a treat if you get one. Nowhere when you bought your truck did it say you get a free loaner car. So just give it up already....everything does not have to be free.

Why the hell do they owe you one anyway? When you spill coffee on your shirt does the dry-cleaners loan you another while they clean it? When best buy sends your TV for repairs do they LOAN you another in the mean time?

Lol, great post and great truck

Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 PM
I think your beef would be more of a customer service issue with the dealer than with Ford directly. There are Ford dealers and then there are real Ford dealers that understand customer service. I picked my Ford dealer in a town 30 minutes from my local dealer because the customer service difference was obvious (and a better deal to boot).

Heck, my wife can drop my FTX off for my free oil change and service (gave me a 3 year maint. agreement in the deal) and they let her take almost any new car off the lot to drive and run errands while they do the service work!

Old 11-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd want a vehicle to drive around in if they are taking a week to fix it... And it's Ford's fault. Okay, so he drove it to the dealership. You still do not know if it leaked out 1/2 quart on his driveway or all the oil...

And I think a free engine is required here, especially if they said it was a casting problem from Ford... That doesn't scream anywhere that it was his fault. The truck only had 3k miles on it... what do you expect from a new vehicle? How much damage could an owner do to a stock vehicle in 3k miles? I'd have a different story if he had bought the truck and stuck a supercharger or a nitrous system on it right away... but that does not appear to be the case. Plus having a motor change will lower the resale value of a vehicle.

In short, a new vehicle, unmodified or abused by the owner shouldn't need a new motor at 3k miles. This just sounds like one of those quality control issues that slipped past Ford.

Ford needs to do something to make sure dealerships are providing better customer service though. Some dealerships are kind of like, "Once you signed the line, we don't care anymore because we got your money"... The Ford dealership I'm close to (and the only SVT dealership in the city) here I hate... I can't stand going there for anything. I drive about 30 minutes away to take my truck to a dealership that treats me better.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by 04Lariat05kr
Lol, great post

I thought it was quit ignorant myself! You cannot compare a TV or a Shirt to a $40k truck. Thats just stupid. He didnt say he DROVE the truck to the dealer. He said he took it. Maybe, it was towed, maybe the leak isnt really as bad as he makes it sound, he filled it with oil and was able to drive it there. Or maybe, he just drove it with not one drop of oil in it. Either way, after 3000 miles, a bad casting is just unaceptable to me. Sure..***** happens, we all know that. But to make him pay for a rental car is ludacris ( and I dont mean the rap artist) Ford needs to step up a little and take care of all the problems with these trucks, and help us owners out. Im tired of hearing about guys getting screwed over by Ford. Its B.S. and its B.S. for you to come here and rag on the poor guy and tell him Ford owes him nothing and he should be happy hes getting a new engine...think about that..were you serious when you said that.

Sorry for the rant, it just pisses me off that Ford wont step up here, and not just with his blown engine. All the Vibes, shakes, shimmys, rear clunk , bang, shudder, rattle in the steering column, failing brakes, squeaking rear windows, rusting out bed sides....should I go on? I've been battleing with Ford for over a year to fix my truck and its still not fixed. All I get are empty promises. I dont expect you guys who have a perfect, trouble free truck to understand. But don't tell the guy He's lucky he's getting a new engine and Ford doesnt owe him *****. One of these days, it might be you with the problem. I just hope by then, Ford has it figured out and takes care of you in a professional manner and doesnt shrug you off and say the truck is fine as it shakes the teeth out of your head when you drive away

BREW

Old 11-15-2005, 06:36 PM
it boils down to this

FORD and YOU {(the buyer) entered into a LEGAL contract when you purchased the truck.

NOWHERE did it say they would pay for a rental vehicle while it was being fixed.

Sorry, but you KNEW when you bought it that there was no free rental program.

But if they want to be nice and help you out, then it's UP TO YOU to find those few nice dealerships that go out of their way to fix you up.

Oh, and 40k trucks and 40 dollar shirts are the same. Price does not determine the "seriousness" of the need for freebies.

You guys are just BITCHIN' about not getting a free lunch....enjoy your new engine

Old 11-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It happens. Hope you get your truck back ASAP.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 PM
I would be upset too. You spend your hard earned cash for a dependable piece of transportation and you get something subpar. Why do you think Ford and GM stocks are rated "junk". Crappy customer service and crappy products. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if they didnt try to give you a reman engine instead of a new one. I hate the idea of having a tech tear into my new truck and leaving half the nuts and bolt loose and Lord knows what else.(been there) Kelmvor, How is asking for a loaner a freebee? Christ man! He just spent 30 grand on a brand new truck and it needs a engine. I dont thinking asking for a loaner is out of line and Ford should pay for it. Its not like you need a TV to get to work or have just one shirt to wear to work. Quite a few people do only have ONE vehicle in their household. Kelmvor, My recommendation to you is to wake up and get out of your gated community.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:51 PM

very well said, i have been working in Ford dealers for almost ten years, and every year it get worse. no matter how new or how old their truck/car/suv is they think Ford should pay for everything. Ford is obligated to repair the defect as per thier warranty agreement, and it sounds like thats what you dealer is doing for you. if your truck had 150000k miles and it was in perfect shape, and you blew up the engine would Ford have to pay for the rental? no its your truck your responsiblility.

it boils down to this

FORD and YOU {(the buyer) entered into a LEGAL contract when you purchased the truck.

NOWHERE did it say they would pay for a rental vehicle while it was being fixed.

Sorry, but you KNEW when you bought it that there was no free rental program.

But if they want to be nice and help you out, then it's UP TO YOU to find those few nice dealerships that go out of their way to fix you up.

Oh, and 40k trucks and 40 dollar shirts are the same. Price does not determine the "seriousness" of the need for freebies.

You guys are just BITCHIN' about not getting a free lunch....enjoy your new engine
Why are you making a big deal about him getting a "NEW" engine? He shouldn't NEED a new engine. Replacing the engine was a requirement. And ford usually doesn't give you NEW engines. They're usually engines that have been pulled out of other Ford vehicles and rebuilt... So, you really only get a "New" vehicle when you buy the whole vehicle new.

You must not know anything about customer service and customer satisfaction to be making comments like these. Who would want to spend $40k on a new Ford truck and then have to deal with horrible customer service afterward? A rental here should be given because he'll be without his vehicle for a week that he shouldn't be out of a vehicle for...

You can get a Toyota or Honda and get better treatment better at the service centers. The kind that lets you know they care about you after the purchase... The one toyota dealership in Metairie would keep their drop of centers open until midnight and give you a ride back to your house or work. Even pick you up... You got to drop your vehicle off at the front and go inside to fill out paperwork... Now, where do I have to go at the close by ford dealership? I have to drive back of a large lot to the truck garage... find a place to park... walk into the garage by this glass booth and try to get someone's attention to fill out the necessary paperwork. And then I have to walk competely across the dealership to get back to the front to either wait for them to finish or get a friend to pick me up. Yeah, it screams great service that makes me feel great about my purchase...

NOWHERE did it say they would pay for a rental vehicle while it was being fixed. Sorry, but you KNEW when you bought it that there was no free rental program.
Blah...Blah...Blah...Yada...Yada...Blah...Blah...

Old 11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Wow, so you are guys are saying that if your engine died at 3000 miles and Ford had to install a new engine, you wouldnt be pissed if you were out of a vehicle. So you are making payments and do not even have a vehicle. Just remember, this is not warranty repair, this is a defect in the casting. This is a defective product and Ford does not supply a vehicle while his is being fixed. Whats to say they will take their time, and he has to pay the longer they take? For the dumbass that compared this to a TV or whatnot, well idiot we are talking about a means of getting back and forth to work and such, not a F'ing luxury such as a TV. Id raise hell at the dealer and demand a F'in rental, the truck was clearly defective since it was sold, this is not typical warranty repair. Some people need everything explained to them...

Quick Reply: Engine toast at 3000 miles