2004 - 2008 F-150

Welcome to Orlando!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to Orlando!

So, I had to go to Orlando on bidness. We are doing the exterior glass on "The Plaza" on Orange Ave.

www.plazaorlando.com

I have to do the safety thing with our folks. Stayin' at a Hampton Inn on University (nice area). I come out Thursday AM, unlock w/the remote get in start it up & reach for my log book. I see glove box open & stuff strewn on seat. WTF??? get looking around. XM radio, bracket, and modulator are gone. Also, got Nikon digital camera, bag and Fluke test pen.

Perp missed V-1 and tool box w/$3000 worth of $nap-ons behind driver's seat. No damage to the truck!

Guy tore off passenger side VentVisor & muscled down window about 3". Still a long reach to the button.

Sheriff deputy comes out, pretty cool guy, had to wait a little for the dew to dry to get prints. Got a nice set of palms on outside of window, fingers on inside of window. Deputy says it looks like textbook prints, if he's in the system, they'll get him.

Deputy asks if I/company will prosecute. I told him I'm from Atlanta, but will be in ORL once/month for the next 6-8 month. I'll be happy to schedule a trip down if I have to go to court.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Well, that just sux...

My first day ever in Orlando, went something like this.....sister picks me up at the airport...on the way home we almost got run off the road. Got within 10 miles of her house, stopped at a light and across the street I see 2 guys get out of a car, walk up to the car in front of them, pull the guy out and literally beat the chit out of him, right there in the street. I was like WTF..Sister looks at me and says (with a smile) Welcome to Orlando!

True story.

BREW

Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, they got you a ways from downtown. Lots of young kids over there by the college. I guess motels are natural targets, no matter what area you're in.

I've lived in Orlando almost all my life (since '69). I'm almost ready to consider moving someplace a little less busy, with fewer illegal aliens, welfare recipients and drug addicts running around. The 'good' areas are fewer and further between. The area where I grew up is almost all hispanic ghettos now.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I was in Orlando for 7 months in 2003. Worked on the Stanton Energy Center at the end of Alafaya Trail. The days I drove to work (stayed on Goldenrod) I felt like it was a demolition derby on 408 to Alafaya & down to work.

Half the time I road my bike (read bicycle) down Goldenrod to Lake Underhill to Alafaya. Most times I felt safer on the bike.

And what the freak is it with the tolls? Every tinme I change lanes I gotta go thru a toll booth? I think they should set up at a booth on I-75/95 Southbound at the GA border & charge everybody $10 one time.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, Orlando never got Federal funding for it's beltway like Atlanta did. When they first built the East-West (408) back in the 70's, the politicians promised that the tolls were 'temporary' until the road was paid for. Show me one politician that remembers that promise today!

No friggin' way would I ride a bike in those roads. I grew up in that area, my Mom now lives off Goldenrod (a bit further South) and my sister lives near University and Dean.

I live further North in the Maitland/ Casselberry area now. I rarely use the toll roads because they are never going in the same direction I am.

Holler next time you're down and I might have to buy you lunch.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:37 PM
The last time I was in Orlando, Mickey Mouse took by bank account for a ride downhill. Man was it expensive to see the kids smile for a week. Wifey smiled a lot too. I smiled once and that was when I sat in my seat in the airplane for the ride home.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Hey Rocky..I know that area. When I lived with my sister, we were just off Rt50 ( colonial drive ) Shes up in Christmas now, had to get out of her old neighborhood, it turned into little havana.

I'll let you know next time im down there. Its getting time to go visit sis and the family, and oh yeh, my Ex lives downtown.

BREW

Old 11-07-2005, 08:38 AM
poor orlando! work there, but don't live there!
sorry to hear about your stuff - hope they get someone! I drive by that construction everyday and yes traffic in a big city SUCKS and alot of rude drivers, not to mention all our OLD people that won't get out of my way!

Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have lived in and around orlando since '89 (went to UCF near where you are staying). I have never had any problems with crime. Sorry to hear about the break-in.

And the clogged roads keep me in business. I design roads, highways, etc. for a private consultant. We are actually the General Consultant for the toll roads. The tolls will not go away because the state does not have the money to maintain, operate and upgrade the toll roads.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by BlueFlareside
I have lived in and around orlando since '89 (went to UCF near where you are staying). I have never had any problems with crime. Sorry to hear about the break-in.

And the clogged roads keep me in business. I design roads, highways, etc. for a private consultant. We are actually the General Consultant for the toll roads. The tolls will not go away because the state does not have the money to maintain, operate and upgrade the toll roads.

so you really do layout conjestion into the new roads! when you going to get all the E-pass toll booths high speed?

Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ben-stang
so you really do layout conjestion into the new roads! when you going to get all the E-pass toll booths high speed?
No, we do not design congestion into roads. We can only design what our clients can afford. My big job will go under construction in January of 2007. It's the 6-laning of SR 50 from SR 436 to SR 417 with an interchange at SR 50 and SR 436. SR 50 will go over SR 436 with ramps to access SR 436. It's called a Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI). http://www.kurumi.com/roads/interchanges/spui.html

All of the mainline toll plazas on OOCEA toll roads (in Orange County) will be converted to Express plazas within the next year or two. the Holland East plaza (SR 408 - just east of lake Underhill) will be under construction in the next 6 months. The toll plazas are getting converted in order of priority by traffic numbers. Check out this map for the 5 year work program projects http://www.expresswayauthority.com/a...%20Summary.pdf

Last edited by BlueFlareside; 11-07-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:26 AM
thanks for the great info! looks like it will be better when done - but a mess getting there!

Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by RockyJSquirrel
Man, they got you a ways from downtown. Lots of young kids over there by the college. I guess motels are natural targets, no matter what area you're in.

I've lived in Orlando almost all my life (since '69). I'm almost ready to consider moving someplace a little less busy, with fewer illegal aliens, welfare recipients and drug addicts running around. The 'good' areas are fewer and further between. The area where I grew up is almost all hispanic ghettos now.
That's most of Florida these days..

Quick Reply: Welcome to Orlando!