2004 - 2008 F-150

Who hates their after market exhaust????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I originally had a SIDO custom catback install with a FLowmaster 40 series. Well, the FLowmaster vibrated everything and droned really bad. It was a combination of a half-assed install done by the local shop(Rainbow muffler in Mcdonough Ga-do not go there). I wanted a nice sounding muffler without the vibrations, so I bought a Magnaflow 14in SIDO and they hesitantly installed it(they claimed that EVERYONE loves a flowmaster, well I didnt) After the Magnaflow install the truck was much smoother and much less drone with a much deeper sound like I wanted. However, I looked under the truck and they gooped up the muffler outlet with some sort of muffler patch sealer, I called and they claimed that they could get it to seal. I said I dont want and crap on my brand new truck and also the tips after the install were off center. I took it back to them and the punk kid at the front gave me crap. I am taking it to a recommend muffler shop here to install different rubber mounts to absorb more of the vibration and also raise the tips back up some and install different tips as the SS ones I have turned brownish. Well this all has been an experience and Ive learned not to take it to shops that I dont know. Rainblow Muffler really does not show the customer service and quality to be in business...and I told them that.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st i had magnaflow SIDO (not very good sounding) but smashed in the pipes from doing a hill climb. Then ran straight muffler for a while (loud but not good sounding) then got everything redone with flowmaster SISO with the tip tucked over the rear axle as to not take a chane of messing it up again. This setup sounds best of all 3 but still isnt quite the sound i'd like to have. i was told by my friend at muffler shop that these trucks are generally quiter than others.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 AM
It seems a lot of people on here end of changing exhaust more than once, myself included. I changed from the stock exhaust to a 40 Series Flowmaster dumped under the bed. It sounded pretty nice but the midrange was too raspy and I lost a lot of low end. I changed it to what I have now, a SI/SO 3 inch IMCO Extreme muffler with pipe exiting in the stock location with a 24x3.5 inch angle cut tip. It sounds really nice, but it's EXTREMELY loud. I have a hell of a drone, especially on the highway. I do like the exhaust sound, but even on a 45 minute drive it got really obnoxious. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Y pipe and running a Magnaflow DI/SO into the 3 inch tailpipe I have now. This won't happen for a while however.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Anyone running DI/DO system or true duals?

Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Di/so

I run a dual in, single out exhaust, cut out the factory Y and went with 2 2.5" pipe to muffler and one 3" pipe out the side in factory location. Had a Flowmaster 70 series in there first. Sounded good driving around nice a easy, rumbled so nice. Down the road at 70 it had no drone, just a nice rumble in the back ground. Then I floored it, sound was gone, all I heard was motor. Race my nephew who has an 05 FX4 too, and I was slower than stock.

Then I replaced the bafflemaster with a Magnaflow part # 12588, same style, 2 in one out. Picked up pretty good power with the magnaflow, I put 2 trucks on my nephew instead of losing by one. It sounds so good at WOT, but it's a little loud down the highway at 70, it has a little bit of that droney noise. I'm just really happy with my Magnaflow.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 AM
I have dual flowmaster 40's and no drone at all above 55mph. I like the way it sounds at low speeds.

Grim

Old 10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I have 40 series SI/SO flowmaster with stock piping and a 3.5" tip.

Sounds great! ONly drones a bit at about 1900-2000 RPM. No power gain, certainly no power loss.

Certainly gets people's attention when I get on it.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by cvc14
I have not heard anyone complain about there Gibson pipe.
I was looking in to one of these b/c from what I hear they are not the loud.
I would like to have a deeper exhaust tone but I dont want it to be loud in the cab. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction then...
I was wondering the same thing. I want to get the Super Truck Cat back from Gibson (the side exit system). I have not seen many posts on this forum about Gibson systems though. Anyone have any likes or dislikes about this company/system?

Old 10-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Installed Magnaflow SISO. I absolutely love it--great sound, great performance, and no drone. Would definitely recommend to others.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:32 AM
[QUOTE=BREWDUDE]I hate mine....everyone stares at me while I drive past them

they're just jealous man

Last edited by pat williamson; 10-13-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:26 AM
I love mine. ZERO drone. The Excursion, on the other hand, I hate. Zero sound/performance difference from stock, should have saved my money.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
For all the people who removed one and then put on a new system. Do you want to sell the first one?

Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by abadf150
What exhaust doesn't cause cabin drone?
Open headers all the way! That's the way to go.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by mwheue
I dont disagree with the above statement however. I replaced my muffler only with a Magnaflow Muffler as the pipes from the factory are already 3". It sounds very good and I get no cabin drone or resonation at any speed.

How much was it for the drop-in Magnaflow muffler and tip?

Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, i started this thread trying to get a handle on what to buy. after reading all the comments here and on other threads, i can tell you there is not one system that anyone either loves or completely hates. if one five guys like magnaflow another five didnt.

on my 04 i had a borla single in dual out. i liked it but since i bought it a year and a half ago either prices went up or i just couldnt find any one discounting them for what i paid back then. since the quality and results were good i decided to go with borla and give the single in single out a try. just took it for a ride it sounds good and also seems to have more power. kinda hard to tell since the roads are real wet.

however so far so good.

Quick Reply: Who hates their after market exhaust????