2004 - 2008 F-150

Got my '06...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my '06...

And right away I had 2nd thoughts about losing my '97. I was amazed how much Ford has "decontented" this truck. Little things, like the 2nd sun visor on the drivers side, the straps on the top of the visors to hold things, the fact that the carpeting is so short it doesn't have a pile, the cheap feeling in all the switches. I've been driving Fords for 34 years, and have enough faith in them that I didn't even test drive one before I ordered... perhaps a mistake? I'm kinda amazed I have to buy new shocks and tires for a new truck.
This is my 4th day driving it, and I'm starting to warm up to it a bit, which is good, since this is the only truck I have now.
I love the satellite radio, but am rather bummed that its on the auxilliary circuit, so I don't have the MP3 option. I think they should tell you that the sat radio negates MP3.
I like the fact that you can turn on the fog lights without the headlights. Because the round fogs are inset so far into the bumper, the foglights don't hit the ground immediately in front of the truck...I might try to move them forward a bit. There's an icon for rear foglights on the light switch.
Have no comment on the horsepower vs. my '97, I'm just babying it for the first couple of thousand miles.
Definatly dig the rear windows rolling down. Also appreciate the back up sensor because of the high tailgate.
When I removed the rear seatback to find room for my amps, I was amazed @ how much steel had been added for the child restraints and center shouder belt. Kinda explains why other areas were decontented.
SO don't flame me for not loving my truck yet. Like I said earlier, I'm a dedicated Ford man. If I have half as much fun & good memories as I had in my '97, I'll be fine.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Dexter,
I know exactly what you mean. Every now and then I still miss my 01 Screw. I'll be the first to admit that I bought my 05 impulsively. The 01 did everything I needed it to do. That being said, I do like having the highest safety rating now (I have 2 daughters). My gas mileage is better now as well. You'll warm up to it. You chose the best truck out there. Be thankful you've done well enough in life to be able to afford one.
Griz

Old 10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I think the cheaper feel to switches and things is just a trend in all cars. I sat in my aunt's Titan this weekend, and I was not at all impressed with the fit and finish of that interior. It felt crappy and cheap, like the wife's XTERRA. You will love the truck. I missed some things about my 98 F-150 for a couple of days, but I have forgotten what they were now....

Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
My previous truck was an 01 XLT Scab, I don't recall the interior of the 01 being any different than my current one as far as quality goes.
I do recall the straps on the visors lost there elasticity over time.
I must say im surprised you ordered a vehicle without even test driving it first.
You must have alot of faith in Ford.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I've got to agree with you on the interior.

I miss the door panel grab handle of my '97 and the handle on the front pillar doesn't feel nearly as substantial in my '05. Nice sharp parting line from the mold feels real nice on your hands too. Not a big fan of the material they're putting on the seats now either and I feel as if I'm going to snap the turn signal off every time I use it.

What is the deal with the rubberized tray on the dash? Is it good for anything besides collecting dust? (Which it does quite well and is a PIA to clean out.) I suppose you could throw your cell phone up there if you didn't care about the thing cooking in the sun.

Big thumbs up on the vent styling in these though and I kind of like the shorter carpet.

I also had my '05 delivered without ever test driving one of the new ones. It's not that I had so much faith in Ford (well, maybe a little).. it's just that I had so little faith in Dodge and GM....

Last edited by quackrstackr; 10-04-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Suspended
I bought my 2002 Ranger Edge new without ever seeing or test driving one. did the same with my 2005 Screw Lariat. I know Ford is the best for trucks...and I know there isn't anything else I would drive. Who needs a test drive...

Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
It is a bit disappointing that the interior took a bit of step backwards, but for the most part everything else is much much better. The ride, handling, build quality(except the carpet and seats), and towing are all dramically improved IMO.

I had a 98 & 01 and thought they both great trucks but overall I feel my 05 is the best of the bunch by a long shot, I love to drive it.

I towed a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer today and could not tell it was back there, tows much better than my 01 with the 5.4 although the 01 had a stronger feel to it without the trailer.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys, good to know I'm not totally in left field!
One of the nice things about this truck is having this forum & it's members to glean ideas and input from. Like the LT handles I'm ordering today.
Oh, Quackstackr...thanks for reminding me about the door handle - now I miss that too!

Old 10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Dexter, actually i just thought of something that made me laugh....I DID test drive mine before i bought it, and had to have the following replaced...
Front disc's
rear end
temp controller
rear tail lights
....so much for the test drive huh?...

Old 10-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Dexter,

Where do they put the icon for the rear fog lights? I'm curious if it's a new addition or something I'm over looking on my 04. I've been kicking around the idea of installing a set of rear-facing aux lights.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Suspended
I don't get how some of you are saying the interior is worse than the pre generation F-150s, you guys are crazy. The 04+ interiors are leaps and bounds ahead of any other truck out there on the market and that has ever been produce but what do I know.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
How long you been driving (legally) Thumper?

Old 10-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Suspended
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 10-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I think the interior is better on the new gen. trucks also. I used to own a 98 regualr cab. The only thing I miss about that is my rubber floor. I wish I could have gotten an XLT with that.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I agree with Thumper. New gen interiors are vastly better not only in terms of design but also in the quality of materials and fit/finish.

Quick Reply: Got my '06...