2004 - 2008 F-150

Update Your Truck's Pcm!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update Your Truck's Pcm!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is WOW! Just got back from picking the truck up from the new dealer I'm going to. They did an awesome job, its more of an old guy place (a bunch of retired old men run it) and they are all about customer serivce...it's the perfect fit for me.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand. I did the two TSBs that Quintin filled me in on. The one for the PCM update and the one for the horrible rattle in the headliner (which you hear going over hard bumps; ie railroad tracks or speed bumps).

In regards to the headliner, jury is still out, it didn't rattle on the way home, but we'll see how long that lasts. They also left a few dirt marks, but I can clean those out. The fix for the headliner causes the headliner to stick down a little more, but it defintely doesn't bounce around over bumps or when you shut the door...it just looks solid now.

In regards to the computer update, "It just wakes the beast up", a quote from a previous thread, is putting it lightly. I used to have to give it pretty good gas to get up to 3 thousand RPMs. That same pedal pressure throws the RPMs up to 4 1/2 thousand RPMs now and I know (or rather through but dyno) that it goes faster to 60 and beyond. It is alot easier and faster to accelerate now and the truck is much more inclined to jump into higher RPMs, which is what I think causes a louder exhaust note that I clearly noticed (just not an obnoxious exhaust note). I'm assuming it will get better as it learns my driving habits.

HINT HINT: They were initally very against doing a PCM upgrade or reflash. Upon further pressing and being firm they showed me a letter from Ford why they have to be jerks about it. The letter I read was from Corp. and it says quote "do not offer PCM upgrades or reflashes to customers without significant customer complaint regarding engine performance. Not complying with this new standard will result in a denial of warranty reimbursement work." So here is what you should do. Complain about a bad throttle lag from a stand still and while passing on the high way. State that there is at least a 4 second delay before the engine and the RPMs kick in. Then also say that on cold mornings when you start the truck you often have long starts where the truck has a quote "hard start". I actually had these since I can't park in the garage out at my other house and just thought it was normal for the truck. Well it's not normal and this TSB fixed it. See the other thread with Quintin and I discussing it and you'll have all the info you need. This PCM upgrade is a MUST HAVE if your build date was before April of 2005! Many thanks to Quintin as usual for being a crucial link to helping me and everyone else out.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man i really want to get this done, as my build day is 02/05 so im thinking my truck could really use it.

However my old problem is my truck is lifted with 35" tires so if i complain about the engine performace and stuff they will just tell me its because of my oversized tires.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this done?

Thanks,

Old 07-01-2005, 05:44 PM
maybe try a few dealers. I want to do it but I have a xcal2 on the way and I think it would overwrite the stock one anyway. my date is 1/05 and I really noticed it when I went to pass someone it felt like it paused for a second and actually slowed down, then went. I guess I'm used to it now though.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
A dead hesitation when you try to accelerate should have nothing to do with the lift and tires. tell them it is all about throttle response. Mine is not lifted but my dealer asked no questions. I told him I had a hesitation when trying to pass, a lag, and that I had heard there was a fix and he said sure, not a problem. It made a big difference.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Suspended
If you have your stock wheels and tires, throw them back on there. Im glad I didn't sell mine.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Read the posts on this thread.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=201765

Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 PM
My dealer updated my PCM when I bought the truck a year ago and said he'd update it anythim a new program comes out for free during my warranty (3 years) period. That seems like it should be the way it is for all Ford dealerships. For me it won't matter since I just picked up the Hypertech programmer.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Excellent

Originally Posted by F150 Duke
All I have to say is WOW! Just got back from picking the truck up from the new dealer I'm going to. They did an awesome job, its more of an old guy place (a bunch of retired old men run it) and they are all about customer serivce...it's the perfect fit for me.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand. I did the two TSBs that Quintin filled me in on. The one for the PCM update and the one for the horrible rattle in the headliner (which you hear going over hard bumps; ie railroad tracks or speed bumps).

In regards to the headliner, jury is still out, it didn't rattle on the way home, but we'll see how long that lasts. They also left a few dirt marks, but I can clean those out. The fix for the headliner causes the headliner to stick down a little more, but it defintely doesn't bounce around over bumps or when you shut the door...it just looks solid now.

In regards to the computer update, "It just wakes the beast up", a quote from a previous thread, is putting it lightly. I used to have to give it pretty good gas to get up to 3 thousand RPMs. That same pedal pressure throws the RPMs up to 4 1/2 thousand RPMs now and I know (or rather through but dyno) that it goes faster to 60 and beyond. It is alot easier and faster to accelerate now and the truck is much more inclined to jump into higher RPMs, which is what I think causes a louder exhaust note that I clearly noticed (just not an obnoxious exhaust note). I'm assuming it will get better as it learns my driving habits.

HINT HINT: They were initally very against doing a PCM upgrade or reflash. Upon further pressing and being firm they showed me a letter from Ford why they have to be jerks about it. The letter I read was from Corp. and it says quote "do not offer PCM upgrades or reflashes to customers without significant customer complaint regarding engine performance. Not complying with this new standard will result in a denial of warranty reimbursement work." So here is what you should do. Complain about a bad throttle lag from a stand still and while passing on the high way. State that there is at least a 4 second delay before the engine and the RPMs kick in. Then also say that on cold mornings when you start the truck you often have long starts where the truck has a quote "hard start". I actually had these since I can't park in the garage out at my other house and just thought it was normal for the truck. Well it's not normal and this TSB fixed it. See the other thread with Quintin and I discussing it and you'll have all the info you need. This PCM upgrade is a MUST HAVE if your build date was before April of 2005! Many thanks to Quintin as usual for being a crucial link to helping me and everyone else out.
Glad you took it in and had the same results I did. I figured you would, since our build dates were so close. Don't you just love how it "torques up" so much better when you hit the gas?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by selva1
Glad you took it in and had the same results I did. I figured you would, since our build dates were so close. Don't you just love how it "torques up" so much better when you hit the gas?
Yeah I live how it does a better job of throwing itself into the higher RPM range where the real power is at. Nothing abnoxiously high but just around 4 thousand RPMs when you're really getting on it. I slammed on the gas tonight on the way to dinner at a red light. The pavement was dry, clear of dirt, and not very hot (It was 80 out today with a heavy wind, so probably cooler) and the tires spun for a little bit. Nothing I do often, just fun to know I have the ability to get attention.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Duke which engine does your truck have? Mine is going in for some work on tuesday and has the 4.6. Surprisingly its been very peppy and has had plenty of power with only 2600+ miles on it. My AC just isn't keeping up and it has a few times failed to start when the temp pushes 100 or today when it hit 105.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by 2005F150SC
Duke which engine does your truck have? Mine is going in for some work on tuesday and has the 4.6. Surprisingly its been very peppy and has had plenty of power with only 2600+ miles on it. My AC just isn't keeping up and it has a few times failed to start when the temp pushes 100 or today when it hit 105.
I have the new 5.4 which is what the TSB is for. Looks like we just had some crappy programming. Actually another new tune is supposed to come out in six months to help gas mileage. I think I'll be on the look out for that TSB and see what it says it will address then take it to the dealer and say I have that as a problem. Kinda like Seinfeld in the episode when Kramer kept acting in different commericals for diseases. Oh yeah whats that....oh I think I have that!

Old 07-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Account Deactivated at User's Request
Keep in mind the pep may level out after your PCM adjusts to your driving habits.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to see it worked out well for you, Duke. PCM updates are kinda funny though, either they make a big night and day improvement, or they don't really change anything. I reprogrammed mine (4U7A-GPA) and I didn't notice any big changes, the transmission shifted a little firmer, but as far as throttle response, nada.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm not feeling the warm fuzzy feeling I got the right meds for my truck.

I went to motorsport.com and got info.

The 4U7A is an F-150 04 flash #.

My F-150 05 with not be an 4U7A... #.

My F-150 05 will be a number starting with 5C3A, 6C3A or 5L3A...

I just have to verify which # shop flashed vs. motorcraft chart to see if they flashed the new one.

Best,

Last edited by FX4Dad_X3; 07-03-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Calibrations can vary depending on what the WDS or PFM release the dealer in question is using...as far as I know, 4U7A-GPA is the latest available for my truck. And that TSB needs to go, edit it, because...

Originally Posted by FX4Dad_X3
Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company

:
Sharing copyrighted material electronically from Uncle Henry is a no-no...if you print it to paper, they don't care, but you need to edit that post...

Quick Reply: Update Your Truck's Pcm!!!!!!!!!