2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 Owners!!! Your engine holds 7 quarts of oil not 6!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Owners!!! Your engine holds 7 quarts of oil not 6!!

Friday aftenoon took my '05 F150 over to the dealer for my complimentary free first oil change and maintenance check. Drove it home. Three of the four tires are at 36lbs and one at 33lbs. Not to happy about that.

Get up this saturday morning getting ready for a long day trip with the truck and I figure I better check the oil. I take out the dip stick and nearly have a heart attack. Nothing. Put it back in and I realize it does have oil but it's a quart short. Call the dealer, drive over and find out from the garage manager one of his guys apparently wasn't doing his job. The 2005 F150 5.4L engines now take 7 quarts of oil instead of 6 quarts like they did in 2004 model. Or so he says.

Last time I take my truck into a dealer unless I have no choice.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:09 AM
mines an 04 and takes 7 as well.... late 03 build, i think he was feeding you some BS

Old 06-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Which dealer, Norman?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Interesting, my '05 5.4 holds 7.5 quarts of oil

Scott

Old 06-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Justis01
Interesting, my '05 5.4 holds 7.5 quarts of oil

Scott
You're all correct. My '04 5.4L holds 7+ quarts, just changed it today and I believe it took a little more than 7. That's a ton of oil for a vehicle to hold. That dealer/garage manager should be fired for that, these trucks have been out nearly 2 years.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by higdogg
You're all correct. My '04 5.4L holds 7+ quarts, just changed it today and I believe it took a little more than 7. That's a ton of oil for a vehicle to hold. That dealer/garage manager should be fired for that, these trucks have been out nearly 2 years.
Fired because someone doesn't know how much oil a vehicle holds?

Take into account that dipsticks can vary. Your glass ain't half empty. Just under 7 quarts will put my '04 in the middle of the crosshatches.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer shorted me a quart on my '02 as well. They did the first 'complimentary' oil change and I haven't been back since. But if you figure how many oil changes they do in a day and if they only fill them up to the bottom of the crosshatches, they can save a ton of oil in a month's time. And their response will likely be "It's in the crosshatches, so it's in the acceptable range. It says right on the dipstick not to add oil if it's within that range".

Dealers suck.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody should be fired but it’s the dealerships sole responsibility to get it right when you entrust them do maintenance work.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=norman311] Call the dealer, drive over and find out from the garage manager one of his guys apparently wasn't doing his job. QUOTE]

Did everyone miss this part? The manager admitted that his tech didn't complete the job. What more can you ask for? Get him to top it up and be done with it. As long as they put it in the safe range, no harm was done.

Some of you guys need to chill out, these petty things raise your blood pressure too easily.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Some V-6 owners posting here have complained of too much oil being replaced during changes...it seems that on some occasions the techs aren't aware of the engine size.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by DAThomas9
Which dealer, Norman?
The dealer was the one in San Gabriel.

Originally Posted by ak_1fitty
mines an 04 and takes 7 as well.... late 03 build, i think he was feeding you some BS
The garage manager must of been talking about the older body style. Hopefully, his service tech hasn't been doing this for 2 years. It even says right on the receipt 6 quarts.

Originally Posted by higdogg
I have to disagree also that the tech should be fired. The tech that messed up was off on Saturday. The garage manager stop what he was doing and immediately took care of me and topped off the oil. He said he would see that the tech was reprimanded.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Some of you guys need to chill out, these petty things raise your blood pressure too easily.
As much as I paid for my truck & as hard as I work for my money, I don't think it's too much to ask that these supposedly "highly trained" Ford Techs put the proper amount of oil in my truck when I take it in for service. There is almost no pride in one's work or good craftsmanship left out there. Society keeps dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. What's wrong with demanding the service your're promised or what you paid for? Some of you guys paid over $40000 for your truck, right? Would you be pissed if there was a greasy hand print on your driver's door along with grease all over the door handles inside & out when you went to pick up your truck from service? That happened to me when I took mine in for the 10K service. When I showed the manager, he copped an attitude & basically refused to have anyone clean it. I spoke with the OWNER of the dealer and I got my truck detailed for free just because one of his ignorant cretins doesn't know how to do his job. I also discovered when I got home that the oil was in fact underserviced by a full quart. Luckily I had a case of the Ford 5W-20 so I didn't need to drive back to get some. I called back to the dealer, spoke to the owner AGAIN, & now I have a coupon for a free oil change. Don't think I'll be using it, but I have one.

I've owned many cars from many makes & I can say with out hesitation that Ford dealers are the biggest as$holes I've ever dealt with. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy a Ford again just because of the treatment I've received at the 4 dealers around my house. Much like I'll never buy ANY Dodge again. Their dealers were more helpful than Ford's but the vehicle was a POS & they didn't do anything to fix it. They were still very friendly and courteous which is more than I can say for ANY Ford dealer around my house.

No, I don't think this is petty at all & neither should you.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 06-19-2005, 11:34 AM
I dont think that the tech should have any problems over this, unless its a patern, people make mistakes o well your truck got the extra quart and no harm no foul. Mine holds 7 lol.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by KC-10 FE
As much as I paid for my truck & as hard as I work for my money, I don't think it's too much to ask that these supposedly "highly trained" Ford Techs put the proper amount of oil in my truck when I take it in for service. There is almost no pride in one's work or good craftsmanship left out there. Society keeps dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. What's wrong with demanding the service your're promised or what you paid for? Some of you guys paid over $40000 for your truck, right? Would you be pissed if there was a greasy hand print on your driver's door along with grease all over the door handles inside & out when you went to pick up your truck from service? That happened to me when I took mine in for the 10K service. When I showed the manager, he copped an attitude & basically refused to have anyone clean it. I spoke with the OWNER of the dealer and I got my truck detailed for free just because one of his ignorant cretins doesn't know how to do his job. I also discovered when I got home that the oil was in fact underserviced by a full quart. Luckily I had a case of the Ford 5W-20 so I didn't need to drive back to get some. I called back to the dealer, spoke to the owner AGAIN, & now I have a coupon for a free oil change. Don't think I'll be using it, but I have one.

I've owned many cars from many makes & I can say with out hesitation that Ford dealers are the biggest as$holes I've ever dealt with. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy a Ford again just because of the treatment I've received at the 4 dealers around my house. Much like I'll never buy ANY Dodge again. Their dealers were more helpful than Ford's but the vehicle was a POS & they didn't do anything to fix it. They were still very friendly and courteous which is more than I can say for ANY Ford dealer around my house.

No, I don't think this is petty at all & neither should you.

KC-10 FE out...
All I can say after reading this is... Wow... I agree 100% with Tbird69.

You guys deffinately need to chill out. Getting worked up like this over a simple mistake that a tech made is juvenile. Have you never made a mistake? I worked retail for several years when I was younger, it gave me a whole new outlook on what people expect. I don't care how much you paid for your vehicle, the expectation that everyone at that dealership should kiss your *** and never make any mistakes is an unrealistic dream.

They made a mistake, you pointed it out, they fixed it and promised to do better in the future. Did you really need to run to the internet and tattle on them?

Old 06-19-2005, 02:37 PM
After changing the oil on any vehicle, a good serviceman will check the dipstick regardless of how many litres of oil it holds.

At the dealers up here they do not use mechanics for oil changes.

Quick Reply: 2005 Owners!!! Your engine holds 7 quarts of oil not 6!!