2004 - 2008 F-150

Taking care of some warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking care of some warranty issues

I am taking my truck in to get some warranty issues taken care of:

1) Just found out I have the infamous leaking rear window or third tail light. I have noticed water sitting under the third tail light before when I washed the truck and I have heard water that has been sitting on top of the truck trickle down the back window (louder than expected), but this time it actually came in the truck and dripped on the rear seat back. I have read previous posts and have determined it has got to be the taillight because the water is running out the edge of the headliner .

Is there a TSB for this? or is this a simple warranty issue?

2)The stitching on my leather driver seat has pulled away a little.

3)This is odd but minor. Didn't notice this until one of my friends pointed it out. Now it bugs me. One of the plastic plugs on the pillar handles has a mismatched color. Should all be black, but one is gray. Once again no biggy.

I have the 1714 tuner. Should I set the computer back to stock?

Thanks guys

Old 09-27-2004, 02:35 PM
I have the 1714 tuner. Should I set the computer back to stock?
Yes, Good luck hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The seal around my third brake light was distorted to where water would get in underneath it. I replaced the light assembly and haven't had a drop in the cab yet.

With your concerns, I wouldn't worry too much about the tuner, they don't have any real reasons to check for it.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:45 AM
But for the ten minutes it takes to uninstall the tuner why take the chance? You have no idea what they (the service dept) will do to your truck when its in there. They may run a check on the truck to make sure everything is ok while its there. I found this out when my truck was in for a free rotation of the tires that they hooked it up to the diagnostics and ran a check on it.

Better safe than sorry

Old 09-28-2004, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't bother with un-tuning it. The truck is going in for cosmetic work. The lazy bums in the service department are not going to re-flash for cosmetic stuff.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:29 AM
I posted about this problem about a week ago. the light assembly had to be replaced. had some problems with another dealer. according to the dealer, the part was on national backorder until sometime in October. Took it to my dealer out of town and they pulled one out of another 04 F150 to replace in mine. no more leak....but the break light doesnt work now. Tried to replace bulb, but i guess they sealed around the assembly because I couldn't budge the thing after taking out the screws. will just have to take it back. good luck

Old 09-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jbembry79
I the light assembly had to be replaced. but the break light doesnt work now.
something similar happened to my '01 (which, btw, had a poorly fitted rear window...) if i remember right, after their work the brake light and/or dome light did not work because when they reinstalled the light, they put it back in reversed?

Old 09-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Took the truck in yesterday, and as suspected it was the third tail light. They have to order a new one. Same with the seat. Looks like they are going to replace the whole seat cushion cover rather than try repairing it. That surprised the hell out of me. I did get one thing accomplished though, I got the plug on the pillar handle replaced

I plan on installing a XM antenna through the third tail light. So I hope they don't super glue the thing down when they replace the taillight.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Might I suggest a through-the-glass antenna? That way you will have no leaking issues through the brake light assembly. I put one on my 2000 f150, went on slick, took about 20 mins, a never a worry about leaks!

Whytknyt

Old 09-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Whytknyt
Might I suggest a through-the-glass antenna? That way you will have no leaking issues through the brake light assembly. I put one on my 2000 f150, went on slick, took about 20 mins, a never a worry about leaks!

Whytknyt
That's a thought but, how is the reception?

Old 09-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Never had a problem, I had one with the 12" mast that extended just above the top of the cab of the truck. Worked great. I just checked on crutchfield, where I bought mine, and didn't fine any like I was thinking about, but I know they are out there.

Whytknyt

Old 09-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Are you leather seats in a Lariat or FX4?

Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullitt4711
Are you leather seats in a Lariat or FX4?
FX4, why?

Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Question

I had to take my 04 back to get the passenger seat repaired after the seam came apart about two weeks after buying it. I also now have the "Vibe" with 1,900 miles on it. Unfortunatly whoever did the work for the dealership did not tuck the skirt back under the seat and scatched the seat trim to hell. So back I go for another visit.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by mazer
I had to take my 04 back to get the passenger seat repaired after the seam came apart about two weeks after buying it. I also now have the "Vibe" with 1,900 miles on it. Unfortunatly whoever did the work for the dealership did not tuck the skirt back under the seat and scatched the seat trim to hell. So back I go for another visit.
Oh no. Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the heads up. I will watch them like a hawk.

Quick Reply: Taking care of some warranty issues