2004 - 2008 F-150

Please define " Hood Shake"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I check this forum regularly I must have missed previous posts about "Hood Shake"

I have had 2 2004 F 150's and neither of them had any problems....except, when running at freeway speeds I notice that the edge of the hood nearest the windshield is vibrating.
When I first saw it for a moment I was thinking the hood hadn't been latched down properly...then I thought...."You eejit !...
It's a front opening hood !"
For a moment I had thought perhaps the rear end hadn't latched down correctly.
I do have a bug shield (Non Ford) but have not noticed vibration at the front.
Is this what you have been talking about or is this something else !?

Old 07-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it hood shake or shaker hood?

Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 PM
I had an aftermarket bug shield for awhile, which caused the hood closest to the windshield to vibrate up and down like there was no tomorrow. It was a pretty high profile shield, and once I removed it the problem went away. I returned it for a refund, and was told that the manufacturer was aware of the problem. The low profile shields apparently don't cause the problem. I have yet to get a new one, but may in the near future. I figure I've waited long enough now that the bugs may be worked out...

Old 07-19-2004, 09:43 PM
In 12,000 miles, I have only seen it once. We had some snow in early spring, and about 4 or 5 inches stuck. I was driving down the road with 3 or 4 inches of snow on the hood, it was 'lifting' at the lower left of the windshield.

I installed the Ford OEM bugshield and still have no problems.

I have said it before and will say it again, I think the snow messed with the aerodynamics of the hood and caused it to react that way. I still think that some of these bugshields are not being installed properly. When I put mine in, there was some give in it before I tightened it. The gap between the hood and the bugshield can be increased or decreased and still be tightened down to the truck. I feel that if the gap is too big, it has the same result as it screws with the aerodynamics. Just a theory. Maybe someone with the hood lift and a bugshield would be willing to loosen the bolts, make sure the shield is slid all the way towards the truck and retighten. I think it'll fix it. Someone let us know.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:53 PM

Never noticed it on my truck nor have I seen any threads about it. What are you considering freeway speeds, 70 mph+? I’d try taking off the bug deflector and see if that stops it.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:33 AM
My driver's side wiper arm asmb. seems to bounce up and down off the windshield at times at highway speeds as well?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I had a horribe hood shake on my FX4 and after reading the previous posts i took off my bug shield (a painted one ford put on as a option at ford of ocala) The hood shake all went away and i like the look without the bug shield, but i think the bug shields are a bad design not only do to air disturbences, but they get wedged down between the edge of your hood and your grille. On my truck this caused a even gap all the way around about 1/8" where it should be flsuh which i was not happy about. on top of that there was a chip, a large one, right under the bug shield. Looks like from some moron trying to inititally install the thing. O boy i was not happy. Anyways getting true duels tommorrow

Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Lenticular, Bingo, that's exactly what I see, and I don't have a bug shield.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I see it too and I only have 1200 miles on it. I recently put a low profile bug shield on the from (OEM from ford) and noticed a decrease in the "hood shake"

I attribute it to being by design - a hood that floats per say designed to decrease body stiffness since the frame is "stiffest ever"

It can also be attributed to the fact that the hood laches down near the bumper giving it less rigidity?

Who knows - its a Ford thing.. Just like the dreaded "Bed Shake". OooooooooooO

Old 07-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bio_statix, the actual hood latch is in the same place as prior years. Only the release handle is dowm at bumper level. The latch itself is up at the top of the radiator mount cross member.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I noticed that there is a TSB for hood shakes with Lund bugshields...but unfortunately I don't have access to what the TSB states. Probably "remove Lund, then sell on eBay"

Old 07-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey Guys, I have a Lund shield hanging in the garage the last 3 months, made the hood shake and a wind noise on the mirrors. Lund told me I could take it back to the dealer for a refund. Just havent driven that 40 miles back to do so. I also had some off brand "in the tracks" vent shades that caused air noise.. the front two are on the self with the shield .

see my ride at: https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3309

Old 04-23-2005, 05:57 PM
I'll bringit back up. I have about 11,000 miles on my 04 roughly a year. I just noticed the other day my hood shake, I have no bug sheild. Anyone found out the real reason behind this yet, the dealer I bought from sucks and I refuse to go back there unless there is a mandatory recall that says the truck will blow up while someone is in it. Any ideas?

Old 04-23-2005, 06:08 PM
My dad's 04 has a bad hood shake. When you meet a car or hit a bump it seems like its going to lift off. Took it in and the mechanic noticed the latches werent catching very well so he readjusted everything and it still does it.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe Quintin posted a summary of the TSB on hood shake if you wish to search it out. The fix was to test the rear hood weather seal for proper fit by placing a piece of paper in the rear opening, closing the hood on it, and pulling it out to see how tight the seal is. If it did not seal properly, the seal could be reinforced by threading some rubber tubing into the hollow center portion of the weather seal.

Last edited by kd4crs; 04-23-2005 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Please define " Hood Shake"