2004 - 2008 F-150

and now back to the vibration...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give you guys more in depth details as the week progress's. My dealership has some very knowledgable technicians and has always resolved odd issues with my truck. They seem to go the extra mile after most guys would have thrown in the towel. They did add a shim kit to the rear and that really did fix the "howl". I'm no mechanic and I'm only relaying the information I'm getting from the technicians working on my truck.

The dealer thought the vibration was maybe coming from a tire that was out of balance. They have a brand new state of the art tire balancer, so they road balanced the tires and didn't see a problem. Vibration is still present as of Friday.

The next step will be taken via a Ford engineer to add the dampner which obviously doesn't fix the problem, and to replace the rear housing. I believe there will be more conversations between the technicians working on my truck and Ford engineers to determine the best route.

I'm a patient person and this may fix some of the other problems that you guys are having with vibration coming from the rear of your new trucks. Information sharing is a good thing.

Ron

Last edited by PALongbow; 06-27-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:45 PM
common denominator

Last edited by 02RegularCab4x4; 08-15-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
posted by: 02RegularCab4x4
(snip)
We have seen 3 different trucks do the exact same thing. Vibration from the rear end. 2 of the trucks were early build dates, the other was 1/04. The models were XLT 4.6L with 3.73L/S and hankook tires, the second was a Lariat 5.4with 3.73 open diff and BFG's, the 3rd was a FX4 with 3.73L/S BFG's.
One common denominator is the 3.73 gear

Old 06-27-2004, 11:40 PM
i have 3.55's LS and it is a scab does worse with half a tank and when towing

Old 06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
I spoke to my dealer today and they ordered the dampner and a new drive shaft for my truck. They said that this resolved the issue in other trucks that they had in for the same vibration issue..

Ron

Old 06-28-2004, 01:41 PM
My F150 vibrates somtimes and when it does its pretty severe,slowing down and or stopping usually stops it, is this how the others act. When its no vibrating its smooth as silk

Last edited by bob800; 06-28-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM
My steering wheel vibrates from 65-75mph, but not always?? Dealer balanced and rotated tires, but did not do much good... if it is a tire shouldn't it always vibrate at those speeds?? weird stuff.

Anyone?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Mine vibrates mostly on inclines and usually I can hear the change in the ash tray rattle in conjunction with the vibration.

Ron

Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I just got mine back this past Friday (6-25) and they replaced the rear axle assembly to get rid of the whine and then they re-balanced the driveshaft to get rid of the vibration. Now it is back to being smooth and sexy. I crawled under my truck Saturday morning and saw a label on the driveshaft that said "scrap if dropped." I was amazed as I have banged driveshafts and never seen them cause this much vibration problems.

Brian
PS: I have a SCREW with 5.4L and 3.73LS, which looks to be a three piece driveshaft assembly. I wonder if this is part of the problem, too many pieces

Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 AM
I was told that the rear end problem was limited to 3.73 axles in 5.4 liter equipped trucks. Apperntly the pinion nut was not torqued properly. As well I was told that the problem doesn't affect 4.6L trucks as they have a smaller 8.8" differential???

Old 06-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Week two.....Shim kit was intalled in the rear, tires road balanced on state of the art machine, dampner installed, new drive shaft installed...still the vibration is present. The dealer is going to replace the rear in the truck to see if that is the "fix all" solution.

This is getting old now! I'm about ready to tell them to keep the darn truck. Talk about frustration.

Ron

Old 06-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Mine has been at the dealer since Monday. This is what has been done so far. I have a 2" CORNFED spacer up front, they removed it. It still vibrates. They said if an engineer comes to see the truck he is going to want the spacer taken off before they start changing parts. Next they installed the dampner kit. That did not help the vibration. Next, they took a driveshaft off another truck on the lot that does not vibrate and put it on my truck. Mine still vibrated. Today they are taking the rearend off the truck they took the driveshaft off of and putting it on mine. Hopefully this will fix it, but I am not hopefull. The next step after the rearend is going to be an engineer. My vibration goes like this: If I am going about 55 mph and put my foot in it enough to unlock the torque coverter and start picking up speed I get a resonance thumping through the floorboard, steering wheel, console, and pedals until 63 mph. After 63mph it goes away. I can accelerate between 55 and 63mph very slowly in overdrive and it is very hard to detect it, although I can because I know it is there. I can put the truck in neutral and barely feel it. It becomes very noticable when the RPM'S are up in the 55-63 range. It also gets worse after the truck warms up. First thing in the morning it is not as noticable. I will have an update this afternoon.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:54 AM
The ONLY thing I've ever noticed on mine is a slight buzzing sensation in the streering wheel and pedals as I put the truck under a load (going up a steep hill about 30-45 MPH)...and even then it's not too bad. I have 3.73 LS, 5.4L, SuperCab 4x4 Lariat. I've never noticed anything on the highway at any speed or load. Seems like the only time I've felt anything other than a completely smooth ride was on a hill like I described above.

I do have a slight shudder on cool mornings from the LS rear end. It's not bad at all though and I'm not going to worry about it unless it's much much worse this winter.

I haven't seen the dealer for anything at all since I picked it up 8,000 miles ago. Never been back once...and I hope to keep it that way as long as possible I do think I might go in before the warranty runs out even if I have no real problems...so I can whine about the throttle response so as to trick them into updating/flashing my computer to the newest release for free. And maybe that would even help the throttle response...you know, the lag because of the fact there's no throttle cable.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:12 PM
TX66OR
I'm having the same problem with the driveline vibration between 46 & 65 mph. 10.04 XLT 5.4 with 3.55 gears & 265 tires. The vibration peaks at 62mph. Ater adding vibration damper, replacing driveshaft and 3 wheel balances Ford's field engineer said the vibration was normal and would not authorize any more work on my truck. I'm going the DSB in less than 30 days for my hearing.

Old 06-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Labrador,

They put a rear end in my truck from one off of the lot. My vibration was much better, I consider it acceptable. Have them try a rear end. They think it is most likely the pinion gear, but the dealer is going to try to get the whole rear end and axle.

Quick Reply: and now back to the vibration...........