2004 - 2008 F-150

Sylvania is a member of f150online

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sylvania is a member of f150online

I meant to post this as somewhat of a question, rather than a statement. Hopefully webmasterbater or noblebc can help us out here. Webmaster started a post Welcoming Sylvania as an advertiser in the Site Announcements forum. I may have read the post wrong, but I believe noblebc is the Sylvania representative that is our 'foot-in-the-door' with Sylvania. I hope I haven't stirred up something here that I am not supposed to, but from reading some of noblebc's threads, he may be able to help us out.

So, I guess my question is more for noblebc than anyone else: What do you need from us '04 F-150 owners to get Sylvania to produce a replacement headlamp bulb? From what I understand, yall are having a hard time producing one that is street legal. Any R&D in the works?

If I am totally out of line here, someone call me out on it.

Again...thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Good eyes Tuff Ford, if this is true. Yes let us know what we need to do to get these bulbs produced Sylvania

Old 04-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Doesn't Sylvania make the OEM headlight bulbs? I'd love to see the Silverstars for the 9008 spec! I hope it won't be long before they are for sale, but an email directly to Sylvania didn't hold much hope for anything soon.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 PM
We also need an HID kit for the headlights and the fogs on the 2004 F-150

Old 04-07-2004, 06:26 AM
Wiring harness wattage capability

OEM Fog lamps- Model 9145 45 Watts = 3.75 amps
Silverstar 9005ST- Has same base as OEM Fog- 70 Watts = 5.83 amps
OPTX 9005- 100 Watts = 8.3 amps

Anyone know what gauge wire is in the fog lamp harness? I want to be sure the wiring can handle the additional amperage draw of these bulbs.

I know that 12-gauge romex wire can support a 20-amp draw, but that is at 120 volts. Is there a difference at 12 volts? Do you need a fatter wire at a lower voltage to handle the same amperage load, or doesn't it matter?

Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 AM
noblebc

Interesting find Tuff Ford. Just put two & two together from looking at his posts here and the other Ford truck site. His name at the other site is "SylvaniaAuto". He is a very nice person who tried very very hard to get a group buy for the Sylvania HID's over at the other Ford truck site. He was not sucessful however due the "higher ups" not wishing to offer a group buy from what I was told. So, its a dead deal on getting a group buy sponsored by Sylvania.
Does however seems funny that he would be registered here but no mention that he works for Sylvania??? Wouldn't you think he would be listed as a "vendor" or "vendor agent" so that people would know that any comments he makes might be biased towards Sylvania Auto products. He is very knowledgable about their product line and most likely the best informed about the whats going on at Sylvania.
But it does raise a good question that you have to wonder if the moderators here knew that he was even registered here.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Re: noblebc

Originally posted by mark-441
Interesting find Tuff Ford. Just put two & two together from looking at his posts here and the other Ford truck site. His name at the other site is "SylvaniaAuto". He is a very nice person who tried very very hard to get a group buy for the Sylvania HID's over at the other Ford truck site. He was not sucessful however due the "higher ups" not wishing to offer a group buy from what I was told. So, its a dead deal on getting a group buy sponsored by Sylvania.
Does however seems funny that he would be registered here but no mention that he works for Sylvania??? Wouldn't you think he would be listed as a "vendor" or "vendor agent" so that people would know that any comments he makes might be biased towards Sylvania Auto products. He is very knowledgable about their product line and most likely the best informed about the whats going on at Sylvania.
But it does raise a good question that you have to wonder if the moderators here knew that he was even registered here.
There is a difference between a running banner ad and having a presence online as a vendor. Unless he was the actual person that contacted Steve about the banner ads - Steve would have no way of knowing who he was or his connection to the company that happens to be running banner ads.

Doug

Old 04-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Page 194 of the owner's manual shows a 15 amp fog lamp relay (R202) in location 17.

That being said, installing Silverstar 9005's gives you an amperage "cushion" of 3.4 amps, but the 100W OPTX bulbs exceed the fuse rating by 1.6 amps. You'd be asking for trouble using 100 watt fog lamps, IMHO.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Re: Wiring harness wattage capability

Originally posted by Dusty1
OEM Fog lamps- Model 9145 45 Watts = 3.75 amps
Silverstar 9005ST- Has same base as OEM Fog- 70 Watts = 5.83 amps
OPTX 9005- 100 Watts = 8.3 amps

Anyone know what gauge wire is in the fog lamp harness? I want to be sure the wiring can handle the additional amperage draw of these bulbs.

I know that 12-gauge romex wire can support a 20-amp draw, but that is at 120 volts. Is there a difference at 12 volts? Do you need a fatter wire at a lower voltage to handle the same amperage load, or doesn't it matter?
A given wire can handle a fixed number of amps no matter what the voltage is. 20 Amps at 12 volts is the same as 20 Amps at 120 volts. The difference is in the power delivered. For a DC circuit, 20 amps at 12 volts is 240 Watts. 20 amps at 120 volts is 2400 Watts. I (amps) x V (volts) = P (power, Watts).

Grim

Old 04-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks, I just wanted a sanity check.

I posted the amperage draw of the Silverstar 9005 and the OPTX 9005 in the following link:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=152467

Didn't want to get too redundant!