2004 - 2008 F-150

Headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight bulb replacement

For all of you who have changed your headlight bulbs...how the heck did you get to them????

Old 04-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Actually I too was concerned about this one day while admiring under the hood. I went to the book and decided to see what it said, Take it to your authorized Ford service dealer. Just kidding, it looks pretty easy. You have to take out three mounting screws and remove the assembly then you can get to the bulbs easy, then re-install the headlight assembly. Does not look like it is any big deal, but you will need a screwdriver. I used to have a 98 and one side made me mad every time I had to change it. Had no room to work and could not take the light out. And more ?'s check the manual, page 48.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:55 PM
they dont even make a replacement for the 9008's

Old 04-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I was able to change out the front turn signals with Silverstars, but it was incredibly difficult to get my hand in to replace the one on the passenger's side. I'm right-handed, so the driver's side lamp was easier, but it must have taken me 15 minutes to get the passenger side lamp replaced.

I haven't had to replace any headlight lamps yet. The stock lamps are made by Sylvania, so I wonder why they are so slow in making Silverstar replacements???

Old 04-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to the sylvania web site and emailed the comment that I would like to get some of the silverstars for my 150 and they said they would forward my comment. They made no promise that it was being developed. I put the silverstars in my wifes suburban and they made a big difference.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:19 PM
I also email'd Sylvania and got pretty much the same response. Can't wait for the HID systems to start coming out for the '04 F150!

Old 04-04-2004, 10:44 PM
I ordered the ones from import scene...they should be here this week

Old 04-04-2004, 11:12 PM
cdemot02

I ordered the ones from import scene...they should be here this week

__________________________________________________ __

I had ordered the 9008 from Import Scene as well. I got them in a few days ago and they do not fit. It's totally different from what we have in our f-150's...

Old 04-05-2004, 12:14 AM
I, too, have replaced the turn signal lamps, but not the headlamps themselves. I am waiting on Sylvania. I took the entire assembly out just for the turn lamp bulbs. Just seemed easier that way, plus, I banged up my knuckles installing the running boards and was bleeding all over the under side of the hood by this point. No install pix, but I have a pic of the Sylvania turn lamp in my pix.

Check them out...

Old 04-05-2004, 03:50 AM
OMC
hey tuff

I like those lights whats the numbers on them if you don't mind?

and I like your xm cammander. did you do it or did you have it done? if you did it do you mind telling me how?

thank you

jay

Old 04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Gotta wonder why sylvania wouldn't have the silverstars in the stores. There are no other replacement bulbs on the shelf at the auto parts store. Only option I am aware of is to go to the dealer. If they looked at the amount of F150's sold it would justify production. I guess this is pretty typical of a lot of companies, guys standing in line to spend money and they don't have the product.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by OMC
hey tuff

I like those lights whats the numbers on them if you don't mind?

and I like your xm cammander. did you do it or did you have it done? if you did it do you mind telling me how?

thank you

jay

3157A for the turn lamps.

I bought the Commander from Circuit City. They installed it for $45. I figured what the hell...plus, if something goes wrong with it, I can take it back to them vs. trying to figure it out myself. Well worth the $45. The guy only took about 30 minutes to put it in.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Just curious as to why you want to change bulbs? I think the headlights and foglights do an excellent job of lighting up the road.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:30 AM
As far as the turn lamps are concerned, I didn't like the orange look of them when they were off. These bulbs still light up orange, but when they are off, they are not an eyesore.

I agree about the fog lamps...to an extent. I think they do a fine job of lighting up the road, but if I can upgrade them to be brighter and not spend much, I am all over it. I am not sure where you are, but we have deer everywhere down here. I am on the road quite a bit, and anything I can do to see them earlier and take evasive action helps out.

It really comes down to personal preference. The aftermarket bulbs are not for everybody.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:45 AM
I talked to others as well as read posts here as well as a chevy site and din't think there would be that much of a difference but then I was in the parts store saw them hanging on the racka nd curiousity got the better. I put a set in the wifes suburban and it made a big difference. Way more than I would have thought. It is a really cheap upgrade based on the improvement gained.

Quick Reply: Headlight bulb replacement