2004 - 2008 F-150

First Post!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post!!

Hi everyone!!!

I just got my '04 Screw FX4 this past weekend!! I LOVE the truck, but I have a few questions. What gas is everyone running? The owners manual says that the engine is designed to run on 87. What type of break in is required? There isn't anything in the owners manual that I can find. Thanks!!!

Old 11-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Owners manual has some stuff at the beginning about about driving it easy for the first 500 or 1000 miles. With break in periods, you'll get 5 opinions from 4 people. I haven't heard any convincing reasons for one way or another. I just drove it easy for the first 1000 miles which is pretty much the way i drive anyway. no towing with my truck yet. i have no plans to any time soon (no need).

run the 87. anything higher is no good and a waste of money. premium stuff burns hotter and who wants more heat on their engine? the engine is tuned for 87.

there has been a lot of discussion on both break in periods and gas on this forum. feel free to search if you need more opinions. congrats on the truck!

Old 11-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Re: First Post!!

Eagle Keeper

Congrats! If you get a chance post some Pics. I picked up my FX4 SCrew 11/14. Good Luck and Enjoy your new Truck

Old 11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Forgot to post the details of my truck!!

Dark Shadow Gray
Black Leather Captain's Chairs
3.73 LS Diff.
18" Wheels
Power Driver Seat
6 Disc In Dash Cd Player
Black Tubular Running Boards
Bead Extender

Old 11-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Run the 87 from a reputable gas station that doesn't buy crap gas. Most of us know what gas stations sell the good 87 around our own areas so stick with those. No need to do anything special with fluids unless you mod your truck out. Warranty stipulates that you follow the service and owners manual so that's what I do. No problems through a long line of Ford trucks, hell only problem I ever had was with the wife's damn Windstar and it was some electrical problem. Needless to say she was happy as crap to get the 02 Escape that replaced it and then an 03 Explorer last summer. I tried to get her to order a Screw too so we could have a Red and a Black sitting in the drive but she bawked and went Silver Explorer. Jeez .. Woman, go figure.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:04 PM
eagle keeper,

Have dark gray on order just like yours, post some pics if you would of yours, and welcome to the board

Old 11-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by BrewMaster
run the 87. anything higher is no good and a waste of money. premium stuff burns hotter and who wants more heat on their engine? the engine is tuned for 87.
Actually, premium fuel burns cooler. The reason you don't need to run premium is because the engine is designed for 87. If you had a high compression head or a Superchip, for instance, then premium fuel would help. In most cases, running premium in an engine designed for 87 will actually lose hp. At least this is the case in the ATV industry. If your engine "pings" w/ 87 octane, then you might buy a higher grade or try a different gas station.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Here is a few pictures, I'll take some more tomorrow! Sorry for the poor quality!

My gallery!

Old 11-24-2003, 09:21 PM
The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner’s manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

What are octane ratings?
Octane ratings measure a gasoline’s ability to resist engine knock, a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 92 or 93). The ratings must be posted on bright yellow stickers on each gasoline pump.

What’s the right octane level for your car?
Check your owner’s manual to determine the right octane level for your car. Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock.

How can you tell if you’re using the right octane level?
Listen to your car’s engine. If it doesn’t knock when you use the recommended octane, you’re using the right grade of gasoline.

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?
As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car’s engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.

Should you ever switch to a higher octane gasoline?
A few car engines may knock or ping — even if you use the recommended octane. If this happens, try switching to the next highest octane grade. In many cases, switching to the mid-grade or premium-grade gasoline will eliminate the knock. If the knocking or pinging continues after one or two fill-ups, you may need a tune-up or some other repair. After that work is done, go back to the lowest octane grade at which your engine runs without knocking.

Is knocking harmful?
Occasional light knocking or pinging won’t harm your engine, and doesn’t indicate a need for higher octane. But don’t ignore severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage.

Is all "premium" or "regular" gasoline the same?
The octane rating of gasoline marked "premium" or "regular" is not consistent across the country. One state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for all premium gasoline, while another may allow 90 octane to be called premium. To make sure you know what you’re buying, check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump instead of relying on the name "premium" or "regular."

Quick Reply: First Post!!