2004 - 2008 F-150

Why no S/Crew with 6.5 bed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why no S/Crew with 6.5 bed?

Reading the order forms the 04 F150, I'm a bit perplexed. They offer the Super Cab with the 8 foot box, and the Regular cab with the 5.5 foot box, but they don't offer the SCrew with 6.5 box? Who's idea was that? Couldn't the Screw cab be put on the Super Cab/8 foot box chassis and allow for the Screw cab and 6.5 foot box? I would think a bunch more people would want the full 4 doors and a 6.5 foot bed? Many more than would be ordering the 8 foot bed and Super Crew...and WAY more than a regular cab with 5.5 box. Talk about no room.

Not complaining, but I have a 98 Supercab with the 6.5 box. The box is the perfect size. But I would really like to have a full regular opening four doors AND the 6.5 box. I'm tellling you, it would be the best of all worlds, cargo room and capacity and a usable size box. Ford, are you listening....

And if not that, are they making the 04 with the 7700 lb payload option (or greater)?

Sigh....

Old 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM
I believe I read that the 6.5' bed was to be available later on in the first production run. What that specifically means I don't know. Hopefully someone else will post in with more info.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Origianlly they were going to offer it right away. I was told by the Ford rep at the intro in Detroit that the marketing wanted it, but the engineers were fighting it. The only reason I can think of, is that if a 6.5ft SCrew was available, it would be used for 5th wheel towing much more and currentlly most folks wanting the 5th wheel/4 dr combo are almost forced to go to a Superduty. I can see the engineers prefering most towing to be done by a Superduty. They are built for that moreso than the F-150... But I also think marketing dept may have someehting to do with this. What is the one advantage (ridiculous cost ignored) that GM will have over this new F-150? Turning/quadrasteer. A Screw with a 1ft longer box will only increase that advantage. I bet when all the magazines get new F-150's to drive, most supercabs will have the 5.5ft box to...
Iteresting to note that the new 04 Toyota Tundra crew cab will have a 6 or 6.5ft box. But with their current engine option I doubt they're too worried about everyone towing with it. I think they just want one dimension (box volume) to be competitive!

Old 05-03-2003, 09:27 PM
misteramx,

You are not alone with your concerns over Fords lack of Bed size options on the 04 F150. Someone needs to remind the city suits at headquarters that the F150 is a pickup truck. Pickup trucks have usable truck beds. All the bells and whistles in the world cannot make up for the lack of a useable truck bed.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:45 PM
I meant to add that you can get the heavy payload option, but only if you do not want leather, or consol with shifter, or 6 CD player.

Oh yeah if you want the heavy payload package from Ford, forget about climate control or steering wheel controls for your stereo and AC.

Also, to Power Kid, I would love a Supercrew or Supercab Lariat or KR with an 8 foot bed. To me it would be the perfect truck. That little toy box that they currently put on the Super Crew is useless to me.

Old 05-03-2003, 10:07 PM
- As previously discussed on this forum, the dealers have been told the heavy pyld pkg will not be available until the '05 model. Dealers are loanding up on '03 7700's.
- Does that pkg really get you far? I read it adds towing capabillity of 200lb. Whats 200 lb? Perhaps the real diff is in payload vs. towing?
- I am suprised the Lariat if not the KR is not available in a Supercab w/8 ft box. I wonder if there is enough interest in these models to warrant production? Let's face facts, 90%+ of people buying Scews don't need a 5.5 ft box never mind a 8 ft box. Yes some others doneed more. Many people would be happy with the 6.5 ft box (5th wheel).

Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 AM
The heavy duty payload package IS available for the 04. But only on the XL and XLT models. The package can only be had with an 8 foot bed and those are the only two models that Ford allows this option on. Also the GVWR has been increased to 8200 lbs and comes with a 35 gal fuel tank.

If the morons in Detroit would let me upgrade the XLT interior with leather and the floor consol with shifter and audiophile stereo system it would be no big deal. But as we get closer to production it is becoming obvious that the people who build and sell Ford trucks could care less about the people who actually NEED a truck and will cater only to those who WANT a truck.

If a man needs to use his truck as a real truck he should not have to sacrifice the style and comfort that is offered on the higher end models. It is an insult to suggest that a working man does not deserve leather and other things if he can afford them. The other brands offer these things (except for the floor shifter) so perhaps Ford is telling the working man to take a hike.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey I agree. I also wonder why you can get the Audipphile system in the STX but not in the XLT? As far as leather goes, mnay people prefer leather in their work truck as it's so much easier to keep clean.

At the end of the day what I think Ford is saying is if you NEED a work truck, get a superduty. There you can have all the options you want...

Old 05-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Power Kid
At the end of the day what I think Ford is saying is if you NEED a work truck, get a superduty. There you can have all the options you want...
True dat.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:25 PM
In other words, "screw the working guy, buy something other than what you want." The Super Duty 4x4 rides to high to fit in my garage. Its mileage is less than the 150 and with the heavy GVWR, a half ton is all I need if I can have a real bed. And I would like and can afford to have a nicer truck if Ford will let me.

Ford does not even offer the bed extender unless you have the toy bed of the supercrew. Not that it would help much because you cannot secure your bed contents if you need to leave it loaded overnight and out of your garage.

Ford brags about everything being modular on its new trucks so there is no reason for their obstinence regarding options.

I prefer Ford products but come on, the f150 is a truck and Ford executives need to remember that. Eventually many people who buy trucks now because it's "cool" will migrate to something else a few years down the road. If Ford alienates its long term customers who must have a truck they are making a long term mistake for short term profits.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:14 AM
When you have the financial status of Ford you have to worry about the short term or there will not be a long term! There are only so many configurations you can produce on the line. Eventually they stop producing the choices that are not as popular. BTW can't you get the superduuty lowered at purchase. I hear thats what people who tow 5th wheel campers do. There are a coupe different heights available on the Superduty. I really doubt a "lowered" F-250 is any heigher than a F-150... I know too many people with regular garages and Superdutys...

Old 05-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Power Kid,

So I have to spend 45 to 50 thousand dollars for a nice Super Duty then toss the warranty. Then spend another 4 or 5 thousand dollars to have it "dropped", just to have a nice truck that I can use.

No offense to anyone here but dropped trucks, especially 4x4 models, are not to my personal tastes. I appreciate what you say about short term profits being needed, but if their dashes, seats and consols are all modular as Ford claims, the cost of installing those items in any truck ordered would be small and could be added to the package cost for the consumer to pay should he so desire.

Refusing to even offer the options to me is an insult. Ford must do better to keep me.

By the way, the Super Duty does not offer the new 24v v8, full consol w/shifter and the outstanding design of the new 04 150.

And it's not just the 8 foot bed. mister mx would like a 6.5 foot bed on a super crew which is not too much to ask. Other brands can competently put that design on full four door 1/2 tons so there is no reason why Ford cannot, especially if their frames are 9 times stronger as they claim.

Last edited by Nick D.; 05-05-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Longer bed on the Crew

Got it from a real good source that there will be a longer bed on the screw. No word if it will be in time for the 2004, but it will be out. Maybe as part of the 7700 lb packaged Crew ? Dunno, but they are working on it.

I swore I'd never own a Screw with the little bed. I said it was too small. Everyone said you won't miss it vs the 6.5 foot bed. Everyone on here overwhelmingly said that the 5.5 ft was fine. I bought one in Dec. I can tell you right now the *only* thing I don't care for on my Screw is the small bed. I sure wish I had the extra foot.......it *does* make a difference.

-jeff b.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I agree on the concern for the 5.5 box. If you do the math on overall lengths of the supercab 8' box it would still be longer than the screw with the 6.5' box. 03 specs on the screw 4x4 are 226.2 inches, 03 supercab with lwb is 244.4, there is 18 inches difference. My guess is that it is the turning radius and stuff like that and also being able to fit into the average length garage. I like the screw, it would be nice to have the larger box, but won't be the make or break decision for me personally.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:13 PM
After having read a number of these posts, I've gotta ask. What is it that you guys are trying to haul that doesn't fit in the SCrew bed? I moved from a '97 Supercab (6.5' bed) to my '01 SCrew (5.5' bed) and have yet to have any real issues with the smaller bed size. I haul everything from 4'x8' plywood sheets, to concrete mix (way too many bags!), to many other building related supplies, (oh, and my Polaris Quad too) and have yet to find the length of the bed to be a real problem. Fill me in on what I'm missing here.
-Mike-

Quick Reply: Why no S/Crew with 6.5 bed?