2004 - 2008 F-150

Why no S/Crew with 6.5 bed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BigDeal
I've personally driven what the competition (Chevy, Dodge, Toyota) has to offer, and will tell you that IMHO the SuperCrew has no real competition..
Yeah I agree. Just try the Toyota Tundra and you will appreciate the Ford that much more. What is the Tundra box, 12" deep? It's a joke. And the Dodge quad cab comes with a wimpy 6.25' bed, not even a regular shortbox. And even though it has 4 door handles on the outside it's harder to get stuff into cause of the B-pillar. The back seat is so small in the Dodge it's more a comparison to the supercab than the supercrew

Yet the sheep people will go buy a Tundra cause some magazine says Toyota minivans are more reliable than Ford minivans.

To each his own I guess , but gimme a Ford.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:13 AM
MadRabbit,

What kind of offer did they make you for your new truck? Was your dealer amiable or did they act like they were doing you a favor by taking your money? One other question, If you are trading did they seem to want to offer a fair amount for what is soon to be an older style?

Just curious, I want to know what kind of game face to wear when I bargain for mine.

Last edited by Nick D.; 05-17-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Actually there is no money involved yet since they didn't have any pricing available. The guy said based on past product launch experiences, he won't know the pricing until almost the day the trucks show up at the dealership. So he said if the truck comes in and the price is crazy I'm under no obligation to take it since there was no price to agree to beforehand.

As for my old truck they were very helpful too. My 2000 is a lease, and the lease ran out in March this year. But they are extending the lease for me, with the same payment, until my 2004 shows up.

They are getting 9 trucks at the product launch, so many XLT's, so many Lariat's, etc. They get to pick the colours and options on those 9, and they configured one up to macth my order.

Best guess is September for the delivery date. So to answer your question they were very amicable and the deal is very fair.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks, maybe its time I try to talk to my dealer again.

Old 05-19-2003, 11:17 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lance119
I have driven F150's for 15 years, but they may force me to go elsewhere.
Here is what I don't get. 15 years ago you could get a small supercab with no rear doors. I don't see how today's (or tomorrow's 2004 model) options are any worse that would cause people to not be pleased. Heck, 4 years ago ther ewas no Supercrew, and that is now 30% of the product mix. Basically, people's needs have changed and Ford hasn't reacted quickly enough. Ford has changed some things, but maybe not enough? Only sales will tell.

Old 05-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Went to a different dealer today. They were actually real nice. I test drove a crew cab super duty Lariat with an 8 foot bed and off road package..

It had the 6.0 power stroke diesel engine. I took it out on the interstate and gave it just a little goose (its new so I didn't floor it) and was more than pleasantly surprised at the response. Not as peppy as my 5.4 but very adequate. With all of the capacity of this truck, low rates and a very favorable trade in offer I may not be able to resist this wonderful behemoth. The fellow said that with the diesel I could expect close to 20 mpg.

On another note I test drove a Chvy Avalanch and liked it too. It gave me the ability to carry an eight foot step ladder completely enclosed in the vehicle along with a few other expensive items that I need to haul every day. The stereo was better than the Fords and the leather seats hugged my considerable weight a little better. It will also fit in the garage. The F250 rides too high to get through the door.

With the 250 I still need to buy a shell and liner so I have to figure an extra three grand into the deal. But man what a beautiful behemoth and a 38 gallon fuel tank to boot.

Man, I wish I knew exactly what Fords final packaging was going to be for the 04 f150. I need 8 feet of secure cargo room and I definatly want leather. Both trucks I looked at tonight were very nice and I really liked the Ford but it doesn't fit in the garage. A $4000. rebate from the bow tie made my wallet happy too.

Old 05-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by APT
Here is what I don't get. 15 years ago you could get a small supercab with no rear doors. I don't see how today's (or tomorrow's 2004 model) options are any worse that would cause people to not be pleased. Heck, 4 years ago ther ewas no Supercrew, and that is now 30% of the product mix. Basically, people's needs have changed and Ford hasn't reacted quickly enough. Ford has changed some things, but maybe not enough? Only sales will tell.

APT, The problem is with the bed size options on Fords 1/2 ton. A lot of people especially on this thread cannot get large enough beds on the nicer trims that we want. The way the packaging is set up, at least so far, we cannot upgrade the cheaper packages that have good beds with the amenities we want. If you read my last post I am in love with two very different trucks and may pick one this week. Since the 04 goes into full swing less than a month from now they should be able to let their dealers talk to us openly about what the final package decisions are going to be.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:38 AM
APT
Nick,

It sounds like the Avalanche is perfect for you. Without the body side cladding, it looks pretty good too. A friend of mine has one and loves it. Very versitile, and it fits in a garage. The only downside to that compared to an extended cab or crew cab with 8' bed is trying haul your ladder and other stuff with 4-5 people.

For the PSD, expect 18-22mpg in mixed driving. I know someone who has gotten 26mpg, on the highway, but at 60-65mph. Those things are geared for 70mph towing heavy loads. Cruising at 80mph = 16mpg, and faster is worse. For me who only tows light loads, but at 80-90mph, a diesel is not worth it. My 5.4L gets 15mpg at those speeds and so would a diesel.

Aaron

Old 05-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by APT
Nick,

It sounds like the Avalanche is perfect for you. Without the body side cladding, it looks pretty good too. A friend of mine has one and loves it. Very versitile, and it fits in a garage. The only downside to that compared to an extended cab or crew cab with 8' bed is trying haul your ladder and other stuff with 4-5 people.

For the PSD, expect 18-22mpg in mixed driving. I know someone who has gotten 26mpg, on the highway, but at 60-65mph. Those things are geared for 70mph towing heavy loads. Cruising at 80mph = 16mpg, and faster is worse. For me who only tows light loads, but at 80-90mph, a diesel is not worth it. My 5.4L gets 15mpg at those speeds and so would a diesel.

Aaron

I expected to see Texas or Montana for your addy, but.... You're saying you TOW at 80 - 90 mph? Man, I'm glad I don't live near you....no offense.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:54 PM
APT
Originally posted by scooterjohn
I expected to see Texas or Montana for your addy, but.... You're saying you TOW at 80 - 90 mph? Man, I'm glad I don't live near you....no offense.
Michigan recreation culture = going "Up North" for the weekends. I just go with the flow which is 80-90mph. If I don't do it, I'll be shoved off the road.

Besides, I only tow two quads and some camping gear, 2000 pounds max.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:31 PM
APT,

I have driven around the Lake Michigan area. You are right, obey the posted speed limit and you will be road kill.

There are other draw backs to the Avalanch, one big one is that with the bed being so intimate with the passenger compartment I would be hesitant to want to use it for hauling bulk items like sand or gravel. Even though the the seals around the passenger compartment seemed very stout I think there is a good chance of having residual material getting through if I did not wash the bed perfectly each time. Also there is a huge blind spot for changing lanes due to the angular structure that comes down from the cab to the bed. The mirror is a little small for glueing a concave spot mirror to because the spot mirror would then cover the integrated turn signal. Other than those minor things I really liked it. It drove almost as nice as my 95 Buick Riviera did.

That F 250 behemoth was beautiful, completely loaded and with enough capacity to do what ever I could imagine myself doing(almost). If it would go through my garage door there would be no question even without the $4000. rebate from the Bowtie.

I'm too darn worn out to bargain effectively tonight so I think tomorrow night I may go back to both places and haggle some more. Who knows, maybe during the next 24 hours Ford will surprise me by announcing the availability of an 8 foot bed on the 04 Lariat supercab or let me deck out an XLT S. CAB longbed and it won't matter.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:16 PM
APT
Nick, I don't know if you are interested, but I can get you Friends & Family discount a Dodge. It would be right around dealer invoice price, minus any incentives you choose. I think there is $1500 rebate or low interest rates, 2.9% for 5 years.

You can get the Ram 2500 Quad Cab with 8' bed in the Laramie (leather). My wife brought home an SLT 2wd with the Hemi and I was impressed. Not enough to trade mine in, but the engine/tranny were nice. I don't know if it would have been enough motor for a 4wd, but it was quicker than my truck, which I have never complained about. Anyway, relax, and take your time deciding on your next possible truck. Sure is fun to shop!

-A

Old 05-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Hey Nick D., maybe get the superduty lowered 2" or whatever it would take. Or get an overhead door contractor to give you a quote on sneaking in a 6" taller garage door below your existing ceiling.

(Semi-serious on both)

Old 05-21-2003, 06:49 AM
MadRabbit,

My garage is semi recessed into a hill and has a solid steel reinforced concrete face across the front and sides. It was built to allow a fully functional metal shop to be added overhead. Alterations to the entrance would cost as much as the diesel Superduty.

APT,

Thanks for the offer, I will look at another 4x4 Larimie and think about it.

Old 05-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Post Based on previous orders and sales

The decision to built certain wheelbase vehicles and match it with box lengths is done according to past sales and requests by customers who have already bought. If you want to have a voice in the choice, buy one and fill out the survey the manufacturer sends out after the sale.

Quick Reply: Why no S/Crew with 6.5 bed?