1997 - 2003 F-150

2001 5.4L No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 5.4L No Start

At the risk of being told "read the 500 other threads on this topic" (which I've done), I am looking for some assistance with the troubleshooting I've done so far.

About 2 weeks ago, the wife told me that the truck was not starting on the first try, but when she tried again, would start on the second attempt. Then after a 3 or 4 days, she got stranded but got a ride home. When I got home, we took a can of starter fluid, I shot some in the intake, it hit and we got it home. When I went back the next day, starter fluid or no, it will not hit. The battery is strong and it will crank and crank and crank, but not start.

So I hit the forum, learned a few things and on the way home one day, stopped at O'reilly and picked up a can of MAF cleaner, a fuel pump relay and a loaner fuel pressure test tool set. Today I recharged the battery (due to all of the previous cranking), verified that the inertia switch was closed, hooked up the pressure gauge and had the wife cycle the ignition 3 or 4 times per the pressure test instructions. Gauge never got off of zero. Stopped, changed out the 301 relay with the new part, visually checked the number 10 20 amp fuse (looked good) and tried the same routine with the same result. Fiddled with the connection 2 or 3 times to make certain that it was as finger tight as I could get it. Never got the needle on the pressure tester to move.

I got in and checked the Theft light, it did not blink. The gauges swept but I am thinking this is because I had the battery unhooked and it has not successfully restarted. I have not checked power on the lead to the pump not tried jumping the relay.

At this point I am thinking fuel pump, but wanted to get other inputs from the board for new thoughts and make sure there is not something I have overlooked.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
just a quick check would be to crawl under the truck at the gas tank and have someone turn the key on. You should hear and possibly feel the pump kick on.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by ford_man_22
just a quick check would be to crawl under the truck at the gas tank and have someone turn the key on. You should hear and possibly feel the pump kick on.
I was also thinking that if I keep the under hood fuse box open while someone cycles the key I should be able to hear/feel the fuel pump relay click closed, to verify relay functioning? Any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Yes, you should feel the relay(s) click. A light touch of a fingertip is all it should take.

Just go to the inertia switch and look for the 1-2 second application of power for the pump at initial turn-on. Use a voltmeter or test lamp. This will split the circuit in half so you know which half needs attention.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by mechmountie

At the risk of being told "read the 500 other threads on this topic" (which I've done), I am looking for some assistance with the troubleshooting I've done so far.

About 2 weeks ago, the wife told me that the truck was not starting on the first try, but when she tried again, would start on the second attempt. Then after a 3 or 4 days, she got stranded but got a ride home. When I got home, we took a can of starter fluid, I shot some in the intake, it hit and we got it home. When I went back the next day, starter fluid or no, it will not hit. The battery is strong and it will crank and crank and crank, but not start.

So I hit the forum, learned a few things and on the way home one day, stopped at O'reilly and picked up a can of MAF cleaner, a fuel pump relay and a loaner fuel pressure test tool set. Today I recharged the battery (due to all of the previous cranking), verified that the inertia switch was closed, hooked up the pressure gauge and had the wife cycle the ignition 3 or 4 times per the pressure test instructions. Gauge never got off of zero. Stopped, changed out the 301 relay with the new part, visually checked the number 10 20 amp fuse (looked good) and tried the same routine with the same result. Fiddled with the connection 2 or 3 times to make certain that it was as finger tight as I could get it. Never got the needle on the pressure tester to move.

I got in and checked the Theft light, it did not blink. The gauges swept but I am thinking this is because I had the battery unhooked and it has not successfully restarted. I have not checked power on the lead to the pump not tried jumping the relay.

At this point I am thinking fuel pump, but wanted to get other inputs from the board for new thoughts and make sure there is not something I have overlooked.

I've had issues with the fuel pressure tester indicator not producing a reading before. 1st thing is to depress the schrader valve with a small screwdriver. You should see fuel spewing out of the schrader valve. If you don't, then you have a fuel delivery problem, possibly either a fuse, relay, or fuel pump.

If you do get fuel spewing out of the schrader valve, then you will have to tighten the gauge line to the fuel pressure indicator. I had to use a pair of pliers in order to get it tight enough to depress the needle on the schrader valve.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll put them to use and report back.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmountie
I was also thinking that if I keep the under hood fuse box open while someone cycles the key I should be able to hear/feel the fuel pump relay click closed, to verify relay functioning? Any thoughts?
Yea, turn the key and listen for the pump to charge the lines. If you don't hear anything, crawl under with a mallet and bounce that off the center of the tank.

Did it charge the lines after wrapping on it? Yes? It's the pump.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, turn the key and listen for the pump to charge the lines. If you don't hear anything, crawl under with a mallet and bounce that off the center of the tank.

Did it charge the lines after wrapping on it? Yes? It's the pump.
So, I felt the 301 relay click and depressed the needle in the fuel rail test port (zero spray/pressure). Have not run wire tests yet, probably try banging on the tank with the mallet when I get home this evening and report back.

If the pump itself is bad, anyone know a good shop in Richmond, VA as I don't want to do that job alone.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4L No Start