1997 - 2003 F-150

front differential bearings.......help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front differential bearings.......help

So today i jacked up my truck to check out my front end components, everything was in tip top shap, no play in the hubls or ball joints.......hooray....but heres the deal when i spin my passenger tire forward or revers it will catch and stop after about each full rotation, i inspected everything i narrowed it down to this, at first i thought it was the cv joint binding up but they are almost brand new (2000 miles) but they are covered under warranty so i popped it, replaced it and spun the tire, it was still binding. so upon farther inspection i narrowed the problem down to be internal, im assuming there is a bearing in the diff, on the passenger side right before were the plate that the cv bolts to is? the binding is deff. happening in the diff right at this point. when i held my hand around the diff. right behind the plate that the cv bolts to, i could feel grinding and popping. so my ? is how do i go about replacing that bearing or whatever it is. thank you all for your help. btw the truck drives fine and makes no grinding sounds when driving, only when on the jack. i can not feel any diff., when driving the truck, no lag, binding, or noise when under way or when put in four hi/lo. i mean honestly im not even sure if this is a big deal, or if i should even let it bother me, but better safe then sorry. I can honestly say that this truck is at its prime at this point as far as how it rides and drives, it really feels fine and is driving and handling better then ever, cant wait to get the steering stabilizer i have put in =) sorry about the long post this is kinda like an update thread for my truck because i havent posted in awhile......

2000 4x4 single cab flareside
8.8 front diff (stock)
all new front end components within 2000 miles ( balljoints, idler, tie rod ends, hubs and brakes) the reason i had truck on the jack was to make sure everything was working right after this maintance, and to make sure nothing failed. i had problems before with balljoints failing after being driven on for 2 weeks from new.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its late, but I'm gonna throw something at you to think about

Shift fork, front diff has a vacuum operated shift fork. Could be an internal problem with the shift fork, or it can be the actuator.

Just ideas for you to think about.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
howe would i check those parts? i mean the truck goes in to four wheel with no probs it feels like a bearing right inside the diff. on the passenger side right behind the plate on the front diff that the cv axle bolts to....

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
ive made a drawing to better show were the noise/binding is happening. is there a bearing at this point? and how would i go about replacing it? or could the shift fork or actuator cause a bind at this point in the axle?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM
ttp

Old 02-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unbolt the CV, see if leverage or bare hands can make the drive flange on the housing move. If so, then you're probably right, but theres always possibility for more issues further in.

Theres a lot of possibilities on the passenger side for problems, you may be quickly finding yourself opening it up to investigate.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 AM
thanks for your help klitch but i got it......i had replaced the cv at the begining of the rondavu but< thanks to cheap remanufactured parts from andvanced i ended up with noth of the cv axle being defective. the one originally on the truck failed so i warrantyied it out, and it also failed. i took the truck into my local 4x4 shop and they said it was deff. a cv related issue so i went to ford and got an oem cv anf voila, no noise or binding

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 AM
this thread can be closed

Quick Reply: front differential bearings.......help