1997 - 2003 F-150

Small Glitch that is annoying HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Small Glitch that is annoying HELP!!!!

When i put the truck into gear usually it will lock the doors. Lately sometimes it takes up to 5 or 10 miles for the doors to lock. The thing that sucks is when the doors dont lock the cruise control will not work. Then about 5 miles or so the doors will lock and then the cruise will start working. I have pushed the lock button and locked the doors but the cruise still will not work until the truck locks the doors. Any Ideas

Edit... The truck never did this until i got the pcm reflashed at the ford dealership when i had the problems with the edge.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 08-15-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 PM
glc
Received 764 Likes on 707 Posts
Have you had the cruise control recall done? Not that this would cause it, but you never know.......

Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
The door locks are controlled by the GEM modual with input for speed and possibly a seat sensor that detects weight on the seats.
This function is able to be cancelled with a procedure on page 107 of an owners manuel for deactivation auto lock feature.
As for any association with speed control, I can't find anyhing in my info as of the moment.
I would do the deact first to see if it solves the issue.
If not, then suspect the reflash has something to do with it by possibly being the wrong installed software version.
Another vehichle model may have this function and was made active in your truck since the PCM will accept any of the different programs depending on the original build.
I would have the dealer recheck with the FORD data records system that has all the info for your truck by VIN number and down load another attempt, then load that info into your PCM.
My 02 SCREW does not interact between the locks and speed control.
If no other work has been done, it's the only possibility as of the moment.
Let us know what the fix is.
Good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Have you had the cruise control recall done? Not that this would cause it, but you never know.......
The cruise recall has been done.

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
The door locks are controlled by the GEM modual with input for speed and possibly a seat sensor that detects weight on the seats.
This function is able to be cancelled with a procedure on page 107 of an owners manuel for deactivation auto lock feature.
As for any association with speed control, I can't find anyhing in my info as of the moment.
I would do the deact first to see if it solves the issue.
If not, then suspect the reflash has something to do with it by possibly being the wrong installed software version.
Another vehichle model may have this function and was made active in your truck since the PCM will accept any of the different programs depending on the original build.
I would have the dealer recheck with the FORD data records system that has all the info for your truck by VIN number and down load another attempt, then load that info into your PCM.
My 02 SCREW does not interact between the locks and speed control.
If no other work has been done, it's the only possibility as of the moment.
Let us know what the fix is.
Good luck.
Im taking it back to the dealership hopefully tomorrow and see if they will look into it. If they wont which i have a feeling that will be the case i will deactivate it and go from there. Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck does it also occasionally. I have never tried the cruise control though while this problem occurs. Next time it happens I will try it though and let you know what happens. I don't have an edge, nor have I been reflashed.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by campo141
My truck does it also occasionally. I have never tried the cruise control though while this problem occurs. Next time it happens I will try it though and let you know what happens. I don't have an edge, nor have I been reflashed.
Thanks, the cruise wouldnt be a real big deal but i live out in the country and as soon as i leave the house im up to 70 mph for about 20 or 30 miles, it sucks not having cruise cause i will look down and be doing 85 and not knowing it

Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Well.... Crazy enough, it did it this morning!!!! The cruise control activated on mine coy. It must have something to do with the new flash.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by campo141
Well.... Crazy enough, it did it this morning!!!! The cruise control activated on mine coy. It must have something to do with the new flash.
Thanks for that info, i drove it again today and cruise would not work at all until the door locked and all of a sudden cruise works perfect. I took it to ford and they could care less about it and wanted to charge me diagnostics even though i told em it didnt do it until they reflashed. So i am going to deactivate the locks and see how it does, even though i like the automatic locks.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
mine auto locks as soon as i start moving in D or R

Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
mine auto locks as soon as i start moving in D or R
right thats what mine has always done until recently, they will lock but it just takes a few miles.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Global Moderator &

i know this may sound dumb, but try lubricating all the door latches up, and slam them a couple times to break them loose. Might be that the truck doesnt see that the door is actually closed until you get up to speed and it just assumes you have the door closed

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM
glc
Received 764 Likes on 707 Posts
Coy, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but this might be a good workaround.

If the doors haven't locked yet when you want to use the cruise, reach over and hit the master lock button...........

Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
Coy, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but this might be a good workaround.

If the doors haven't locked yet when you want to use the cruise, reach over and hit the master lock button...........
glc, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but this is from the original post of the thread

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I have pushed the lock button and locked the doors but the cruise still will not work until the truck locks the doors. Any Ideas

Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I just had these symptoms with my truck and it ended up being the brake switch. $50 at the dealer (ridiculous). It was really frustrating since cruise would work sometimes and then it wouldn't. Door locks did the same thing as you describe. Make sure your brake lights are working. I overlooked this and wasted a lot of time, unfortunately.

Hope this helps-

Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by dlindz
I just had these symptoms with my truck and it ended up being the brake switch. $50 at the dealer (ridiculous). It was really frustrating since cruise would work sometimes and then it wouldn't. Door locks did the same thing as you describe. Make sure your brake lights are working. I overlooked this and wasted a lot of time, unfortunately.

Hope this helps-
Hey now this sounds like it could be it. after i thought about it, use to i could tap the brake while barely going in reverse or drive and it would lock the doors ans now it wont I bet you that is it , im going to check it out tomorrow Thanks for the advice guys

Quick Reply: Small Glitch that is annoying HELP!!!!