1997 - 2003 F-150

[In Progress] Steering Wheel LED Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[In Progress] Steering Wheel LED Swap

Note: This is not official yet! I'm having difficulties, and hopefully you guys can help me fix them so I can actually submit a write up!

So, I got tired of having the mix of green lights and red lights, and I wanted to change my steering wheel lights to red as well (I'm still working on other LED swaps). This is what I've done, and with the help of thejake1989 and me messing my truck up, this is what I got so far.

First, disconnect your battery.

Second, find the little circular disc on the side behind your steering wheel, you should have one on each side.

Three, remove the circular disc using a knife or flat head and you'll see a screw, remove that screw

Four, unplug the two wires circled

Five, cut the zip ties, and unplug the black plug on the right side of the steering wheel bolt (in the center), and the arrow is pointing to a clip that is holding the steering wheel controls in place, use a flathead and to help unsnap it out.

Now, this picture is showing the back of the "on/off" switch. The controls use a 3mm LED, and you'll need a resistor for the on/off switch. I used a 680ohm resistor which worked well. The red circle is the negative, and you'll need to connect it to the blue/black stripe wire for ground and the green circle connects to the light blue/red stripe wire.

What it should look like

Since you have the resistor on the bottom, you cannot fully place the chip back inside perfectly. When I press my "On' button, my horn will honk, that is due to the resistor leveling out the chip, so when I press 'On' it also puts force down on the 'Off' button which will make my horn go off. But, if I press 'Off' my lights on the other side of the steering wheel shut off. Also, when my headlights are off, my left steering wheel controls (on/off) lights are off, and when I turn them on they come on. Now, my right steering wheel controls (set/resume/cruise) lights stay on, and cannot be adjusted by illume control (on headlight switch). So, now I'm asking for help from you the members to help me fix my issues and help me contribute a nice write up.

This is what my right side controls look like wired up

I have the negative leg wrapped around in wire, and then I took the second LED negative leg, and wrapped that around the first LED negative leg. I also did the same to the positive leg (wrapped it in wire, and wrapped the second LED positive leg with the first LED positive leg). Now, it works and all, but the first LED is very much brighter than the second LED, and like I said, it stays on when headlights are off, and the illume controls don't affect the dimming. The picture below is what it looks like at night.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this should be a challenge... haha i cant wait... ive dont all my switches and stuff but this is going to be a pain and it will look SO stupid if i leave those and do the others

Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I would suggest taking that resistor off the back of the switch, and add it in wire-to-wire... further downstream. That should fix the contact/horn issue anyways

Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought you had red tint on your cluster?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM
PEICE OF CAKE done... ill post pics if you guys want... you just have to put an in-line resistor and not such a MASSIVE one at that... then just shrink tube over it... simple and mine works perfect!

Quick Reply: [In Progress] Steering Wheel LED Swap