1997 - 2003 F-150

98 Transformation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Transformation Thread

Its been just over 2 1/2 yrs since i got my truck from my dad and alot has happened since. heres the story....

Truck was bought new in october 97(we won an explorer but already had a mountaineer so it was traded for the f-150 and paid off when drove off the lot). Its a basic XL model with 4.2L v6 and manual transmission and no power windows or locks. While my dad drove the truck it didnt get washed too much. The truck became mine in december 2007 after having wrecked my dodge. the only mods my dad had done to the truck were a tonneau cover, toolbox, steps, and bug shield. He also had the motor rebuilt after it had snapped a rod or possibly blown a head gasket.

Started off with a good wash and clay bar and polish and added a dynomax bullet exhaust before the rear tire.

Next i worked on the stereo. I put a pioneer premier head unit in i had in my dodge, as well as the amp from the truck, an audiobahn a8000t. bought two new kicker 10" comp cvt's and built a custom box for them. I also moved the alpine type s speakers from the front to the back and added two type r speakers in the front. Added 12 disc pioneer cd changer under the rear seat, ipod adapter and ran it to the slot under the steering wheel and xm radio to the headunit. Tint went in about the same time as well as cb radio w/ pa and 4ft antenna and hard wired my gps also.

This current summer alot happened. First i swapped my bench seat for a split bench with console from a 97 and swapped the rear seat to match. Had to replaced taillights since someone broke one and also got lightning heads. Then i painted the grille, wiper cowl, door handles, mirrors, and rear window trim black. Then leveled the truck with 1.5" daystar kit and added 285/75R16 BFG all-terrains. Then a chrome n-fab light bar for the 99-03 F150 went on as well as 3 6" black offroad lights. Added some blue ambient lights to under the dash from oznium.com and changed the dash glow to blue. ( thanks raptor for how-to). Also did the Gotts intake mod and K&N air Filter. Finally the i replaced the headliner because the stock one was falling apart.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Washed the truck today and took some new pics.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM

more pics

Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thejake1989
I'm really liking that box idea man! Did you port it or anything? If so, what are the dimensions of it??

BTW, I saved some pics to work on a sig for you later this weekend.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:52 PM
did you put in that lil cubby to the left of the CB mic? or was it already there?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the box design as well!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
did you put in that lil cubby to the left of the CB mic? or was it already there?
That comes from factory on F150's. I went to a junkyard and was lucky enough to find a tan one with the cubby. I love it!

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
any ideas as to what models that came on? I certaninly would love to have a lil cubby to put my ipod...

Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
any ideas as to what models that came on? I certaninly would love to have a lil cubby to put my ipod...
Well I know they rang on year models. You just have to go through and look at every dash to see if it has the cubbyhole. I see that your from Copper Canyon, hoping that is Texas.I go to school in Arlington @ UTA, so I know of a few yards south of Arlington in Kennedale that I can go through with you and we can find you one, depending on your dash color. If your up for it. I mean, DFW has too many yards to look through. =/

Last edited by dirtyd88; 08-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Double post.... =/

Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 PM
and I just PM'd ya

Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I like your box. I just did the measurements on mine today. I am making it tomorrow. I just got done doing the amp wiring kit, and changing out my coil packs a couple hours ago. I ended up going with one 12" cvr and one 10" cvr. There is just not enough room in the back to fit another 12. The 10" lines up just right with the kind of box I am making.

Where/How did you get your box wrapped? I really want mine done in a grey vinyl to match the dash, and I know where to get the stuff. But I have no idea where or how to get it on the box. I have no idea how to make it flush on the corners.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM

01f1502wd the cubby came stock and i have no idea what years. i thought all the 97-03's had them.

the box is sealed for now i may port it later on but for now it sounds great so why mess with a good thing. as far as covering it i did it myself. i got the material from home depot and used 3m super 80 spray adhesive i think it is. it works better than the 90. it took a couple hours to do but i wrapped the center portions in one piece and then the two sides separately and just cut the corners once it was glued to match up.
if you need any help let me know. the box has more than the minimum required airspace for a sealed box with 2 10"s which was one of the reasons i built it myself. i couldnt find a box with enough airspace and i have the 12 disc changer under the driver side rear seat so space was at a minimum.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
01f1502wd the cubby came stock and i have no idea what years. i thought all the 97-03's had them.

the box is sealed for now i may port it later on but for now it sounds great so why mess with a good thing. as far as covering it i did it myself. i got the material from home depot and used 3m super 80 spray adhesive i think it is. it works better than the 90. it took a couple hours to do but i wrapped the center portions in one piece and then the two sides separately and just cut the corners once it was glued to match up.
if you need any help let me know. the box has more than the minimum required airspace for a sealed box with 2 10"s which was one of the reasons i built it myself. i couldnt find a box with enough airspace and i have the 12 disc changer under the driver side rear seat so space was at a minimum.

Oh okay. So you just cut to fit and then glue it really close so you cant see the gap then? I have a box with two 8's that I got for free. The 8s are clarions I think, but it is wrapped perfectly. Not a seam anywhere, and it is a really awkwardly shaped rectangular box. I can not figure out how they wrapped it. I will have some pics of the box tomorrow being put together.

I am dealing with minimum space too. The box for my 12" is 16"x16"x15" and is between the seat belts. I dont remember what the specs are for the 10" but its going from the top of the seat to the floor. Looks good all drawn up so I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 AM

i cut the sides to the general shape, glued them, and then trimmed to fit it. like you said you cant hardly see a seam. the 3m 80 works really well for odd shapes. ill try and look up the minimum airspace requirements and then take some measurements. at first the one sub was hitting the seat so i had to screw some strips on the side rails and bottom to raise it up a bit. also when i made the box the truck had a bench seat and didnt have any clearance issues with the front sub. when i switched to the console it gets kind of tight depending where the passenger seat is and if the console is down or not. just something to think about.

Quick Reply: 98 Transformation Thread