1997 - 2003 F-150

Fog and headlight interlock removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog and headlight interlock removal?

On a 2002 F150 how do you remove the interlock?

I want to keep my fogs on with my high beams on....

I've done this on my 2004 NBS but not on the 2002 F-150.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by ford2004f150
on a 2002 f150 how do you remove the interlock?

I want to keep my fogs on with my high beams on....

I've done this on my 2004 nbs but not on the 2002 f-150.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
not sure how to help ya there bud, but i have a 03 and i want to know how i can keep my parkin lights on with my fog lights, is there a bypass or something?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Green_Machine
how i can keep my parkin lights on with my fog lights, is there a bypass or something?
See this post.... it should be the answer you are looking for.
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63169

I still need help though... anyone?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
What I did to my truck actually fixes both. Here it is:

Go to the local junkyard and pick up the section of engine compartment wiring harness that runs from the foglights and headlights to the main bundle of wire, make sure you get the plastic sockets that the bulbs plug into, it makes it a lot easier.

Next get rid of everything except the wires for the fog lights and the sockets that plug into the bulbs, there should be a black ground and a tan-ish or yellow-ish power wire than runs into the driver side socket then out of the driver side socket to the passenger side socket (keep the black plastic wire protector though you'll use it later).

Leave enough of the power wire to easily get through the firewall (8-10 feet should be plenty, add some from the rest of the harness if needed) and leave enough ground wire to comfortably reach your ground (depends on what you use as your ground)

Put the black plastic wire protector back on and electric tape up any part you want covered.

Put the "new" harness in place how you like it, I hid the front section of mine by putting it under the removable plastic piece that is on top of the radiator support (has the engine info sticker on it I think) and ran the rear section along the driver side fender to the firewall.

Unplug you existing sockets from you fog light bulbs and tape them up and make sure they won't get caught in anything (ziptie them to something).

Plug the sockets from the "new" harness into you bulbs.

Make your ground somewhere.

Run the power wire through the firewall any way you can, I ended up drilling a small hole next to where the OEM harness goes through (b/c I couldn't snake it through the OEM hole) and using a grommet.

Run it into a fuse that has power when the truck is running, I think I used the radio. This might take a few trial and error runs to get the right fuse.

This worked on my '02 so that my fog lights serve as daytime running lights. And now I am able to run just my parking lights with the fogs, and the fogs also stay with my high beams.

This isn't the most professional or pretty job but I think if a good enough job is done hiding the "new" harness it does look pretty clean and not cobbled. And the bottom line is, it works, at least it has for me. Let me know if there is anything I need to explain better. Good luck.

Another bonus: If you don't like it or need to restore factory settings for any reason, all you have to do is unplug the "new" harness from your bulbs and plug your OEM harness back in to your bulbs since you didn't alter/remove it

Last edited by 02SCSB5.4L4x4; 10-20-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
This worked on my '02 so that my fog lights serve as daytime running lights.
This is not legal in all states. In fact, using fog lights at all is not legal everywhere - Illinois has a law on the books that says that you may only use them when it's legal to use high beams. This means they have to go off whenever within so many feet of another vehicle. Enforcement is another story - I haven't heard of any cops out looking for this, but if they needed an excuse to pull you over and bust your chops for whatever reason, it gives them a reason.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by glc
This is not legal in all states. In fact, using fog lights at all is not legal everywhere - Illinois has a law on the books that says that you may only use them when it's legal to use high beams. This means they have to go off whenever within so many feet of another vehicle. Enforcement is another story - I haven't heard of any cops out looking for this, but if they needed an excuse to pull you over and bust your chops for whatever reason, it gives them a reason.
Oh, didn't know that. Well I haven't had any problems with the police. Might be because I never take my smoked headlight covers off so my highs are like lows and my lows are even dimmer (I still switch to lows when I meet somebody or am following somebody though). Who knows . . .

Old 10-19-2008, 12:30 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd also assume that there are laws that govern the use of smoked headlight and taillight covers - if a cop wanted to be a ***** he could measure the light intensity.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I'd also assume that there are laws that govern the use of smoked headlight and taillight covers - if a cop wanted to be a ***** he could measure the light intensity.
Yeah I'm actually supposed to take them off at night but since I don't do a huge amount of driving after dark I don't bother. And I do my best not to give them a reason to stop me in the first place (stock exhaust manifolds and converters w/ the Super 44 help me out here).

Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
here is the article i was reading from...

http://www.geocities.com/tedoca/headlight.html

Last edited by EBXGSXR; 10-21-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 PM
ok, i just did both portions of this mod according to the link i posted above. very nice...and not that hard. although i did break a little tab that was on the **** of the headlight switch. but it didnt matter since there is another tab that goes into the shaft of the ****.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I just wired my own power wire to the fog light relay, and put my own separate switch on the dash. I can turn them on at any time, with any combination of other lights i so choose.

My 03 XLT didnt come with fogs, but had all the wiring there, minus the switch and fogs.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
hey can anyone tell me are there lights on the headlight swtich. so at night they are illuminated? i cant remember. i know there is a illuminated light for the fog lights, but i cant remember if there are lights for the rest of the switch. everything is working correctly, but i dont know if i left something disconnected. figure i would ask before i went trying to rip that thing out again.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
hey can anyone tell me are there lights on the headlight swtich. so at night they are illuminated? i cant remember. i know there is a illuminated light for the fog lights, but i cant remember if there are lights for the rest of the switch. everything is working correctly, but i dont know if i left something disconnected. figure i would ask before i went trying to rip that thing out again.

There are lights on the headlight switch. I had mine apart yesterday to modify it for having the foglights on with my parking lights and noticed two LED's. One is amber for the foglights, the other is a clear LED with a green sleeve over it for the rest of the little icons. As long as you plugged both plugs in correctly to the back, I don't see why you wouldn't have the lights for any othe reason than the LED burned out. The green LED is on located on the dimmer switch side of the unit.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
here is the article i was reading from...

http://www.geocities.com/tedoca/headlight.html
That's the tutorial I posted at F150.net

I used it, and it worked perfectly for my truck.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 PM
mud terrain. if you posted it, thanks. very good instructions & very easy to do. thanks very much.

guess maybe my bulb is burned out. i dont remember if it was ever on before i did the mod, but i noticed it after.

Quick Reply: Fog and headlight interlock removal?