i need help bad..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need help bad..

ok, i have asked this before but got no responses, so im hoping someone will reply and help me out.
I have helo max 18s on my 05 f150 KR. I have put on the 2.5 inch leveling kit and the tires are as you know, really small looking. I really want to put some 35s on there, but i realize 35s will cause alot of rubbing, what about a 325 65 18, overall diameter comes out to a 34.4" tire, and they are AT tires. what do you guys think. i know there will be some rubbing but as long as they dont tear anything up. 33s are a only if solution. The rims are 5.5 backspacing by the way.

Thanks in advanced.
Bo

Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 AM
It is not the height that causes the rubbing issues; it's the width for the most part, rubbing on the control arms. i have 33's on the factory wheel with no problems at all. I have seen alot of guys on 35 with the factory wheel. I don't think you'll have a problem. try 35-12.50-18. The problems are also when the offset of the wheel places your tire outside of the well. i had 18x9.5 with 4.25 backspace and 33's and they rubbed on the body so hard i went back to factory to not mess with the noise anymore.WANDELL may have some more info or could help you out better. Good luck

Last edited by TX-FX-4; 12-20-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM
first off, thank you so much for the reply. i have 5.5 inch backspacing, what is the factory backspacing and how does the backspacing work exacly, does less backspacing mean it sticks out more or what...

also, were the tires you were running a MT tire or an AT tire

again, thanks

Old 12-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I believe the backspacing on the factory wheel is at 5.5. for the 7.5" wide wheel. Backspace is the distance from the mounting portion of your wheel to the back portion of the wheel.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.dos

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Here are a couple of things to look at BEFORE you purchase your wheels so that you won't regret it later on when you don't have the look you want. First off, select a couple of styles. Going for that ONE AND ONLY wheel may not give you the correct look or application you want if it is not meant to fit your car the way it is supposed to. It can rub severely or look weird and also affect handling that could be for or against you. I just went through that problem. Backspacing is important but so is offset. and the width of the rim is also to be considered. Our factory wheels look more like they belong on front wheel drive cars due to the way they were made with their offset and backspace. Unlike the older rear wheel drive cars that had The deep reverse-looking wheels. For our trucks I would consider a rim in 17x8.5 or 18x8.5 with 5-6 inches of backspace. I think anything more than that may cause them to stick out a few inches depending on width and backspace. Now if you get a lift you would want them to come out of the sides a little to get a better balance. As you go taller, you also want to go wider for stability.Also you can ask them to mount a wheel on your truck without the tire and see if it looks good to you or if it will work. Most places will not let you change your mind ONCE THE TIRE IS MOUNTED. So before you commit, ask them to show you pictures of other trucks, show you the wheel on your truck, or some places also rent wheels for a few weeks or months. Try to find a place like this and try different things BEFORE spending a couple of grand on the wheels/tires you want. Good luck

Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you best bet is to go with 325/60-18's which are basically a 33x13.00-18 tire. I've seen several 04-06 4x4's with these tires and a leveling kit on 9 inch wheels and they look great.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 AM
i allready have the helo rim so i cant really go with another rim, but see here is my thinking, and help me if im wrong here wandel, if i have the same backspacing as the stock tires, and im only 1.5 inches wider, shouldnt i be able to stick a 34.4" tall tire that is 12" wide on that wheel with minimal rubbing...?? my thing is, just because a tire company says that their tires are 35" doesnt mean they are 35s, the overall diameter on many tires is 34.4" and the company calls them a 35. Soooo, im bettin if i do a 34.4" AT tire, i bet it will fit, 33s just are way way way to small for this truck

Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 AM
I think you'll be alright. some guys are running 35's on the factory wheel with only a leveling kit with no issues(that I have read/heard of) If the backspacing is the same you won't really know until you try. Ask the guys to mount one for testing and see if it rubs. Before you do the whole set. Just my opinion. A wider wheel also creates a wider angle when turning. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:50 AM
and yes, some companies advertise their tires as 35's when they are really slightly under that size.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:56 AM
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Here are the two tires you are comparing. You should be alright since they are the same width. Also they will rub on the control arms like some have claimed maybe 35's slightly more due to the extra height(don't know for sure). I would go with a 35-12.50-18 because it's not as wide compared to 12.79. But you may have to trim some plastic to prevent rubbing inside.
Hope this helps. Many don't consider running 35's unless you have a full 4-6 inch lift. By not having a lift you may limit the articulation of the truck or its ability to clear an obstacle or flex into the well. (just in case you plan on doing some good offroad trails)Many run 33's until they get a lift. Also realize that the bigger tires are heavier, the Nitto 35's mud grapplers are over 80 pounds and my Toyo 33's mud terrains are 75 pounds and that means less performance and less gas mileage.I was just reading that the guys running 325-65-18 have a lift on their trucks. There is a member with 35 on stock wheels with the leveling kit.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...%2F65-18+terra
You won't know until you do it. Just be happy with your setup.

Last edited by TX-FX-4; 12-21-2005 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, if they don't fit, just install a 3 inch body lift!

Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 AM
yea. i was thinking if they didnt fit really well, i could just do the body lift, maybe...but, yea, im not looking to go rock climbing or anything, as long as they dont rub real bad when im pullin out of the driveway, i could care less.

Quick Reply: i need help bad..