All terrain tires.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking All terrain tires.

Do all-terrain tires get better mileage than mud tires?

Old 10-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe that is a myth, all other things being equal (size, tire construction, etc.)

Old 10-02-2005, 10:09 AM
IMHO AT's are quieter on the street and wear longer.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Are you talking about gas mileage or tread life?

Gas milegage: as wandell said, if they are the same size I doubt youll see any/much difference.

Tread life: AT's usually last a good bit longer from what Ive seen, but it depends on the actual tire really.

Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Blindman didn't ask about tread wear but I figured if he was concerned about a couple of tenths difference in mpg he must be a cost sensitive kind of guy. Unless you run more off road than street I feel you get more bang for your buck out of the A/T.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by ECG : Blindman
Do all-terrain tires get better mileage than mud tires?
I went from Bridgestone Dueler MTs to Bridgestone AT Revos. I picked up an extra 40 miles to the tank instantly. MTs don't wear well and are noisy. Mileage gets worse with age and wear. The Revos don't get the milage now that they once got. It has slipped some. But no more M/Ts for me. A/T Revos are great and last one heck of a long time.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it also depends on the wieght of the tire also

Old 10-06-2005, 12:30 AM
The more agressive the tire, the more it conflicts with the road surface therefore, more fuel used. First of all, don't get a mudder unless you spend a fair amount of time offroad...or...Have a lot of dough!

Highway Tire/All Season: 80% highway/20% Offroad
All Terrain: 50% Highway/50% Offroad
Mud Terrain: 20% Highway/80% Offroad

Dan

Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOneFifty
The more agressive the tire, the more it conflicts with the road surface therefore, more fuel used. First of all, don't get a mudder unless you spend a fair amount of time offroad...or...Have a lot of dough!

Highway Tire/All Season: 80% highway/20% Offroad
All Terrain: 50% Highway/50% Offroad
Mud Terrain: 20% Highway/80% Offroad

Dan
BULL you can get good milage with MT's no problem just keep them well rotated and alined. Got 39,000 on MT's mostly highway!!

Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Mud terrains are a More aggressive tire but due to their larger gaps between tread. They are noisy, and do not flow smoothly on street surfaces.the friction created by the gaps in the tire creates drag, making your engine work harder and affecting mileage. In mud they will rock but on the street they will bog you down on long distances. Also the rubber compund differs from a street tire causing them to wear excessively. If you do alot of mudding close to your home they not only look great but are intended for that purpose. If you do little offroading you should look at something more versatile and street friendly. I have read reviews on tirerack.com about the BFGOODRICH AT/KO and they perform poorly in the mud. Bridgestone dueler REVO has gotten the best reviews over-all. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 PM
i got Bridgestone MT's this is my first set that i have had from new, it was either these or AT's
i dont do a lot of off-roading but i do a lot of coyote and bear hunting on two tracks and whatnot. with MT's a rarely have to put it in 4x4. i think they r the way to go unless your truck never sees dirt
as far as milage i didnt loose any, i notice it drop if i push the gas peddle to far too often
as far as tire wear, AT's may last a long time, MT's will if you take care of them these tires need a lot of rotation and the proper air pressure and they will last
plus the MT's have much thicker tread than the AT's to start with
good luck with ur decision

Old 10-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by fordtough_k_w
i got Bridgestone MT's this is my first set that i have had from new, it was either these or AT's
i dont do a lot of off-roading but i do a lot of coyote and bear hunting on two tracks and whatnot. with MT's a rarely have to put it in 4x4. i think they r the way to go unless your truck never sees dirt
as far as milage i didnt loose any, i notice it drop if i push the gas peddle to far too often
as far as tire wear, AT's may last a long time, MT's will if you take care of them these tires need a lot of rotation and the proper air pressure and they will last
plus the MT's have much thicker tread than the AT's to start with
good luck with ur decision
I had BS Dueler At's and then went to the BS MT's. I sure was glad to go back to the BS AT Revos!! I picked up 40 miles to the tank, can hear the radio again and can pull out in traffic on a wet road. The MT's were good offroad only. Snow, ice, dry and wet the AT' Revos are superior. Plus I was always rotating the MTs for better wear.

Quick Reply: All terrain tires.