Changing OEM drums for Disc???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing OEM drums for Disc???

I was wondering, who's gone through the process of changing rear OEM drum brakes for disc brakes. This is an upgrade that I would like to do after upgrading the fronts. Mine is a 98 and I did not have the option of having disc rear brakes like later models (99-up).

Old 05-29-2005, 04:03 PM
If you do the upgrade, you wil need to update your ABS systems as well as your computer, and your master cylinder. It's gonna be expensive.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 05-29-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:39 AM
I got a whole brand new rear end for $600 + freight. It's disc to disc including gears. My total was around $750. I got disc brakes + 3.73 gears as well.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 AM
I also have a 98 F-150 and thought about doing this mod.. I found this web-site that has the conversion kits. According to them the kit works with your currrent ABS system so there is no need to change any of that stuff. Here is the web-site http://www.tsmmfg.com/2530M.htm

Last edited by cowboy94; 05-31-2005 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes it will work with the ABS system, but not as it is supposed to. They are calibrated for vehicle wight and volume/pressure in the brake line. Because the rear caliper on the disc brakes are of a different volume than the wheel cylinders of the drum brakes they will not function properly. Yes they will make noise like it is working, heck it doesn't know you've switched the brake volume in the caliper/wheel cylinder, so in effect, NO the ABS system will not work. You will need a 4 wheel disc master cyliner as well as a ABS Valve for a 4 wheel disc set-up. None of the ABS updates will work without the correct computer to tell it what do do.

Now you will know why I said Big Bucks.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by cowboy94
According to them the kit works with your currrent ABS system so there is no need to change any of that stuff. Here is the web-site http://www.tsmmfg.com/2530M.htm

I didn't see them address the brake fluid volume or ABS issue anywhere on that site. I'm not saying that the disc brake conversion won't work, I've put them on older trucks, its just that the ABS system just won't function as intended.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 05-31-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. In addition to the whole new axle I got the ebrake cable, master cylinder, lines... Still under 1K + labor.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:21 AM
OK...I went back to the web-site and located it for you. here is the link http://www.tsmmfg.com/Ordering_Examples_1.htm You can always give them a call.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the link. Looks very interesting. That's what I am doing right now, gathering information. First I have to regear and then new tires and that's a lot of money. After recovery from that big hit I will be back with projects like this one.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Yes it will work with the ABS system, but not as it is supposed to. They are calibrated for vehicle wight and volume/pressure in the brake line. Because the rear caliper on the disc brakes are of a different volume than the wheel cylinders of the drum brakes they will not function properly. Yes they will make noise like it is working, heck it doesn't know you've switched the brake volume in the caliper/wheel cylinder, so in effect, NO the ABS system will not work. You will need a 4 wheel disc master cyliner as well as a ABS Valve for a 4 wheel disc set-up. None of the ABS updates will work without the correct computer to tell it what do do.

Now you will know why I said Big Bucks.

Again......

Old 06-02-2005, 09:06 AM
While I will not be doing this in a near future, maybe them or another company will come out with an improved version of this product, perhaps addressing ABS equipped trucks.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Updating to include the ABS issue probabley not...read on.....

In 1988, GM had a problem with the rear drums being undersized for the size of the truck in the 1500-2500 light duty. They didn't have enough rear braking so it caused the fronts to last around 9000 miles. To remedy this GM should have put larger brakes on the rear and updated the master with the correct proportioning. Instead they went to BF Goodrich Aerospace and asked them for a pad that would last longer. They were using Carbon metallics on airplanes and though they would last longer.

Born was the day of Carbon Metallics on autos.

This did make the brakes last longer....almost 18,000 miles. Wow, they doubled it.

Why did they do this...because manufacturers are building and designing future autos, not current ones. The vehicles they were designing were for were 1991, and this had ABS. To change the brake system not with ABS involved, it would be around $900 per vehicle to address. To change the system with ABS it was going to cost GM almost $2500 per vehicle.

Do you know what GM did? They ignored it and stated in their warranty that brake pads are consumables and not covered under the warranty.

My point is that things might work....but that doesn't make them right...or working correctly.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 06-02-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing OEM drums for Disc???