2004 F-150 FX4, grooves in rear rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2004 F-150 FX4, grooves in rear rotors

I have the vehicle listed above and have grooves in the rear rotors after only 17k miles, does anybody else have this problem?

What makes Ford to have to make a recall?

Just came back from the dealer and he said the brake pads have plenty of pad left.

So what makes the grooves in the rotors? The front are not like that.

You would think the front would take most of the punishment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Old 03-28-2005, 09:05 PM
In 81 I bought a mustang new that did the same thing on the front. Semi metali pads were so hard that they grooved the rotors. the dealer would not do a thing. I had the rotors cut put the cheap old asbestos pads on and no more problem. I have read a lot of good things about ceramic pads but have'nt had a chancey them yet.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:08 PM
thanks

Does anyone even make asbestos brakes anymore. EPA and everything??? How many miles did you get out of those?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Yeah they still do. Thats why blowing out the brake dust with shop air is a big NO. Don't really remember the mileage. I would imagine any aftermarket regular duty pads will give you good life and no grooves. Some of the more agressive pad compounds for high performance applications will increase wear and dust.

TRy a search on best pads I'm sure you'll get a lot of info.
Good luck.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:28 PM
thanks

Thanks..............

Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
I've got the same thing going on with mine. Driver's side rear rotor. Like peppermrj said, the pads are so hard, and these trucks are so heavy, they chew the rotors up.

My service manager told me to watch them and if they got worse then bring it back in, so maybe they will replace the pads, turn the rotors, and if I'm real lucky, I'll get a set of good pads this time. hehehe

Old 03-30-2005, 07:33 PM
breaks suck

yea man my breaks stink.... they make all kinds od noises all the time and ford wont do anything about it! what can i do? it only has 18,000 miles

Old 04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
04 brakes are not good

I'm having same problem. rotors have ridges. I'm going to take to dealer but sounds like I'll get no postive response there. They squeek and getting worse. Also grinding a little. My local mechanic said pads are fine and rotors don't need turning but felt like my low miles (13,000) would not have rotors like these. I don't drive it hard at all so it's not a driver problem.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:06 PM
same problem here.

just called my ford dealer. he tells me that because they are metal pads that will happen. there is nothing you can do about it. i asked what about ceramics? he tells me they will ruin your rotors.

but, he told me to bring it in. in addition to the grooves i'm having shuddering during braking when coming to a complete stop. he said the rotors are probably warping, and that they will machine them.

under warranty. hopefully they don't turn me away when they see my 325/60/18's. fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: 2004 F-150 FX4, grooves in rear rotors