Chip for 4:10gears NOT Superchip? dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Chip for 4:10gears NOT Superchip? dyno results

Diablo will not cover the gear change until "sometime next year". Is there a decent chip manufacturer that can correct the speedo for a gear change? B&M?

Last week I ordered Motorsport gears($215 with shim kit from PAW) for my 99 F150 5.4L. I also put a Superchip and ASP pulleys on it. The Superchip produced NO HP GAINS when tested on an eddy current dyno with weather corrections. It was tested as an acceleration test and as a lug down test. The shift feel is improved, but I can buy a B&M transmission chip that will do that for only $42(carparts.com). I also Superchipped a 93 Mark8: gained 8hp at the wheels (26hp at the crank is advertised) but the extremely early shift points were not changed at light throttle. The response I got from Superchips was basically: drop another $125 into the F150 chip and we'll see if we can advance the timing curve a bit to get a few Hp and make the gear change AND if you want any real change in shift points for the Mark8 it'll be another $125. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the gear change capability was being added to all their chips as a normal non-custom feature. And raised shiftpoints(and 28Hp) are advertised. The web page promises a lot, but the chips didn't deliver. Can anyone say false advertising. Unfortunately most companies make misleading performance claims, because most people have no way to substantiate their claims. I know Gibson's claims were more than triple its actual gains for a catback.

The ASP pulleys were a pleasant surprise - 5-7Hp at the wheels(8 crank Hp) for $170(rpmoutlet.com). Some grinding was necessary to install the waterpump pulley though. No big deal.

Another interesting thing occurred, I gained 6-8 wheel Hp by running premium fuel for 10 days before testing, without the chip. It appeared the stock computer learned to advance the timing curve. This is possible, since there is a knock sensor on the engine. I would like to go back to regular and then to premium again before I would really believe this. I would love to hear an engineer comment on this, that does not have a financial interest with a chip company. If this is true, a chip for most vehicles would not be worth much.

Dan Kryszczuk
dank@pinehurst.net

------------------

Old 12-14-2000, 08:57 PM
Talking

You must have bought your chip from someone other than Mike. I don't think his policy is like the one you mentioned and his chip definitely works. My truck will always have the Superchip installed because it works as advertised.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 12-14-2000, 09:44 PM
The HP gain you noticed with premium and a stock chip is real and has been built in by Ford since 98 or 99. They don't openly advertize it, because they don't want people to get confused into thinking they NEED premium. If you're willing to pay the premium price, the performance is there.

As to the Superchip, send it back. I did with mine after it produced zero gains at the strip. They nicked me for a restocking charge, but thats a damned sight better than being out $125. The increasing availability of dynos is probably going to change a lot of HP claims in the next few years.

Old 12-14-2000, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I don't know what's wrong with you guys, but I have seen very, very impressive results with MIKE TROYER's SUPERCHIPS. In almost 100 degree weather, I ran a 16.01 at the dragstrip BONE STOCK! (except for 4.10 gears) I let the truck cool down and then installed my SUPERCHIP. I then ran a 15.68! I could of gone faster but I was hitting the rev limiter on the 1ST to 2ND upshift really bad because of the 4.10 gear install. This caused the truck to almost stall during the upshift. I sent the SUPERCHIP back to MIKE TROYER and had him adjust it for the 4.10 gears. I then went back to the track a few months later. The conditions were almost identical as the 1ST time to the track. (100 degree temps) The truck ran 16.01 again with no chip. I installed the chip and let the truck cool down. The 2ND run, WITH THE CHIP, I ran 15.38! That's a 6.3 tenth of a second drop off my stock time. MIKE TROYER told me that they usually only see a 3 tenth drop in times at the dragstrip with the SUPERCHIP. He was very surprised at my results with his chip. I am working on a custom "FLIPCHIP" for my truck with MIKE right now. In "RACE" mode it should be able to drop another 3 tenths off my 1/4 mile times. If it does that will be almost a full second off with just the SUPERCHIP. I then added JBA headers, ASP pulleys, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit, DERALE twin electric fans, and some minor porting on the TB elbow and went 14.53! I could of gone faster but I was TOTALLY over maxing the stock 19lb injectors and running out of fuel on the top end of the track. By the way your speedo CAN be fixed for 4.10 gears with the SUPERCHIP. I had it done on my "FLIPCHIP". I would suggest that you two either get your trucks checked out or send your chips to MIKE TROYER to have him see if there is something wrong with those particular chips that you received. Or have MIKE make you one. Just my opinion.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-14-2000, 11:09 PM
No, I bought my chip at rpmoutlet.com along with the pulleys. Now why would Mike's chip be any different? Superchips just mails the same CD to all their dealers to download information onto its blank chips. Mike, if you see this, tell me if I am wrong. Mike will guarantee gains, but not the 28hp and 40 ft*lb that is advertised by Superchips. I've asked. If you look at the dyno chart on the Superchip website for the 4.6L, you will notice only 7-8 crank hp maximum gain, except for a quick spike during the shift. That spike is not an engine hp gain. They use the spike for their advertised gain. Then shift kits should start advertising hp gains too.

Next, how do you know your chip does more than change shift feel and slightly increase WOT rpm? Do you have any proof that you have more power at any rpm? My dyno tests showed no improvement in torque or horsepower at any rpm. A 0.1sec improvement in the 1/4 mile could be attributed to stiffer shifts. Again, that is a $42 B&M shift chip that can be turned on and off anytime. My truck feels different, but not faster. Catbacks sound good, but they don't do much for power either. Most people want to believe they spent their money wisely. Maybe some calibrations work. Do you have a 99 or newer 5.4L? Did you try running premium gas before the chip?

Dan Kryszczuk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bubbadewsky:
You must have bought your chip from someone other than Mike. I don't think his policy is like the one you mentioned and his chip definitely works. My truck will always have the Superchip installed because it works as advertised.
</font>

Old 12-14-2000, 11:30 PM
I don't doubt for a moment that the Superchips work well for some trucks, there's too much real evidence, such as your's to doubt it. I also know that there was zero difference in my 4.0 Ranger before chip/with chip/after chip. It ran 16.3 @ 81. The only difference was a higher shift point, well above the HP peak, and more expensive fuel. I'm not looking to repeat the experiment with my 4.9, if I need changes, I'll get my factory PCM reburned.

Old 12-15-2000, 02:03 AM
If I were you I would definately talk to Mike Troyer in the computer chips forum.Too many people in here get gains all the way through the rpms.

Old 12-15-2000, 10:37 AM
Ny experience with aftermarket mods are the following:

Each one gives a noticeable "feel" or small increase. BUT together they accomplish quite a bit!

My Expy with the Superchip "feels" different... I think it has more power. How much? I dont know.
---------------------------

95 Camaro Z28 1/4 mile increases (approx)

Chip (Hypertech PowerProgrammer 3)
- stock 14.1 consistantly
-chip 13.85-13.9 consistantly

March Underdrive Pulleys
-felt different but very little change in 1/4 maybe .05 of a second

No cats, modded exhaust, Cold-Air intake, Bigger TB, AND Headers
-about .5 or so increase
-consistantly running 13.3's - 13.4's

Gear change from 2.73's to 3.73's
- HUGE increase in 0-60 (about mid 4's on average.
-consistantly doing 13.1's - 13.2's ON STOCK TIRES

-----------------------------------

Each mod would boast an increase of 15 HP or 30 HP or whatever... My HP stock was 280 and after ALL modifications the HP was supposed to be something around 400 HP.

I never dyno'd the car BUT a similar vehicle, Dodge Viper RT/10 (early models) had 400 HP. same power to weight ratio, and would run high 12's to about 13.1 in the 1/4 WITH AWSOME TRACTION! I had traction problems....

So I tend to believe the HP gains the manufacturers tell us are true. IF you use the parts in conjuction with other mods!

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

[This message has been edited by Rand (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 11:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I have learned to take all claims from any
manufacturers,auto or otherwise,with a grain of salt. My truck never broke the tires loose with all of the mods done before the chip. I ran premium fuel exclusively before installing it,just loved knowing it was in there. The chip seemed
to tie all the mods together,and the tires have been squealing ever since. The 26 HP gain was possibly a best case scenario,and it doesn't bother me. I'm sure all performance companies do this.
So leave my chip alone,it definitely made quite a difference,,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.

Come see my new picturesat www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 12-16-2000, 12:00 AM
Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:
HI!... I don't know what's wrong with you guys, but I have seen very, very impressive results with MIKE TROYER's SUPERCHIPS. In almost 100 degree weather, I ran a 16.01 at the dragstrip BONE STOCK! (except for 4.10 gears) I let the truck cool down and then installed my SUPERCHIP. I then ran a 15.68! I could of gone faster but I was hitting the rev limiter on the 1ST to 2ND upshift really bad because of the 4.10 gear install. This caused the truck to almost stall during the upshift. I sent the SUPERCHIP back to MIKE TROYER and had him adjust it for the 4.10 gears. I then went back to the track a few months later. The conditions were almost identical as the 1ST time to the track. (100 degree temps) The truck ran 16.01 again with no chip. I installed the chip and let the truck cool down. The 2ND run, WITH THE CHIP, I ran 15.38! That's a 6.3 tenth of a second drop off my stock time. MIKE TROYER told me that they usually only see a 3 tenth drop in times at the dragstrip with the SUPERCHIP. He was very surprised at my results with his chip. I am working on a custom "FLIPCHIP" for my truck with MIKE right now. In "RACE" mode it should be able to drop another 3 tenths off my 1/4 mile times. If it does that will be almost a full second off with just the SUPERCHIP. I then added JBA headers, ASP pulleys, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit, DERALE twin electric fans, and some minor porting on the TB elbow and went 14.53! I could of gone faster but I was TOTALLY over maxing the stock 19lb injectors and running out of fuel on the top end of the track. By the way your speedo CAN be fixed for 4.10 gears with the SUPERCHIP. I had it done on my "FLIPCHIP". I would
Hey Neal,
I was reading about your truck and the things you have done to it, I was wondering if you could tell me how much metal you had taken out of the elbow and the TB on your truck. Also if you didn't care what did you do to come about 330 HP's also, any help would be great, thanks a mill!!!!
Jason

suggest that you two either get your trucks checked out or send your chips to MIKE TROYER to have him see if there is something wrong with those particular chips that you received. Or have MIKE make you one. Just my opinion.

</font>

------------------

Old 12-16-2000, 12:55 AM
Banned
Red face

I'm with Dan here, the gains advertised by Superchips are misleading. The shift pikes are bogus, and gains throughout the RPM range are 5-8 HP at best. I am speaking with over 200 dyno runs under my belt, and lately Superchipped 5.4 truck owners. It's tough to show them their dyno graph that indicates no appreciable gain from their Superchip. I have no doubt that the truck will be quicker on the street, and that is from the tranny features the chip offers. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Triton PCM's cut spark to 4 out of the 8 cylinders during shifts? Does Superchips touch this in the programming, or just the tranny line pressure and shift points? Chips do have a place into todays "bolt on" world, no doubt. In my experience, only custom programs (for gas vehicles) for people with more elaborate mods (blowers, cams, heads, etc.) will make a 10-30 rwhp gains. Why does Superchips charge twice as much for a Powerstroke chip, because it makes REAL power gains and owners KNOW it's working (they have a HUGE smile on their face).

Neal, do yourself a favor and get your rig to a dyno. Based on your weight and you times, I would be interested in seeing some HP numbers. Your accomplishments are to be commended, keep on the "hard gas".

Here is what my Magnacharger did for me, I haven't had time to try my "custom programmed" Superchip. I'll definitely post it!!

------------------

Magnacharged

[This message has been edited by White Trash (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-16-2000, 02:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... TRUE BLUE : I removed about a 1/8TH - 1/4 inch of aluminum all the way through the entire TB elbow. I did this with a high speed drill and a large CARBIDE porting head. I then use a 60 and 180 GRIT sanding paddle wheels to smooth out and polish the inside of the elbow. It looks like a mirror now!LOL I am planning on installing a 75mm BBK TB in the NEAR future so while I had the elbow off the truck, I ported the ROUND opening to about 75mm to match the new TB. Stock it was only 67mm on my truck. On the stock TB it is only about 66mm before the butterfly. After the butterfly it is the advertised 70mm. All I did was use the 60 and 180 grit paddle sanding wheels on a high speed drill and go back and forth in the TB. When doing this DO NOT REMOVE the butterfly! If you do you will make the 70mm portion bigger and the butterfly will no longer fit properly and cause idle problems. I used a digital caliper to take all my measurements and to make sure I did'nt go past 70mm. Then I removed the BUTTERFLY and just made a really quick pass right through the entire TB, just so it would all match up and cosmetically look right. I then took the TB shaft and cut the front section out. Just cut the section that is at the front of the BUTTERFLY where the screw heads are seen. Make sure you cut it flush with the inside of the TB, so not to cause aie turbulance in the TB. Then I used WAY smaller headed screws and lock tighted them back in. I then trimmed off the excess threaded portion with a DREMEL. I had seen this set-up on racing TB's, so I figure, WHAT THE HELL!lol! As for my H.P figures, I have consulted with MIKE TROYER, SUPERCHIPS, and my very accurate DRAGMATH program and came up with that H.P# and torque#. I would DYNO it, but as we all know the DYNOJET style dyno's are mostly set up for MUSTANG's and other vehicles weighing around 3500LBS. So strapping down a 4500 - 5000lb truck on this style dyno gives you WAY false #'s. I just love it when guys with LIGHTNING's say they have 345H.P at the rear wheels STOCK, when the truck only makes 360H.P at the flywheel. SUPERCHIP'S has proven AGAIN and AGAIN that the LIGHTNING's loses 69H.P through the drive train. MIKE TROYER has even told me that they hav'nt seen a LIGHTNING YET make more than 291H.P at the rear wheels, STOCK. Our trucks with the 4R70-W lose 65H.P through the drive train. So intill someone around here gets a "EDDY CURRENT" style dyno machine like SUPERCHIP's has, I won't be getting my truck dynoed. Just my opinion. Hope this hepls you out TRUE BLUE and if you need any more info, just let me know.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-17-2000, 08:58 AM
Why has not Mike T shown up to defend?

This is a HUGE finding in my book! Whats up with Mike?

No gains in chip should be a "holy cow batman" posting that Mike would surely jump on??

Mike?

Old 12-17-2000, 11:07 AM
First of all, Neal you have hurt my feelings! HaHa! My hp #'s were obtained on a dynojet dyno (last run 321 at rear wheels). Now I guess I should find another dyno to compare. Having been a member of a personal watercraft newsgroup for years, I understand the humor of reporting #'s that are not actually correct. (You wouldn't beleive the number of people that feel their speedo's are correct on the water). My point is thanks for the info. I don't want my postings to be viewed as ignorant because of inaccurate information.

Now as far as Dan's postings regarding Superchips. I understand the concern if no hp gains are noticed. Afterall that is the primary marketing tool of the product. However, in my case, it was not power that I was looking for. The corrections that the chip made for me were well worth the money. Having a lot more hp than a stock F-150 (Neal, notice I didn't state #'s Ha!) I needed to enhance the power. The chip corrected my speedo (which by itself was worth the money), firmed up the shift points, removed my high speed limiter and most importantly, it has corrected my lean condition.

I will go back to the dyno (Dynojet)_to get some additional numbers, but it will not be to recognize any gains. It will be to make sure that air/fuel numbers are correct and to see if there are any other areas of concern.

I know that for the short time that I have been a member here I have read more positive postings on the Superchip than any other product. Does it deliver greater HP gains? Not sure. But the improvements made to the program apparently offer the buyer a "seat of the pants" feel that is noticeable and well within the budget of most people. In addition, the customer support that I have received from Mike is second to none. His insight and knowledge have been worth the price of the chip. Too bad I didn't now him before I started my horsepower venture; He could have saved me some money!

Dan does have a legitimate concern. If customers are putting the chip on stock vehicles and noticing no hp gains, then Superchips is misleading their customers. This could be easily corrected by saying "Significant performance increase" rather than "20% horsepower gains". Either way I'm happy. We have to realize that these forums are designed to provide positive and negative feedback. Best advice, do your homework on products, seek testimonials from those that have tried certain set-ups, and keep your fingers crossed that you experience the result you are looking for.

Ron

Old 12-17-2000, 03:41 PM
Angry

HEY RAND I THINK YOU JUST GET A HUGE ONE TRYING TO STUR THINGS UP.

Quick Reply: Chip for 4:10gears NOT Superchip? dyno results