Chip for 4:10gears NOT Superchip? dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2000, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rand - Defend against what? An unscientific test and speculation based on this unscientific test. Right!!

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system and an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp.

Old 12-18-2000, 03:18 PM
Banned
Red face

Lutwiller, I agree with you about the chip being worth the money (for speedo correction, shift quality, quicker ET's, etc.). On 4.6 / 5.4 motors, the HP / Trq gains are not as advertised. If they count shift spikes, they (Superchips) are out of their minds. Does TransGo's shift kit need to advertise a 10-20 HP from shift spikes, I think not.

As far as people talking about "Adaptive Fuel Trim" and the like, I only wish a Ford Development Engineer could chime in. When you go WOT, the truck looks at tables, and not it's sensors (some maybe), open loop. While part throttle cruising, the PCM can trim it's fuel based on O2 sensor readings. Every chip I've used, begins its magic immediatley, there is no learning curve (On WOT issues, which is the way most people run on the dyno). I'm sure the newer EEC V's have some adaptive strategies, but if Superchips could make more power, it would show up immediately (or in a few hundred miles), and that hasn't been what I've seen.

I'm not an expert on Ford's EEC, but in the past with EEC IV, gains show up immediately. I usually use Mike Wesley Autologic Software (He used to be a Powertrain Calibration Engineer for Ford) and it always worked flawlessly. Superchips do work, they do have a place, but they don't make (much) more power on the 4.6 and 5.4! Do you think Ford would keep an Engineer that left 20-30 HP out of a program? Any way, buyer beware and if it works for you, it's money well spent.

------------------

Magnacharged

Old 12-19-2000, 07:09 AM
White Trash: Those are some VERY good questoins. However, dont expect to get ANY kind of answers at this web site! They only post speculation, sales pitches, and NO HARD EVIDENCE of any kind!

Yea, I would love to get to the bottom of the Superchip phenomena....

Good luck and dont waste too much time here... I've wasted HOURS and get nowhere!

Old 12-19-2000, 08:55 PM
I thought I would chime in a little info here.

We all know that ford's computer programs (for F150s) tune the engine to run on the lowest grade fuel(87 octane).So one would think that with them doing this,the program is actually quite conservative.Is this making sense so far? So if you run a higher octane, it really is a waste of money with the stock programming.However,(I am no expert but here goes nothing) with the superchips program the timing is advanced to take advantage of the higher octane fuel(92).Higher octane fuel does have more anti knock additives and burns better. The chip is simply taking advantage of these propeties found in higher grade fuels. I have never heard anything about what Strangeranger said about the factory program being able to make more power with higher octane fuels.Who knows maybe it can(I never noticed a difference when I used 92 octane fuel though).

One minor side note-I *heard* that the Diablo chip company was founded by some people who used to work for superchips.I don't know if it is true or not but it is interesting.

Old 12-20-2000, 07:56 AM
Dont know if there's any correlation, but someone in another thread said the Superchip dyno'd at something like 8 HP over stock.
Another persons posting said that using higher octane improved HP by as much as 8 HP because the newer programs can detect the knock and auto-advance the timing anyway.
Maybe it was the same guy! Not sure...

There is NO WAY the Superchip gets the 28 HP from simply advancing the timing in my 5.4! There's something else going on as well... Or is there?

Certainly would be nice to talk to an ex-Superchip employee. Might be able to get a different angle. Unless they are disgruntled. Then you're tipping the scales the wrong way... No help to us.

Old 12-20-2000, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... GEEZ! If the SUPERCHIP only gives you 8H.P, then that must be SOME 8H.P!LOL! Stock I ran 16.01. After the install of my SUPERCHIP in the same conditions on the same day, I ran 15.38! So I guess 8H.P knocked off 6.3 tenths in the 1/4 on my truck! NOT! Everyone keeps saying that no one is giving any evidence in H.P increase with the SUPERCHIP. I keep giving my evidence, but no one seems to care! I guess the truth just does'nt like to be heard then! Or me for that matter. All I can say is you guys can keep arguing about the SUPERCHIP and refuse to use it, and I'll keep passing you guys with my SUPERCHIP installed!LOL! Just my honest opinion.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-21-2000, 07:50 AM
Neal: I agree that 8 HP sounds far-fetched! SO DOES 6 TENTHS and 0-60 in 5.8!!

Do you have ANY idea what it really takes to get 6/10ths in the 1/4 mile?

For starters: Take a 97 Camaro Z28 LT1 with 285 HP. The average 0-60 was about 5.8 and avarage 1/4 mile was about 13.9. Then the 98 Camaro Z28 had the LS1 motor rated at 305 HP but 1000's of dyno's have proven its more like 345-350 HP STOCK! Same car, same weight! Average 0-60 is now about 5.5 and 1/4 miles are about 13.5. Some have seen high 12's with very littl modification! Super car for the money!

Anyway, to my point. That was about a 60 HP gain from the LT1 to the LS1. The 1/4 only improved about 4 or 5/10ths.

Just the fact that you say your getting 6/10ths from the Superchip tells me you've made an error. Might want to really check that 0-60! Maybe on a cold day, 60 mph tail wind, downhill, 1 qt of gas, and a lucky holeshot!

------------

Take a Sylclone. I can beleive you would get those numbers from the Superchip on that radical engine! But NOT a 5.4!

IF you truely are seeing those numbers, and I HOPE you are, you are one luck guy who really knows how to drive that truck!

Old 12-21-2000, 09:29 PM
Thumbs down

HI!... RAND : Do I know what it takes to drop 6/10's off of a vehicle in the 1/4 mile? OH PLEASE! If anyone on this board would know that, it would be me. Read lower sig buddy. By the way I am NOT in error. If I am I guess me, many people at two different dragstrips, and two seperate computer controlled systems at TWO seperate dragstrips are wrong and your right.NOT! I have time slips from two different dragstrips to document my results. That's called PROOF by the way! What do you have for PROOF? Nothing that's, that accurate anyway! By the way the 5.8 0-60MPH time I got was with all the mods that I have done to the truck at this point. I never said it was done with just the SUPERCHIP! It also does'nt take 60H.P to drop 6/10's off in the 1/4 mile. I was running 15.38E.T in the 1/4 mile with my SUPERCHIP and 4.10 gears. Then I added JBA headers (worth 17H.P), DERALE twin 16 inch electric fans (giving me back 7-10H.P that the stock clutch fan was stealing), ASP power pulleys (worth about 10H.P), and a BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit on stage "5" ( worth 0H.P, but allows quicker, shorter shifts). Now taking all that in to consideration and adding all those figures at their maximum H.p ratings, that gives me an increase of only 37H.P! Then I ran a 14.53E.T at the dragstrip. That is 8.5 tenths that I dropped off of my truck with just 37H.P! Well that screws up your theory, now does'nt it! One reason that it is easy for my truck to do 0-60MPH times close to a CAMARO is because of my 4.10 gears and that my truck makes a hell of a lot more low-end torque than a CAMARO does. Torque is what propells a vehicle from a dead stop to, let's say 60MPH. Not H.P. H.P does have a role in this but nowhere as much as torque does. Well that screws up that theory of yours as well, does'nt it! If you want physical proof I would be very happy to photo copy my time slips and mail them to you if you would like. By the way, my 0-60MPH times were done at the dragstrip, no tailwind and I don't get lucky on my holeshots! My truck runs consistant 2.0 60FT times. That is even better than some LIGHTNING's are getting on this board. My 0-60 times were done with two G-TECH PRO's in my truck running at the same time. These two G-TECH's are extremely accurate because they were almost perfectly duplicating the times that the dragstrips computer was giving me. You can dis-credit me as much as you want, if that makes you feel more superior, but what it all comes down to is that I am running 14.53E.T! What are you running? LOL!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 12-21-2000).]

Old 12-22-2000, 06:55 AM
Neal: I dont "run" anything anymore.

You are no doubt an exception to the rule! I'm sure your driving abilities have a lot to do with it! 99% of the people would not be able to accomplish what you did!

Old 12-22-2000, 11:20 AM
Thumbs up

Very well put Neal, What a come back, i raced snowmobile's on the grass, 500 feet drags 200 H.P., I just wanted to say your right, on any engine there are tricks to increase the torque and thats what gets you off the line and down the track into the winner circle, H.P. is second in my books,
TORQUE RULES!!!!!!

------------------
1999 Ford F-150 xlt .supercab, 4x4 sport pkg. 4.6 Triton, Black with grey int,A.R.E. Lid, ford bug deflector,Q-Forms,eclipes head unit,and speakers,kicker solo's for subs,1000 watt amp. Flow master 70 series, K&N drop in,jet chip .will be geting a superchip.

Old 12-22-2000, 02:19 PM
Just my $0.02 - Superchips makes HP increase claims, but they DON'T say those are PEAK hp gains. If you gain 26 HP at 3,000 rpm but make the same peak HP (or only gain 8 peak hp) at 5000, you've still gained 26 HP SOMEWHERE.

It's totally possible to have no gain in peak HP but still have a huge performance increase due to stronger power everywhere else.

Peak HP is just one spot on the graph, yet you guys get your panties all in a bunch about that one number like it means everything, even though your motor is probably only at peak HP less than 0.1% of the time you operate the truck.

We need to see the dyno graphs of the chip motor vs. stock, not just the peak numbers, to determine if the chip works.

My 'assjet' dyno tells me my chip works as advertised.

------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, Ford bed liner

Clarion ARX8570z Head Unit, Sony 10 disc CD, Infinity 610cs components & JBL GTO7520 speakers; USAcousitcs 4065 amp and Polk 8" subwoofer

Edelbrock IAS, Energy Suspension anti-sway bar bushings, Steeda Rear Anti-sway bar, 2" rear drop.

Superchip, Airaid FIPK, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic electric fan

Old 12-22-2000, 05:52 PM
Thumbs up

Another good reply , this is also very true what you are saying ,good one dirt bike dave.

------------------
1999 Ford F-150 xlt .supercab, 4x4 sport pkg. 4.6 Triton, Black with grey int,A.R.E. Lid, ford bug deflector,Q-Forms,eclipes head unit,and speakers,kicker solo's for subs,1000 watt amp. Flow master 70 series, K&N drop in,jet chip .will be geting a superchip.

Old 12-22-2000, 08:08 PM
Cool

HI!... Well said : 4WHEEELER, DIRTBIKE DAVE!

Old 12-23-2000, 12:01 AM
I understand the basic physics involved. I certainly understood the difference between HP and TQ. Thats NOT the question.

Besides, owning "other toys" does not make Neal a professional driver!
I too have SOME experience with doing 1/4 runs and mods to a car but dont claim to be an expert on the subject!

EVERYONE knows the difference between TQ and HP!

Old 12-23-2000, 08:55 AM
Lightbulb

i am looking for a chip.. What kind should i buy ... where do i get one.. i have a 4.6 99..thanks

Quick Reply: Chip for 4:10gears NOT Superchip? dyno results