4.6 pi engine into a non pi f-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 pi engine into a non pi f-150

Hello all. Mny 4.6 went down in my 99 f-150 and I have found one out of an 02 Crown Vic. From what I have heard I will need to switch intakes. One from a PI truck. What else will I have problems with? What alldo I need to get off the donor vehicle besides the engine?

Old 02-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Your question is asked about once a week on this site I believe...lol
There is a ton of information here regarding your project which is a pretty easy straight forward swap. Best bet is to perform a search using the search button above and have at it and Good luck.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to get a F150 engine because you need the intake. Vic engines throttle bodys are side ways. Search..

Old 02-23-2014, 04:12 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Why couldn't you put a truck intake on a CV engine?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM
You can and I have done it

Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Yes a truck intake will fit a CV, Mustang, or any 4.6 block cast iron or aluminum as long as you are mating a PI intake to PI heads or non PI intake to non PI heads no interchanging between non PI and PI.
Ok since I am back on here I will run thru this.
You can use the Crown Vic engine. The truck may be a Windsor engine the vin will have 6 for Windsor or W for Romeo, yes seems backwards but thats how it works. The Windsor will have 8 bolt crank /flex plate. The Romeo has 6 bolts holding the flex plate on so get the flexplate with the CV. The cam covers and front cover on a Windsor are different as well so get the CV cam covers and front cover just in case. Romeo will fit the CV. Even if the truck is a Windsor the intake will fit the CV heads as long as you mate PI intake with PI heads or visa versa..do not mix!! Use the truck oil pan with truck oil pickup tube if there is a clearance issue for the CV oil pan drain in the truck. Use the truck oil filter adapter and truck coolant outlet goose neck the truck coolant inlet and outlet is larger than the car. You can use the CV plastic clutch fan on the truck instead of the heavy steel truck fan and pickup a few HP. Use truck exhaust manifolds on the CV engine, I would install new ones and a new crankshaft seal while the engine is out. Install the exhaust manifolds before installing the engine it will go in fine and saves a headache later trying to put them in. Maybe check the CV chain tensioner's and replace while its out. put duct tape over the cyl head intake ports and double check before installing the heads that no bolts, nuts, etc. have fallen into the ports. Everything else will pretty much hookup a few small things may have to be rigged a little to fit but you will figure it out. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-23-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Would you also need truck exhaust manifolds?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Why couldn't you put a truck intake on a CV engine?
You certainly could. More parts more money. If you get the truck engine it has everything already. Cant use the non PI intake on PI..

Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by glc
Would you also need truck exhaust manifolds?
Yes I did suggest that in the directions above GLC. He needs truck manifolds as the CV will not match up with his truck exhaust system. I live in Michigan and we use salt on our roads so our cast exhaust manifolds get real bad real fast here. I usually just suggest it when I write something here so people will at least give them a look before installing the engine. It is a lot easier I think to install new ones while the engine is on an engine stand vs after it is in the truck. Some trucks from certain states will not have this concern however.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jethat
You certainly could. More parts more money. If you get the truck engine it has everything already. Cant use the non PI intake on PI..
Right jethat. I try to make it very clear that you cannot mix and match when it comes to non PI vs PI intake and cyl heads. If his truck engine is a non PI then he has to use a PI truck intake on the CV heads if they are in fact PI. I hate to assume that his truck is a non PI (It should be BUT)) because many times the engines at this point have been changed by someone prior to the current owner having them and they were upgraded to PI during that swap. So its up to the owner regardless of the vehicles vintage to know how to identify PI or non PI components and assemble accordingly. I did forget to mention however that his non PI truck ECM (if it is) will run the PI engine ok unless he plans to tow or haul heavy. Then he should get a tune on that ECM for the replacement
PI engine.

There I think I got it all straight...LOL

Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the help guys. My truck is a non PI Romeo. The motor is only $400 is why I was looking at it and not a truck engine. Its still in the car and I will be able to hear it run before buying. After posting this I found a 4.6 out of another f-150 same year that the owner claims is a windsor . I would have to see it to verify. They say the engine lost compression in one cylinder. They assumed it was a head gasket. I'm considering getting this engine having the heads checked out and getting a gasket set. Any advice on this decision? If I used the cv PI engine and had it tuned how much horsepower difference would I see?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Also the truck engine is only $275 so after putting a gasket set on it I would get out really cheap

Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM

Just my opinion but anytime I can hear a replacement engine run in the vehicle vs an engine with who knows what is wrong with it I will take the engine that is running if it runs well. By the time you buy a gasket set and replace them it could easily cost you more then the CV engine, and honestly you really don't know if that is the real problem with the used truck engine. It could be a bent rod, bent valves, hole in block, all kinds of different scenarios. The cost of the truck engine may very well exceed the CV engine. You can run the CV engine with its own intake manifold in your truck there is nothing saying you can't. you will lose a little lower end torque is all but then again you are installing a PI engine in place of a non PI which will give you around 30 more hp and 30 more lb ft torque. Its not real noticeable but its in that neighborhood. You can also pickup a PI truck intake at junk yard for cheap. I would stay away truck engine you are looking at it sounds to questionable for me. JMO

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-24-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks DYNOTECH. So I am leaning more towards the cv engine. If I go this route which injectors should I use if I buy a truck intake? I've heard the cv injectors would be better? Also my truck uses the two coil pack system. Would it be better to use the cop system off the cv? Any wiring issues doing this? When I pull my old engine I've heard I need to pull intake first to reach everything and leave intake off new engine until engine is in. Is this correct? Will the cab need to be unbolted and jacked up any?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 PM
the injectors are the same as far as I know..You might need a throttle body. Dont think the CV one or the one off your truck will work..

Quick Reply: 4.6 pi engine into a non pi f-150