oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure?

I started up my truck this morning it was really cold last night, almost 5 below. Started a little hard but nothing bad. After I started it up I noticed just sitting there idle that the oil pressure kept going from normal to nothing. I had to drive a couple miles to school and back and at stop signs it would go to no pressure and then when I hit the gas would go back to normal. It would also at times do this while I was driving. Its a 01 F150 with the 5.4 it has 130k on it. I am about due for an oil change I was thinking about taking it to the dealer having them do the oil change and look things over for me. I was just wondering if anybody has had this problem before? Thanks for the help!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f15062
I started up my truck this morning it was really cold last night, almost 5 below. Started a little hard but nothing bad. After I started it up I noticed just sitting there idle that the oil pressure kept going from normal to nothing. I had to drive a couple miles to school and back and at stop signs it would go to no pressure and then when I hit the gas would go back to normal. It would also at times do this while I was driving. Its a 01 F150 with the 5.4 it has 130k on it. I am about due for an oil change I was thinking about taking it to the dealer having them do the oil change and look things over for me. I was just wondering if anybody has had this problem before? Thanks for the help!
It is possible that your "oil pressure sending unit" is no good or there is a problem in the wiring.
If I were having this problem, I would look into right away.
If you have access to a mechanical oil pressure gauge, you can remove the oil pressure sending unit and place in the oil pressure gauge to get an accurate reading. Your 5.4L should be getting a reading of 40-70 PSI @ 1500RPM's with engine hot.

Don't wait around with this probelm. Good Luck

TJKinCNY

Old 01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. Im taking it for a oil change this afternoon. Im going to have them look it over. I had this problem last summer. I got the oil changed and I didnt have a problem again until a couple months ago when I got the oil changed at Walmart bad idea I know. They must of bumped one of the sensors and I tightened it and it was fine after that. It didnt go it the last time I got in it to go to class so Im hoping maybe its just some sludge. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
is it knocking? if not then you'll be ok for a little while but as tjk already said you shouldnt wait long to get it checked. if it is knocking then you do have a problem.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matts ford
is it knocking? if not then you'll be ok for a little while but as tjk already said you shouldnt wait long to get it checked. if it is knocking then you do have a problem.
Matt and tjk are right about the noise. On these engines with all the lash etc. if the pressure is low or non exsistant you should hear all kinds of ticking, rattling, knocking, etc. If no noise I would suspect the oil sending switch next to the oil filter. You are doing the right thing though by getting it checked out. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
well found the problem. Last summer I took my truck to a jiffy lube in my town. They must of ripped out the wire and stuck it back and sprayed silicone over it to keep it in. Its 30 bucks to fix. Any ideas on what to do with the place that screwed me. I dont think I can do much since I dont have the receipt anymore and really not much proof they did it.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f15062
well found the problem. Last summer I took my truck to a jiffy lube in my town. They must of ripped out the wire and stuck it back and sprayed silicone over it to keep it in. Its 30 bucks to fix. Any ideas on what to do with the place that screwed me. I dont think I can do much since I dont have the receipt anymore and really not much proof they did it.
Unfortunately, there is nothing you could do even with a reciept, especially
after so much time has passed. Prove it will be their response. Is it lack of time or tools & experience that stop you from doing your own oil change. Other than when my wife's 2007 was getting her free oil changes done, I do all of my oil changes and some for the family especially for my daughter. I don't trust anyone other than my local Ford dealer to change my oil.
Anyway, glad they found the problem and it was not a big deal.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:05 PM
hey guys, i have the same problem, only my truck is a 2004, f150, with a 4.6. i have already changed the oil pressure sensor, and now have the front cover off the engine and the drivers side cam out as well, also there was a light ticking coming from the side that i ripped apart. i havent found any major waer marks yet on the cam, but i think ill be pulling a head off right away. any other ideas would be great.

Quick Reply: oil pressure?