Engine system flush? ever get one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine system flush? ever get one?

Had my '05 in for the Bake hose recall. While it was there I had the oil changed. I get the Full Synthetic, and I let it go to about 7000. Well they called me and said that the Engine Oil was "Black & Dirty" and that they reccommend the Engine System Flush. I said No. I figure the oil should be a bit black and dirty, it's been in there for 7000 miles!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since your using synthetic i dont think you'll need one. but they do a pretty darn good job IMO. if you decide to do it then just get a engine flush chemical when you do your next oil change from any autoparts store and run it through your engine for about 10-20 minutes and then just change your oil. its cheaper that way. a dealer near my dads house charges $75 for exactly what i told you to do. the chemical is only 15 bucks that they use. it may be well worth it though considering all the tight clearances the modular engines have.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
as a ford tech i can tell you that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard...if your oil is black and dirty that means the oil is doing its job keeping your engine clean. a properly maintained engine will NEVER need a flush. engine oils have all the detergents in them that are needed to keep your engine clean. I have never sold a flush or even know of anyone who has...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 PM
I agree and I run an engine flush every 3rd oil change myself. It takes a little longer to change the oil but my 5.4L has 168,000 miles on it and not one leak or bit of engine smoke and burning of oil.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
326,000 miles and I've never had a flush, or any oil related issues. IMO It's just a way for dealers to get a few more $$ out of you, and has a possibility of doing more damage than good. I go between 5,000 and 7,500 miles between synthetic changes. I do need to add a quart of oil about every 1200 miles, so it does get quite a bit of new oil between changes, and it's a dark amber color when it comes out.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nu-supercrew
Had my '05 in for the Bake hose recall. While it was there I had the oil changed. I get the Full Synthetic, and I let it go to about 7000. Well they called me and said that the Engine Oil was "Black & Dirty" and that they reccommend the Engine System Flush. I said No. I figure the oil should be a bit black and dirty, it's been in there for 7000 miles!
I think you did the right thing!
I would never run that crap through one of my engines!!!!!

Phil

Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hmmm......

"Engine Flush" is usually something that those lube shops sell to make an extra buck when you're in there for a $19.95 oil change and/or smog check. It's a complete waste of your money. At my dealership, it's not even on the board. I even asked the service manager, jokingly of course, and he said, "What do you think we are? A Jiffy Lube? We don't cheat people like that."

Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM
when my dad worked for ford. and engine flush consisted of 2 quarts of diesel and 3 quarts of tranny fluid. run it at idle till the oil pressure light come on meaning the oil pickup is starved. then they drop they drain it and drop the pan and clean off the pickup screen. but this was on the old 302 motors. with really loose tolerances. the new modular motors ive never heard of them needing or offering one. these motors are so tight if enough sludge builds up a wrist pin gets pin or a rod bearing starts knocking.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
as a ford tech i can tell you that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard...if your oil is black and dirty that means the oil is doing its job keeping your engine clean. a properly maintained engine will NEVER need a flush. engine oils have all the detergents in them that are needed to keep your engine clean. I have never sold a flush or even know of anyone who has...
I second that being a ford tech myself for over 20 years. We have sold thousands of these flushes including power steering, trans, brake fluid, fuel injector, coolant. The techs in my place gets a dollar for each one sold and the dealer gets a whole lot more.
Do you need it? Nope the oils now a days already has detergents same as the fuel u put in ur trucks or cars.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Oil system flush

Originally Posted by Showya
I agree and I run an engine flush every 3rd oil change myself. It takes a little longer to change the oil but my 5.4L has 168,000 miles on it and not one leak or bit of engine smoke and burning of oil.
I have a 2003 F 150 I have never flush the engine oil it has 265000 miles on it praise break doesn't burn oil I do not recommend flushing your engine

Old 12-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Oh man, you responded to an 8 year old thread.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, am I sorry for not responding to a thread I started.. As it turned out, I never had any sludge in my 5.4 3v! The dealer tried to give me that same line of crap when my timing chain guides went in December of 2015. Well I know I am late, but thanks for all the input. Oh, and I do my own oil changes. I check it about every other tankful, and change it when I cannot 'see through' it on the stick and it looks like it needs a change. Usually ends up being just over 6k.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Engine system flush? ever get one?