Alternator No Charge 2000 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator No Charge 2000 4.6

A well meaning knot head tried helping my daughter with her radio, shorted "something" and now her alternator will not charge the battery.

Both alternator and battery test fine. I've done my homework here and checked both blade fuses(11 BJB and 16 inside) and the two big fusible link wires at the battery both test good. Still no charging.

Cranks and runs fine, just doesn't charge the battery.

I've tested all the fuses in both fuse panels, even the ones that don't say they have anything to do with the alternator and all the fuses test fine.

What am I missing? Given the circumstance, it's bound to be a fuse or fusible link(right), but I'll be darned if I can find it. I'm almost to the point of taking it to a shop, but I know it's a simple fix if I can just find it and it's killing me to think of paying somebody else to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Jbo

Old 12-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Oops. Guess I should have put this under "electrical systems." Feel free to move. I know double posts get annoying.

Jbo

Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM
OK. A friend more knowledgable than I stopped by today with a tester and after poking and prodding around agreed that the fuses all seem to be fine, but said that there is no signal telling the alternator to charge.

Jbo

Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There is a separate alternator field fuse "not" on either fuse panel..
Working on the radio should not have blown that fuse because it's dedicated to the alternator field.
Good luck.