Police Interceptor motor, Contrary to belief...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police Interceptor motor, Contrary to belief...

There was a not publicized difference for the 97-98 models. I was under the assumtion just like everyone else that they were all the same as any other 4.6. Ford never stated that any change was done, to my knowledge.

I came across a highway interceptor engine amongst the few engines I just purchased. It was noted in the dismantles computed that it was a police Hwy car. I just needed a pre-PI 4.6. To my disbelief upon removing the 2 valve Non-PI heads, the normal 11cc pistons were not in the cylinders. Instead are a set of the common 4 valve almost flat top pistons. I recognized them immediately, since I just built a 4 valve DOHC motor for my F150. I checked everything out on the motor, including gasket dates. The motor was origional, and NOT rebuilt.
I have pulled apart newer PI motors from Taxi's which also have an Interceptor badge, and they were normal, with 18cc. dish heads. So I guess that they only made this type of change on the earlier police cars.

Lowflyingbird

Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think their are some other undocumented items in the Interceptors cause I saw green top [42#?] injectors on a Crown Vic cop car that was in the city garage. Asked the mechanic had he changed them and he said no that they were original.
If those are 42# what kinda tune does that thing have?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Someone had to put those on?

You can easily install injectors and tune to make them work. But the HP coverage of a 42lb injector on a naturally aspired 4.6 is just overkill no matter how you look at it. There would be a ton of waste though. I have a 5.4 which ran a Lightning system. I'd think than an injector which could feed a 5.4 under up to 15psi of boost? max? would simply not meter effecienly on a 4.6. My new build is a DOHC 4.6 with a probable HP of 325, feed by 24lb. injectors, doing the math of HP divided buy number of cylinders, I'm well covered.
I just couldn't see 42's on a 4.6. Maybe if some small town cop had the $$$ in the budget to have his patrol car given a 5.4 with a healthy overbore, added a stroker crank, raise the compression up, and some serious cams and gears, MMMM?, maybe?
Thinking about that now, that would make for a sweet sleeper car wouldn't it?
I dont think I would want to get chased down by a build like that.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by lowflyingbird
There was a not publicized difference for the 97-98 models. I was under the assumtion just like everyone else that they were all the same as any other 4.6. Ford never stated that any change was done, to my knowledge.

I came across a highway interceptor engine amongst the few engines I just purchased. It was noted in the dismantles computed that it was a police Hwy car. I just needed a pre-PI 4.6. To my disbelief upon removing the 2 valve Non-PI heads, the normal 11cc pistons were not in the cylinders. Instead are a set of the common 4 valve almost flat top pistons. I recognized them immediately, since I just built a 4 valve DOHC motor for my F150. I checked everything out on the motor, including gasket dates. The motor was origional, and NOT rebuilt.
I have pulled apart newer PI motors from Taxi's which also have an Interceptor badge, and they were normal, with 18cc. dish heads. So I guess that they only made this type of change on the earlier police cars.

Lowflyingbird
Having been around since before the invention of dirt (according to my wife- LOL) I have seen enough discrepancies on Ford products to write a rather large book on. Clear back in the days of the model T, ol Henry was putting whatever he had handy in the cars he built and I don't that that ever really stopped (even when he died). It was not terribly uncommon to find some parts from the prior year used into the next year (had excess and used them up) or next years parts used in prior year (ran out early and pulled from next years model that had a changed design). I think Ford probably did it more than any other manufacturer. I have run into it a number of times when buying parts and was certain of the year and discovered the original part Ford used was from a different year. My 2 brothers are very knowledgable about Model A Fords and said that was very common back then- you were never sure what parts Henry had used to build a certain year car. I have no problem believing the engine was built in the factory with parts that are not what was common for that particular year/model.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Yes, you are right about that,

I have had many a Ford, and especially in last year models on a platform you find all kinds of changes. Usually good upgrades in brakes, atleast thats what I have found.
My favorite was a 97 extended Aerostar 4.0. It got the automatic 5 speed, while Explorers did not get it until 99. It also had a heavy duty drive shaft with CrownVic size U-joints and rear brakes. I had several Aerostars before that one which had none of that. They were also ext models with the 4.0.

The same reason that the early year 97 Explorer 5.0 motors had Cobra GT40 heads. An obvieous left over from the Mustangs that switched to 4.6L. Then mid year and later Explorers all had GT40P heads. I sell them all the time, have three sets now.

So, I guess the 42lb injectors are a possibility. It's just that it's a real $$ item and even on injector charts would be a vast overkill. Like mounting a Eaton blower on a Focus, OH?, wait, I think they did that???

Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
I checked parts catalog on a 98 and pistons, crank, and cams are all the same. So police package was just a supension upgrade I guess.

Ed

Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
cool. so do you think its special to the highway car, or just all the earlier 97-98 interceptors?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a 96p71 alog with my superduty. the block. head and internals are all the same as far i i know. intake and exhaust setup is different.

p71 vs reg crown vic differences.

oil,tranny and power steering coolers.

heavy duty battery and alternator. idle is set a few hunndred rpms higher to run all the police eqipment.

tranny tuned for firmer shifts like a factory shift kit.

has the beffier suspension bigger swaybars etc....

Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
i got a 96p71 alog with my superduty. the block. head and internals are all the same as far i i know. intake and exhaust setup is different.

p71 vs reg crown vic differences.

oil,tranny and power steering coolers.

heavy duty battery and alternator. idle is set a few hunndred rpms higher to run all the police eqipment.

tranny tuned for firmer shifts like a factory shift kit.

has the beffier suspension bigger swaybars etc....
I did code 3 outfitting for a major law enforcement agency and have driven many of the CV's as well as the Caprices and you are not going to catch a hot car with a CV. Maybe a late Caprice, pursuit Mustang or Camaro but not a CV. Those that think they are getting something really special with a P71 engine are kidding themselves. You catch 'em with the radio in a CV., not the throttle. I was never really impressed with the suspension and even the battery and alternator are not all that much set apart from the family CV, at least until they started putting the 200A alternator in them.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Suspended
Neat, I read all the posts, and understood nothing

Old 05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Neat, I read all the posts, and understood nothing
The previous post was pointing out the differences between the Caprice and CV (Crown Victoria) based on personal experience.

My personal experience is the major difference between the CV and Caprice is the rear door opening. The rear door of the CV is cavernous but, I guaruntee, when you are being placed in the backseat of a Caprice, you are going to bang your head every damn time.

Never fails.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a 96 caprice 9c1 vs a 96 p71 its no contest...350 kills 4.6. the new p71 is rated at 250 hp at theve crank.ive driven a 01 that was the first year with p.i heads and it moved pretty well.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 05-12-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
The previous post was pointing out the differences between the Caprice and CV (Crown Victoria) based on personal experience.

My personal experience is....
How far before the goats was your police experience?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
How far before the goats was your police experience?
As a general rule, you cannot make fun of someone who has already poked fun at themselves. Doing so is distasteful...

Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
I guaruntee, when you are being placed in the backseat of a Caprice, you are going to bang your head every damn time.

Never fails.
Yeah, these new police package vehicles suck. I hate those funny plastic seats with the cut-outs for the arms. What if you just aren't 5-10 to 6 feet tall, and medium built? And try spitting. Forget it. In the old days, you could at least spit on the cops through that metal screen. Today, spitting is just a waste of time with those plastic shields.

Another new addition is those kick-plates at the bottoms of the seats. You used to be able to tuck your feet nicely beneath the bottom of the cab divider. Now there is no leg room what-so-ever!! I remember one ride in the back of a cop car; the cop's back-up gun slid from under his seat right to where I was sitting in the back. When he was taking me out of the car, he saw the gun, and accused me carrying it and trying to ditch it in the back seat of his car. He said, "nice gun, I have one just like it". He felt pretty stupid when he figured out that it was his own gun that he was trying to pin on me.

Quick Reply: Police Interceptor motor, Contrary to belief...