have a spark issue also says lean

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a spark issue also says lean

Hi my 97 f150 4.6 has a missfire on the computer when I had the check engine light scanned.It alsosaid fuel system lean on bank 1and 2.The truck hasn't skipped fire that I could feel but it has lost power and got harder on fuel. The mechanic took out a couple plugs and said they looked black and to try a set of plugs and wires the coils were already replaced,does anyone else have any suggestions it is greatly appreciated.THANKS

Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
your truck is running lean and hes suggesting plugs? take it to someone who knows what there doing thats my sugestion...you either have a fuel restriction (plugged fuel filter etc) or a vacume leak.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
OORRRR- The wrong dang plugs are in there, if not, could be a fuel problem - maybe both...What spark plugs are you running ? When was the filter changed last?

Take a good look at all your PCV system lines - They develop holes in the rubber parts and the hard-line can fracture. Replace the PCV valve lately ?

Clean the MAF Sensor, if it hasn't been done in awhile.

Some helpful links -

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/fuelfilter.php

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php

Good Luck

Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Just a couple stupid questions where is the pcv valve located,how can you tell if its bad?Also where are the pcv lines this end of things I havent had to deal with yet.THANKS

Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I am trying to find the pcv line/elbow that gets mentioned so much and was just wondering if it is the line coming off the back of the throttle body going to the pass. side valve cover.Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Did you fix the misfire ? That's the first area that should be addressed? Lean codes will only cause a misfire situation if your fuel pump and regulator are not working properly. You may want to pressure test the pump + test the reg.

Anyway , your PCV system looks similar to this -

Last edited by jbrew; 02-22-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Ok so I am going to check the fuel pressure soon and was just wondering if the place that you hook up the guage is from what i found on the search on the fuel lines on the pass side and the pressure should be about 35psi.Just wondering if I had this right and also is there a certain kind of fuel psi guage for this cause I will need to buy one. Thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by croft4306
Ok so I am going to check the fuel pressure soon and was just wondering if the place that you hook up the guage is from what i found on the search on the fuel lines on the pass side and the pressure should be about 35psi.Just wondering if I had this right and also is there a certain kind of fuel psi guage for this cause I will need to buy one. Thanks

Just make sure it has a Ford Adapter if you purchase one. It will say on the packaging.

If you choose to use your old gauge and don't have a Ford adapter - using a valve stem tool, remove stem @ schrader valve and attach your gauge hose to the rail schrader w/hose clamp.

@ idle 30-45 psi

@ idle w/vacuum hose detached 40-50 psi

Hold pressure/key off/after 5 minutes 30-40 psi

System MAX = 65 psi

Regulator -

Connect a hand held vacuum pump to the regulator and read fuel pressure w/vacuum applied. Pressure should decease as vacuum is increased. (Vac pump tool is available @ most auto supply stores $20-$30.)

Detach the vacuum line from the regulator and verify vacuum is present when the engine is running.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-29-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 PM
ok so where is the regulator located on the fuel rail as well.so if I do have vaccum when the engine is running and disconnect the vac line how will I know,what will happen?Thanks again for the info thias is really a great help.

Quick Reply: have a spark issue also says lean