Truck Missing Dealer may be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck Missing Dealer may be wrong?

Hello forum I have a 2006 F-150 with 70,000 miles on it. The only modification that has been done to the motor is a K & n Cold air kit. Well my truk the last month when I went to pass under full pedal will miss and the check engine light will flash then a mile down the road everything will return to normal now just wout of the clear blue it will ose all power and miss. Now it is running better and mycheck engine light is staying on constantly, I took it to the dealer and they blamed my cold air intake and said it was ruining my mass air flow sensor ause there was some "dust" on the sensor are they for real or are they shooting in the dark like they do most of the time

Thanks for your help

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clean your MAF and see. That thing helps the computer tell what fuel/air ratio to give. It could be your problem. There are lots of other possibilities too.. like O2 sensor or TPS. Go to autozone and get the codes it is throwing for free and see what it says.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 PM
If you look around (SEARCH) the chips forum, you'll see that a CAI can cause a lean condition.....which can activate the CEL. Your dealer may not be wrong.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...18&postcount=5

If you clean the MAF, you can use brake cleaner....spray the little wires inside and then use compressed air to dry it (like the kind in a can typically used for computers). Reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery for 15-ish minutes. If you get another CEL, it could be the CAI. Maybe think about a tuner....

Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
What is the stored code/s? Until you know what the PCM is detecting, you don't know what to look for.
Missing can be plugs, boots, coils, fuel, injectors etc.
They all have different codes.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 AM
BSL
If it's during heavy acceleration you may just need to change fuel filter, I don't think that causes a CEL, that's other issues but at 70k if you've never changed it it may be time for a full tune up, filters, pcv, etc. good luck

Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by sudsmaster
Hello forum I have a 2006 F-150 with 70,000 miles on it. The only modification that has been done to the motor is a K & n Cold air kit. Well my truk the last month when I went to pass under full pedal will miss and the check engine light will flash then a mile down the road everything will return to normal now just wout of the clear blue it will ose all power and miss. Now it is running better and mycheck engine light is staying on constantly, I took it to the dealer and they blamed my cold air intake and said it was ruining my mass air flow sensor ause there was some "dust" on the sensor are they for real or are they shooting in the dark like they do most of the time

Thanks for your help
K&N's filter better the more they are plugged up, that is because the holes that allow them the breath better are made smaller by stuff stuck to them. The only way to move more air is with bigger holes, bigger holes let more stuff in. Been there, tried that, ain't doing it again. Dunno if it is your problem (doubt it) but they do let more stuff by.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Oil from the K&N getting onto the MAF sensor wires is a known issue. Clean your MAF.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
The only way to move more air is with bigger holes, bigger holes let more stuff in.
Not necessarily true. It's all about efficiency numbers. Bigger holes can be more efficient at trapping particulates, as is the case with an OILED element like the K&N.

The other way to move more air is with MORE holes, not just larger holes. The K&Ns often have more surface area and more holes than their equivalent woven paper counterpart. That doesn't make them any more efficient.

....but they do let more stuff by.
Care to qualify that statement? Ever done any controlled testing of the filter's efficiency? Ever measure the particulate size and count downstream of both a paper element and K&N? Without data, your statement is merely an opinion.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Oil from the K&N getting onto the MAF sensor wires is a known issue. Clean your MAF.
Agreed, my K&N in my Mustang was bad for this. Had to clean the MAF religiously. Also learned a lesson on over oiling the filters also. Gave me an excuss to buy a bigger MAF.

Going to clean the MAF in my Expy this weekend. It's spitting out the PO174 and PO172 codes.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

HMMMM That's strange........

Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
You have 70k miles on a 2006? Thats a TON of driving man, seriously

Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
change the fuel filter

Quick Reply: Truck Missing Dealer may be wrong?