Help! My ignition cylinder won't turn!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! My ignition cylinder won't turn!

I'm not sure if this is electrical or mechanical, so I'm not sure where this thread should go.

I got back from Lowe's with a load of 2x4's and parked my 01 F150 King Ranch Supercrew in the driveway. I came back out when I was done unloading and I can't turn the ignition cylinder. I tried with both keys and I can't figure out what the heck happened. Can anybody help? Is the turning of the cylinder purely mechanical or is there some electrical tie-in with the PATS module that will restrict turning the cylinder at all? Please help, as it is blocking the driveway and I can't get my other car out around it.

By the way, the THEFT indicator isn't flashing on the instrument panel either. What would cause that and is it related?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Not trying to be a smart ****,But did you try turning the steering wheel a little further left or right? Mine has had the the ignition cylinder lock up because the wheel was in just the right (or wrong) position when I shut her down.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep, I tried that. The steering wheel is locked, but I tried it going to both ends of the stops and still couldn't turn the key.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm not familiar with the F-150's lock cylinder, but you could try shooting some WD-40 into the hole, and wiggling the key in and out. On a regular lock, I would say it is a stuck pin. But I don't know about your truck. But in any case, WD-40 won't hurt anything.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
PATS system is only a passive anti-theft system it cannot cause this. there is only a pickup for the keys microchip at ignition cylider.The steering wheel locked too far will cause this you might want to try it again, if not the inside of the ignition cylinder may be fubarred or the key is now too worn to move tumbler in ignition cylinder.this may sound stupid but have you tried another known good key ?.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Had a similar problem with an 01 Excursion. Discovered that the key was not inserting fully into the lock cylinder. Had to jam the key into the cylinder by slamming it with the palm of my hand. After it was fully inserted the lock turned.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
The lock cylinder has worn out, letting the tumblers slip. The set of the tumblers determines what key will fit. Effectively, you now do not have the correct key for your own truck. Try a shot of WD40 on your key and wiggle (the key, that is) and hope for the best. I say spray on the key, vice the keyhole, because flooding the lock cylinder may just flush the worn parts the rest of the way out of their seats. If you can't get it to work, your best bet is to call a lock smith. I've drilled them out before, but it was a 4 to 6 hour job and you run the risk of ruining the ignition switch (the steering column part of the lock). BTW, just before you call the lock smith, go ahead and flood the cylinder with WD40 and try it one more time (at that point, you have nothing to lose). Good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Wow, I have a hard time believing it's worn out. The truck only has 65,000 miles on it. I tried jambing the key in and the WD-40 with no luck. I also tried my spare key that is brand new. No luck. Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by 06 So Comfort
The lock cylinder has worn out, letting the tumblers slip. The set of the tumblers determines what key will fit. Effectively, you now do not have the correct key for your own truck. Try a shot of WD40 on your key and wiggle (the key, that is) and hope for the best. I say spray on the key, vice the keyhole, because flooding the lock cylinder may just flush the worn parts the rest of the way out of their seats. If you can't get it to work, your best bet is to call a lock smith. I've drilled them out before, but it was a 4 to 6 hour job and you run the risk of ruining the ignition switch (the steering column part of the lock). BTW, just before you call the lock smith, go ahead and flood the cylinder with WD40 and try it one more time (at that point, you have nothing to lose). Good luck.
I had an ignition switch hang up on a 2000 Focus and was able to get the key to turn by squirting some WD40 into the cylinder and waiting for about an hour. Immediately replaced the core. I was told by the dealership that they would possibly have to drill the core out. Would you please elaborate on how you drilled it out. I would like to know in case I ever get one really hung up. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by NKENN
I had an ignition switch hang up on a 2000 Focus and was able to get the key to turn by squirting some WD40 into the cylinder and waiting for about an hour. Immediately replaced the core. I was told by the dealership that they would possibly have to drill the core out. Would you please elaborate on how you drilled it out. I would like to know in case I ever get one really hung up. Thanks!
The short answer is: Very Carefully

The last one I drilled out was on a '79 Mustang. I had the same thing happen on a Mk VII Lincoln, but I was able to get it out with the WD 40 and wiggle routine. I would be scared to try it on one of these "Smart Key" vehicles. I don't know where the RFID transmitter for the key is located. An occasional shot of graphite in your locks is a prudent maintenance procedure. Even if the lock doesn't wear out, it isn't unusual for the tumblers to stick. After reading this post, I think I will go home and lubricate all the locks on my cars/trucks.

Last edited by 06 So Comfort; 03-13-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My igniton did the same thing about a month ago. I have a 1997 F150 4x4 with 64,000 miles. No matter what I did it would not turn. I worked on it for a couple of hours. I had it towed to the dealership. Towing,labor and a new cylinder cost me $225.00. That is the first time I have had to pay a dealer to fix any of my vehicles, ouch! They said the cylinder just broke inside. I don't think it is very hard to fix yourself if you have a repair manual. I just didn't have the time to do it and it was extremely cold during that time. I think the new part cost around $80.00

Old 03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I just looked at the repair manual, and it looks as if drilling will indeed be required. In order to get the lock cylinder out, you have to depress the pin that holds it in with the key in the ON position. That's a little difficult when you can't turn it in the first place. I tried tapping on it with moderate force with a center punch and ballpeen hammer, but it wouldn't budge. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to drill out the pin, so maybe I'll just have it towed in. Maybe my roadside service with State Farm will come in handy and pay for towing to the dealer. Thanks for the ballpark on the cost too. That will tell me if the dealer gouges me. I've never actually had to pay for service before, as I've always been under warranty or been able to do it myself.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I've done a small amount of research on this issue becuase of my sister's Focus. Apparently it's VERY common for focus ignition switches to do this.

If you cannot get the key to turn by ANY means, then drilling is required. The pin mentioned above is the release for it. Many of the people I read about were able to forcefully turn the switch though. At this point, what do you have to lose if your faced with drilling it anyway? I'd think about pounding a screwdriver in there and turning it with that just to get to the release button. Once the cylinder is turned, it can be popped out and new one popped in easily.

Locksmiths are getting pretty familiar with this problem too. My findings suggested that calling a locksmith was cheaper than a fix by the dealer. They also seem to have taken to putting a better quality part in for a replacement. The word is that there are too many small moving parts in these things and they wear out prematurely.

Edit: BTW, this could become a Life Safety issue if it hasn't yet. There are many stories of people getting stranded in BFE or dangerous situations due to this. I sure would not want it to happen around here when it's 20 below and 50 mph winds.

Last edited by defective; 03-13-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I would try getting a piece of wire, ben it at a 90° angle, and run it in and out. Maybe it will release the stuck mechanism. Also, you could insert your key and tap it with a blunt object. Or you could spray more WD-40 in it and keep on wiggling it. At this point, it doesn't really matter if you break it in the process.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Are you parked on a steep hill?

I am not a 100% sure but don't these trucks even though they are automatics still have a neutral safety switch type lock out?

Not only do you need to move the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key make sure it is firmly in park.

Just a thought

Quick Reply: Help! My ignition cylinder won't turn!