Engine noise after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise after oil change

2004, F150, 5.4L, 21,000miles 5w20w Motorcraft oil.

Have noticed & guy changing oil also a terrible engine noise for 2-3 seconds after oil change then it goes away....any ideas, oil change guy said he has never heard that before. Truck runs fine. Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that when you change oil, there engine is without pressure for a few seconds until the new oil is picked up and pressure is restored. Might make a little noise, but should not be excessive.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by newmandl
I know that when you change oil, there engine is without pressure for a few seconds until the new oil is picked up and pressure is restored. Might make a little noise, but should not be excessive.
I am wondering if my 2004 truck is the only one doing this. It was loud enough for the guys eyes to get big and he reached to shut it down, then it quit.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:18 PM
I dont know where you live but 5w-20 oil is awful thin. I would only go 5w-30 myself but I am in NY

Old 12-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like he installed a dry filter. I always fill the filter up then install it. Some will leakout due to it being tilted as you screw it on plus less air in the oil system before it gets vented

I'd also make sure that he installed the right filter too. Heard the wrong one will make it knock too.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by RacingJake
Sounds like he installed a dry filter. I always fill the filter up then install it. Some will leakout due to it being tilted as you screw it on plus less air in the oil system before it gets vented

I'd also make sure that he installed the right filter too. Heard the wrong one will make it knock too.

Thanks, I will try those 2 ideas on next oil change....makes sense.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Use a Ford oil filter. The anti-drain valve is better.Fram,Wix,Purolator are so-so.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by mustangraven
I dont know where you live but 5w-20 oil is awful thin. I would only go 5w-30 myself but I am in NY
That is what I thought also, I live in South Texas, today is 75F. I am going to stay with manufactors recommendation. I have never used an oil that thin before getting this truck. Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Mine does it for a couple secs too. It just takes that long for the oil to circulate.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:24 PM
This works

Get a standard key cut to match your Pats Key ------ next time change oil and use this new key to turn over engine (it will not start with this key) until the oil light goes out. This may take several rpms using only the starter but the light will go out as soon as oil is picked up, now the oil filter is full and pressure in the engine. This stops dry engine start up after oil changes.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bubbadewsky
Get a standard key cut to match your Pats Key ------ next time change oil and use this new key to turn over engine (it will not start with this key) until the oil light goes out. This may take several rpms using only the starter but the light will go out as soon as oil is picked up, now the oil filter is full and pressure in the engine. This stops dry engine start up after oil changes.

Great idea!! Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by jdavisjr21
That is what I thought also, I live in South Texas, today is 75F. I am going to stay with manufactors recommendation. I have never used an oil that thin before getting this truck. Thanks
Abilene here and no wind, perfect for a Motorcycle ride

Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, i didnt know that was possible. who does it? ford make that key?

Old 12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
wow, i didnt know that was possible. who does it? ford make that key?

Got mine at walmart----any hardware store can make one, just like old blanks used prior to "pats" only differnce is the plastic thumbpiece is smaller

Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Or you could just hold the gas pedal to the floor until the oil pressure comes up. The engine will not crank with the pedal all the way down.

It's a good idea to run your engine right before you change the oil, so that the internals are already wet. So when it runs dry for a while, it won't matter cause the engine hasn't been off but a few minutes. But it's probably not a big deal. My jeep ticks constantly.

Quick Reply: Engine noise after oil change