Engine Tick????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Tick????

I have a new SCREW 2006 5.4

When Driving I hear this annoying "TICK" sort of sounds like "TSST" every so often. I did not notice it till a few days after buying the truck.

What is this? I have seen it mentioned in another post, but not much info.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valve Guides, lifters, cam chain, valve tap. could be anything in these POS engines

Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it sounds like a marble bouncing around under the cam cover it is more than likely a lash adjuster that is collapsed. This is easy to fix/replace. Hey Camarothatcould it is pretty obvious that you don't what you are talking about. Why not go work for Toyota and buy one of their POS trucks... Then again they probably wouldn't want you working for them bad mouthing their products. Better yet "Lube Tech" go try Jiffy lube..

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-10-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Suspended
I'm sorry, but with hearing about all the problems these engines have from the techs, and reading about them on here, and the big one- having all this hsit happen to my truck, pushed it over the egde for me... The 4x4 never wanting to cooperate, oil leaks, coolant leaks, rear axle seal dumping out a quart every other week. I can't help but badmouth them. And ofcourse i'll hear "every vehicle has their problems", well I would rather have Chevy problems than Ford problems. I mean wtf. Leaky head gaskets? Who gets that????

Old 12-10-2006, 08:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your truck Camarothatcould. I just happen to know how much effort we put into building the 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Those of us at the plant live and breath these engines. Whenever I hear someone bad mouthing them it's as bad as someone badmouthing my mother. Wish I could help you and everyone fix every problem believe me. These engines really are some of the best in the industry. Sorry I got wound up. Take care.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
I'm sorry, but with hearing about all the problems these engines have from the techs, and reading about them on here, and the big one- having all this hsit happen to my truck, pushed it over the egde for me... The 4x4 never wanting to cooperate, oil leaks, coolant leaks, rear axle seal dumping out a quart every other week. I can't help but badmouth them. And ofcourse i'll hear "every vehicle has their problems", well I would rather have Chevy problems than Ford problems. I mean wtf. Leaky head gaskets? Who gets that????

then why are you here?

Old 12-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your truck Camarothatcould. I just happen to know how much effort we put into building the 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Those of us at the plant live and breath these engines. Whenever I hear someone bad mouthing them it's as bad as someone badmouthing my mother. Wish I could help you and everyone fix every problem believe me. These engines really are some of the best in the industry. Sorry I got wound up. Take care.

Its not the people. Its the parts. Besides the ticks, the engine are great, I'll admit that, last a long time. But the fact of how they are sealed up.

Last edited by Camarothatcould; 12-10-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Fanuc
then why are you here?

To look for help to fix my problems... I had know about the line leaks for awhile, but just seeing that my head gaskets are leaking, and a freaking core plug, thats not good. Here are some pics of my leaks...

now I've got to pull my heads and most likely the entire engine to reseal and regasket everything.. that is rediculous

Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Dynotech,

Is there a link or other info on how to repair the lash adjuster? I think this sounds like my problem.
Thanks, Sancho

Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Suspended
Oh yea, forgot to add. On almost every oil change we do on the new F-150's, upon start-up of the engine, there is a knock for 5 seconds until the oil pressure goes up. I'm sure thats really good for the engine

Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not too much ya can really do about that now is there? you know the great thing about the tick's these engines have? i just picked up a running 5.4 because it has a tick. $350

Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 PM
One thing i miss about my 4.6 it was so much quieter than my 5.4 even after having the phasers replaced just annoying.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats a sign your lacking ponies if you cant hear your truck idle :P

Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Changing a lash adjuster is not that hard. Remove the cam cover from the suspect side. Rotate the cam shaft by tapping ignition key so the heel of the cam (low side) is resting on each follower as you check for play with your finger. You can check several followers with each rotation of the cam. What you are looking for is a follower that is loose. If you can move it with your fingers easily than the lash adjuster is probably collapsed. Remove the follower that is over the suspect lash adjuster by placing a large screwdriver between the upper end of the follower and the cam tower. Slowly twist the screwdriver until the follower pops off. A defective lash adjuster will be in the collapsed position. Rotate the cam ( you may not need to) so the cam nose is in a position to allow removal of the lash adjuster with needle nose pliers. Aquire a new lash adjuster. I usually put the new one in vise and slowly collapse it so it makes reassembly of the follower easy. Install the new lash adjuster and place the follower under the cam from the bottom. Placing the follower valve side over the valve stem first and pushing the upper end of the follower over the lash adjuster as far as possible. Then take the screwdriver and place the tip behind the lash adjuster end ( behind the pocket bubble) and slowly pry the follower over the new collapsed lash adjuster. Replace cam cover etc and start engine. Let it idle for a few so the new lash adjuster pumps up. You can also partially raise the cam by loosening the cam caps and perform the same procedure and it is even easier except that the other lash adjusters want to keep falling off. Do not attempt to completely remove the cam or the chain. You dont need to. Just raise the cam enough to allow R/R of suspect parts.You have to retighten the cam caps slowly alternating between them so you don't damage anything. I have changed hundreds of these at VO plants around the country. We had a supplier issue several years ago. But that problem was resolved at the plant level and we have not experienced it for years. Sometimes though a lash adjuster justs fails for no good reason. Good Luck

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-12-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Valve Lash Adjuster

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Changing a lash adjuster is not that hard. Remove the cam cover from the suspect side. Rotate the cam shaft by tapping ignition key so the heel of the cam (low side) is resting on each follower as you check for play with your finger. You can check several followers with each rotation of the cam. What you are looking for is a follower that is loose. If you can move it with your fingers easily than the lash adjuster is probably collapsed. Remove the follower that is over the suspect lash adjuster by placing a large screwdriver between the upper end of the follower and the cam tower. Slowly twist the screwdriver until the follower pops off. A defective lash adjuster will be in the collapsed position. Rotate the cam ( you may not need to) so the cam nose is in a position to allow removal of the lash adjuster with needle nose pliers. Aquire a new lash adjuster. I usually put the new one in vise and slowly collapse it so it makes reassembly of the follower easy. Install the new lash adjuster and place the follower under the cam from the bottom. Placing the follower valve side over the valve stem first and pushing the upper end of the follower over the lash adjuster as far as possible. Then take the screwdriver and place the tip behind the lash adjuster end ( behind the pocket bubble) and slowly pry the follower over the new collapsed lash adjuster. Replace cam cover etc and start engine. Let it idle for a few so the new lash adjuster pumps up. You can also partially raise the cam by loosening the cam caps and perform the same procedure and it is even easier except that the other lash adjusters want to keep falling off. Do not attempt to completely remove the cam or the chain. You dont need to. Just raise the cam enough to allow R/R of suspect parts.You have to retighten the cam caps slowly alternating between them so you don't damage anything. I have changed hundreds of these at VO plants around the country. We had a supplier issue several years ago. But that problem was resolved at the plant level and we have not experienced it for years. Sometimes though a lash adjuster justs fails for no good reason. Good Luck
This sounds like it may be my problem, but I'm getting lost in the terminology. Does anyone have any pictures of these parts?

Quick Reply: Engine Tick????