Drivebelt whistle

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivebelt whistle

After my truck sat for about a month and a half, it makes a very high pitched whistling/whining noise. I wasn't sure what it was coming from (although I suspected one of the drivebelt pulleys) so I pulled the drivebelt off and started the truck and it didn't do it anymore. All of the pulleys turn smoothly and the belt appears to be in good shape. I just can't pinpoint which pulley is making the noise. It just kind of starts and stops randomly and increases/decreases with the engine RPMs. It is so loud that I cannot even look down in there to try and figure out what's wrong. It is and annoyance and embarassment, although sometimes it kind of sounds like a turbo.

Oh, and it's not the typical slipping-belt, screeching noise you hear all the time on ****ty cars.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im willing to bet its the power steerig pulley. my crown vic squeals the same why especially when its colder out. belts fine, pullys fine. does it go away after driving a few miles??

Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
No if anything it gets worse the longer I drive. I've had power steering problems with other vehicles and it sounds nothing like this. I thought it may be the AC pulley but it doesn't make a difference if the AC is on or off. I also thought it may be the power steering but it doesn't change when I turn the wheels. I'm thinking it's a bad bearing but like I said, all of the pulleys turn perfectly. The only other thing I can think of is the crankshaft pulley. Is there a way to check that without taking a bunch of crap apart?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember i had a taurus had a bad tensioner. it made a clacking noise. when i took the belt off it spun fine. but when i put it back on clacking. the bearing was just worn enough to make noise.another thing take a old tooth brush clean the pulleys get in the grooves good. what do u have 4.6 5.4? crank pulley going is rare.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 12-05-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by jiggle
No if anything it gets worse the longer I drive. I've had power steering problems with other vehicles and it sounds nothing like this. I thought it may be the AC pulley but it doesn't make a difference if the AC is on or off. I also thought it may be the power steering but it doesn't change when I turn the wheels. I'm thinking it's a bad bearing but like I said, all of the pulleys turn perfectly. The only other thing I can think of is the crankshaft pulley. Is there a way to check that without taking a bunch of crap apart?
Usually, when the bearings on an idler or tensioner are going south, they make a kind of squealing/chirping sound, very high pitched, and shrill. Considering the length of time the truck sat, I would guess the battery took a s^^t and over-stressed the alternator. It's a good bet that's where the whine is coming from. What you really need is a stethoscope. With that, you can find exactly where the noise is coming from. Just be careful around the belt and fan while it's running.

If it's a idler/tensioner, you can replace the bearings in them. Just take it off and carry it down to any local bearing/clutch shop. They should have them in stock.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:26 PM
It's a 4.6L. It's just got me frustrated because I had a lot of stuff on the truck break all at one time. I finally fixed everything, started it up and now it makes this whistling noise. I don't know if I should continue driving it or not.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Well the alternator and battery are two of the many things that broke and were both replaced. When I noticed this problem, I assumed it was the new alternator since it hadn't been making this noise before I put it in. I went back to NAPA and exchanged it for another brand new one but the noise continued. I just went out and looked at it again and is seems to be coming from the tensioner/idler area so I'll pull both of those as soon as I can find my 1/2" drive breaker bar. Will an auto part store have the bearing so I can do it myself or is it something that needs to be pressed or some crap like that?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I got the same problem jiggle, verbatum. I call it my supercharger whistle. I'm betting it's the idler. I've cleaned, replaced and just plain given up and then stumbled on more info leading to the alternator or idler. I actually thaught it was the fan, so I put on e-fans. Ya, I wanted them anyways, but problem remained. It seems better with the new belt, not right away, but months later. I don't hear it like I use to, but it's there.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:06 AM
I'm going to take off the idler and tensioner pulleys tomorrow and have the bearings replaced. I'll post the results.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Alright I pulled the idler and tensioner pulleys off and the tensioner bearing was just about locked up. I soaked it in alcohol and then packed it with grease and no more whistling. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Drivebelt whistle