failsafe mode helppp

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
failsafe mode helppp

today i was pullin out of a parking lot and all of a sudden my truck lost power for a second and went into failsafe mode...almost got me killed... it's been doin this about once a month... i noticed it did it more after i got the edge... but it did it before i got the edge... i read that some ppl got a new throttle body and/or reflash i dont know what i need to to do to fix it.... let me know what i can do to fix it or tell the guys at the ford place what others have done to fix the problem... by the way it gave me a code the most rescent time it shut down it was p061 the edge could not read the code or didn't recognize it?

i rescently brought my truck to the ford dealership and they did not want to touch or fix anthing because of my lift.... but i gave a call to the ford dealership onwer (good friend's uncle) and he is suppose to reschedule a date for me to get everything fixed...

Last edited by blackf150337; 12-04-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Dealers are *******ing lost when it comes to anything aftermarket. When you think about it, most of their mechanics are truly noobs that haven't got much more than manufacturer's training and certifications. It's rare to find an actual mechanic who's worth his salt at a dealership. They usually break off and start up their own shop, or go work for some other private company and make a lot more money.

Almost 10 years ago, I brought a Stang into our local Ford shop. It was back-halved, sitting about 4" off the ground. I couldn't get it up on regular drive-on racks without it getting caught on the ramp. The dealer had one that lowered into the floor and it sat about flush. None of that was a problem "we do lowered cars all the time" they said. What was a problem was when they popped the hood as saw the caster/camber kits, they had no idea what to do with those! I thought that was strange as hell because you have to slot those strut towers sometimes to get the alignment back in spec, but NOOOOO, those kits flat blew them away. Honestly, those kits got more attention than the Paxton Novi 2000 did.

They will use anything and everything they can come up with some bizarre excuse to not help you. Often times, they will try to draw lines between two completely and obviously unrelated things that make less than zero sense to anyone who knows more about cars and trucks than where the gas goes. Just recently, a poster here was saying that their dealer thought the reason he was having problems was because the lube shop had used 5w-30 oil!

Grasping for straws............... nothing more than grasping for straws.

The big question everyone's going to be asking here is this, is your SES (service engine, CEL, etc) light on? Does it come on when this happens? Have you checked the codes, or checked for pending codes? Is the truck under warranty?

Oops, I guess you edited before I posted. I didn't see that code part when I replied. Are you sure that's right? It looks like you are missing a digit. For example P0100, P0161, etc.

Last edited by tritonpwr; 12-04-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you mean by "failsafe mode"??? Did the FailSafe Cooling (FSC) light come on?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Remove the Edge until the problem is fixed. This will eliminate a potential reason for the fault.

Steve

Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tritonpwr
They will use anything and everything they can come up with some bizarre excuse to not help you.
Dealers will do any and everything to cover their asses, not to shut you out. I'm tired of hearing this dumbass crap from people who have no idea how things work behind the scenes at a dealer. Ford won't pay dealers any additional time to climb up into your stump jumping truck with a massive lift that was already packaged and accessed poorly from the factory - the lift doesn't help matters any. And they certainly aren't gonna pay dealers for diagnosing a problem that may have been exaggerated by an aftermarket tuner. I don't like working for free - do you?

Now, back to the original topic, if your current dealer doesn't want to have anything to do with you, try another dealer, or worst case, call Ford Customer Service and explain to them what's going on. But I can understand their reluctance in working on your truck. It's not fun working on something that you need a step ladder to get up into engine compartment.

Last edited by Quintin; 12-05-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The code, even if it is 061 or 161 are both an oxygen sensor code indicating a fault with #2 heater circuit.
This is usually far from anything to do with fail safe operation.
I see you have a custom exhaust; is there a burnt wire or bad plug?
If it intermittantly shorts to ground it might cut vollage enough to cause a total momentary cutout. This may indirectly trigger a fail safe indication.
As to opinion on vehichle mods; when you do them and anything happens, expect to have a problem of some sort. Aftermarket wheels, lift kits, anything the mfg didnot supply on the truck is subject to being a problem with the insurance company and especially in event of an accident total loss.
Most insurance costing is based on a stock vehichle equippage.
Put a super charger on and tell the insurance company and your premium just might go up. Have an accident with the lift kit on, who pays the extra cost?
There's a saying "you play-you pay".

And life goes on!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you've informed your insurance agent about your mods & are paying whatever premium they've stipulated to cover those mods, then THEY pay when anything happens.

If you DON'T tell them, or refuse to pay the extra premium to cover the mods, then YOU pay when they break.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 PM
fail safe mode

I have a 2004 scab lariet 5.4, it has been edged for 3 months. Twice it has gone into fail safe mode on level 3 setting, each time i didnt give the truck time to idle down after first starting before taking off,it immediatly went to fail safe. First time no codes , second time somthing about an idle solenoid or somthing.Each time i just cleared codes n reprogramed truck, ever since i give the truck a little time to idle down n havn't had any problems since. Been 2 months n no more problem. Bad habbit not letting truck warm up anyway but somtimes i get in to much of a hurry.By the way buying the edge was the best $330 I could have spent. Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
engine failsafe

Guess I spoke to soon,did it again this morning.Code was p2106 throttle actuator control system-forced limited power.3 times in 3 months guess i can live with that,only does when you first start it n try to take off.Turn key off n restart n it's fine.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Code 2106 is for throttle by wire operation.
The code results from the loss of a critical sensor or PCM fault, forces the control system into a very limited operation.
A max rpm is allowed based on the TPS position.
If this limit is exceeded, the ignition and fuel are cut to maintain and prevent a runawy condition as well as other operation are defaulted..
This is the fail safe operation.
It works like this because you have no direct throttle (cable) control like older trucks.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nine times out of ten, P2106 and/or P2135 is fixed with a new TPS and reprogramming the PCM to the latest available calibration.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:58 AM

ok so should i go to the ford dealership and just tell them i have this problem........and i have read that most dealerships fix it by reflashing and changing out the tb.... and give them the code i get?

Old 12-09-2006, 12:44 PM
If you want it resolved then return any tuning programs back to stock, take the programmer out. This is important to do or you get locked out of using the tuner again after a re-flash and upgrade.
Tell them you know there is an upgrade to fix the problem.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:12 PM

alright ill make an apmnt and try... thanks for all the help

Old 11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by blackf150337
alright ill make an apmnt and try... thanks for all the help
So how did you make out at the stealers with your problem? Just curious as mine did it to me once. Has not done it again yet!

Quick Reply: failsafe mode helppp