No crank,no fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No crank,no fun

Hello, I'm a new member with a 2000 F150 4.6v8, 100,000 miles on a clean and great looking truck.I just bought it about a month and a half ago and love it . I went to start her up today and NOTHING happened when I turned the key. I have full battery power ,all the bells and whistles lit up ,so I am at a loss at why it won't crank. This is the first time it has done anything like this, it has been starting and running great.Any ideas would be welcome .Thanks and glad to be a Ford member.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have a keyless car starter?

Try turning your truck on and off several times (like 6 or 7 times) wait 30 seconds then try to start. Never had this problem myself , but read posts of people trying that method and it working.

Manually turn your motor by pulling on your surp belt or use a breaker bar on your crank bolt. Then try to start.

Check your cables to your starter - disconnect your battery first.

Check all your fuses - even the two 75's on the firewall by the battery, if your model has these.

If there has been no prior evidence of failure then one of these suggestions should help you.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 AM
RRT
I will suggest getting a rubber hammer or block of wood and rap on the starter to see if it has froze up. If nothing still, check the connections and make sure you are getting 12v to it. If if your getting 12v and still nothing and you have tried the suggestion above you might want to take it off and have it tested. Not too falimiar with these trucks(security systems), but have done lots of troubleshhoting on my Corvettes.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 AM
my truck did the same thing about a month ago. i got home from work, shut it off, then remembered that i forgot to go to the store so i tried to start it and nothin. it had power but wouldnt crank. i changed the solenoid on the firewall and nothin. started to disconnect the starter to change it and noticed the ground wire was rusted through where the coating doesnt protect it right at the starter. so i fixed that and changed the starter since it was halfway off and cause i had to beat on it a few times to get it off. works great

Last edited by roscoe01c; 09-03-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm betting that it's that ground wire Roscoe has mentioned - Make sure you let us know when you figure it out, Stove..

Thanx

Old 09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I would also check to make sure the PATS system is functioning properly...the theft lamp should go out after three seconds when inserting the key....if it continues to blink or is flashing rapidly a problem is there...

Old 09-03-2006, 02:50 PM
I have a feeling that's what it is too. when I went under the truck ,there seemed to be a bit of bare wire poking out of the wire wrap right at the starter connecter. Thanks

Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Stove2k
Hello, I'm a new member with a 2000 F150 4.6v8, 100,000 miles on a clean and great looking truck.I just bought it about a month and a half ago and love it . I went to start her up today and NOTHING happened when I turned the key. I have full battery power ,all the bells and whistles lit up ,so I am at a loss at why it won't crank. This is the first time it has done anything like this, it has been starting and running great.Any ideas would be welcome .Thanks and glad to be a Ford member.

Ive had a 97' and now an 02', same problem, terminal rots off the end of the cable. Theres enough slack to clean the end and put a copper/solder type end on it, then pack it with dilectric grease and re-install. Im going to fabricate a shield for that side when I get some extra time. And of course, disconnect the battery before repairing.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 PM
That's what it has to be .Goin'to a bbq today ,but I'm gonna get into it first thing monday, Thanks for your input.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I haven't had to dig into my 02's cab wiring much (yet); so somebody tell me if I'm off-base.

What I'm wondering is whether or not a "neutral safety" or "clutch safety" switch is involved. Been there done that, with my old F100 and both the Chevy trucks between that one and my "new' one. The neutral safety switch slipped out of adjustment on both the auto-tranny-equipped F100 and the first Chebbie; and the clutch lockout switch failed on the 5-speed '91 Silverado after 14 years of banging through the gears. Under the circumstances, that'd be my first check; unless the PAT or ECM handles that nowadays?

Secondly, I've had trouble with no less than 5 tilt-columns (cars and trucks from all the "big-three" automakers). Usually, the vehicle won't start with the column tilted either all the way up or all the way down. In fact, on the present F150 (2002); I can't get the key rotated all the way to the "OFF" position (and out of the lock) unless I tilt the wheel almost full-up.

I used to call that second problem my "Okie Anti-Theft Device". (Apologies to all the Oklahomans out there)

Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Talking Found it!

The problem with my " No Crank " problem turned out to be my
"Neutral switch" . All fixed and ready to go .
Thanks for the ideas. ( right on Desert Dawg )

Last edited by Stove2k; 09-07-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: No crank,no fun