Complaints; ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complaints; ecoboost

I have a 2000 with the 4.2L V-6 and this heading covers that engine but also includes the "Ecoboost" V-6. Now I'm new to F150s and prior to getting mine I knew nothing about them.
First of all let me state that this forum has been very interesting and helpful to me. I've had question in the past and have gotten good info on here.
Now, what is an Ecoboost V-6 and why do they seem to have so many problems. Recent threads include; Ecoboost acceleration problems, disappointed with Ecoboost, Ecoboost overheating, Ecoboost sluggish acceleration, and etc.
What changed from the 4.2 V-6 that I have to the present engine? Is it an improvement or something else?
Let me add, in closing, that I've been very pleased with my F150. I'm just hoping that I don't have as much trouble with mine as some/many do with the Ecoboost engine.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Your motor shares nothing in common with the Ecoboost.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
yer truck has very little in common with the ecotooter....except the blue oval and f150 badges....

Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 PM
haha ill be the one to do it. op your motor is na or naturally aspirated. the new ecoBOOST is forced induction meaning more power from the turbos. problems arose from intercoolers, license plate placement, and towing in the top gear (i believe). thats all i can help with. fingers crossed youre not a troll

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's nothing in common between your 4.2 and the 3.5 EB other than the logo. The 4.2 is a cast iron block, push rod motor from the Essex series of motors. The EB is an aluminum block DOHC from the Duratec series.

A lot of the threads if you read them are due to people not having realistic expectations of the motor. They have seen the ads on TV about getting low 20s, towing 11,000 pounds and heard the stories about it being fast. Well, it's all true but not at the same time. You can't tow 11,000# at 80MPH and get 20MPG. If you want MPG you have to keep your foot out of it. Also, the power delivery is extremely linear and smooth. It doesn't seem to be as quick as it is. Most people are used to there being a big power surge as the tach climbs. This motor has less than 20Ft-Lb difference in torque from 2000RPM to over 5000RPM, it just goes.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM
I realize that the engine in my 00 F-150 is not an Ecoboost. That was not the question. I was asking why that engine seems to have so many problems.
jdeacon gave an answer. Troll my ***.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I know 7 people with ecoboost f150's including myself that dont have any issues what so ever with. The people that have issues turn to the internet for answers which gets blown way out of proportion from others with their opinions. just something ive noticed.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JuddFX4
I know 7 people with ecoboost f150's including myself that dont have any issues what so ever with. The people that have issues turn to the internet for answers which gets blown way out of proportion from others with their opinions. just something ive noticed.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android
Throw me and a friend into that mix. Between the two of us we have around 120,000 trouble free miles on our trucks. My friends company has 3 or 4 guys with EB trucks and not a one has had engine problems. They average 80,000 a year.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 PM
The problems are well documented on the EB, just search these forums and other forums as well. Ford is still working on fixing the problems.... although it was released in 2010.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I wouldn't buy one as I'm a die hard v8 guy (unless it's a diesel) but nearly 70% of the new f150's in my area are ecotooters. I know many have issues, buy I see a lot and I mean a lot of them everyday and they aren't all having issues. I'm still having a hard time processing how many I see each day. It blows my mind.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Just to add, Ford pushes that motor hard in advertising. I've never seen a 5.0 advertised in my life. It's working for sure. Your 4.2 is an incredibly reliable engine bud... Much simpler too. I'm not into all the new stuff, too computer controlled for me.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 PM
From the people I know, one guy is disapointed (somewhat) with the mileage. For a 4x4, Supercrew with the HP, torque and weight of his truck, his mpg seems tolerable to me, but he expected better.

In terms of towing, power and all around performance, everyone I've spoken with is very pleased, even the guy who wanted better mpg.

No one I've talked (fairly limited sample) has stalling, acceleration or overheating problems.

FWIW, the manual advises using premium fuel for extreme service.

Also, under a heavy load, lugging a motor at low rpm can result in extreme combustion chamber temps and pressures, resulting in overheating. IMO, that's a problem with physics and being in the wrong gear, not with the ecoboost.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every engine has issues. Its a very complex machine. My EB plain hauls ***. Mileage isnt great, unless I do a long highway drive. Ive seen 21 mpg on a trip, but in near perfect conditions. Mid June, no wind, fairly flat roads. This engine chugs when in stop and go traffic, boosted also means its getting more fuel, not just air. I'm lucky to see 14 mpg in the city.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wookie
A lot of the threads if you read them are due to people not having realistic expectations of the motor. They have seen the ads on TV about getting low 20s, towing 11,000 pounds and heard the stories about it being fast. Well, it's all true but not at the same time. You can't tow 11,000# at 80MPH and get 20MPG. If you want MPG you have to keep your foot out of it. Also, the power delivery is extremely linear and smooth. It doesn't seem to be as quick as it is. Most people are used to there being a big power surge as the tach climbs. This motor has less than 20Ft-Lb difference in torque from 2000RPM to over 5000RPM, it just goes.

I don't believe that's all the OP was getting at. I think he was touching up on the stalling/hesitation issues that come out of nowhere. What I have seen is allegedly from condensation buildup in the engine, due to a skimpy intercooler. From that reading, Ford also has devised some pretty skimpy Band-Aid type fixes for that as well.

For you, where you have 45% relative humidity right now, that's probably not as big a deal...whereas, where I am at here in the Houston area, that issue will likely be more apparent with our 90% humidity right this moment.

If Ford would push some 3.7L SCrews, I'm all aboard, FWIW.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For every EB complaint you read about on enthusiast forums there are enumerable satisfied EB owners out there on the roads in America.

Quick Reply: Complaints; ecoboost